Go Back Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Nutrition

� #1
Old 09-24-2010, 07:20 AM
Lecturer
EarlyBird is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Just to let you know........

https://www.ourhealthcoop.com has Liquid Stevia - 2oz for $9.95 and 2% Lugol's Iodine for $10.99.

For anyone who's interested. My order arrived in 4 days - great people to work with.
� #2
Old 09-24-2010, 12:20 PM
Enlightener
D Bergy has a spectacular aura aboutD Bergy has a spectacular aura aboutD Bergy has a spectacular aura about

Thank you for the information.

How does a person know whether they are low on Iodine or not?

I know there is the skin absorption test, but that does not seem like it would be accurate. Is there some other indicator or method to determine this?

Dan
� #3
Old 09-24-2010, 12:37 PM
Standing at the Portal
Arrowwind09 has a spectacular aura aboutArrowwind09 has a spectacular aura about

I think you can have a blood test for it buy your doc will look at you like your nuts.

Everyone is low in iodine, unless you eat like a Japanese person. You can't really over do it. Excess goes out the uriine. But if you only take 12 mg a day you should utilize all of that. Medicinal levels of dosage can go much higher... much much higher.

Sometimes when I do the skin thing it disappears in under 6 hours and thats even with supplementation. So no, I don't think the skin diagnostic is very accurate. But times when I was sure I was saturated though oral application it has stayed on me for a couple of days.

BTW, stevia is much cheaper at Iherb, almost half price, and I purchase my iodine from Ecuador from Alpha Omega Labs that got run out of the US for selling products that can cure cancer. You can get a 15% solution for about 10.00 Then I turn that into 3 bottles of 5% solution. Shipping is minimal.
� #4
Old 09-24-2010, 12:49 PM
perpetual student
jfh is a glorious beacon of lightjfh is a glorious beacon of lightjfh is a glorious beacon of lightjfh is a glorious beacon of lightjfh is a glorious beacon of lightjfh is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Bergy View Post
Thank you for the information.
I know there is the skin absorption test, but that does not seem like it would be accurate. Is there some other indicator or method to determine this?

Dan
The disappearance test is not really relevant, unless you know what the disappearance rate was when you were not deficient. It is typically indicated by painting a postage stamp size of iodine on the skin. If it disappears in 2 hours, you are deficient.

Urine testing is best. Check here for laboratories, addr and phones. https://www.optimox.com/pics/Iodine/loadTest.htm

Currently, there are four Laboratories performing the iodine/iodide loading test: Doctor's Data, Inc. in St. Charles, IL, FFP Laboratories in Flat Rock, NC, Hakala Research in Lake Wood, CO. and Labrix Clinical Services Inc. in Oregon City, OR. All three labs supply their own protocol for details on collection of urine samples, pooling samples for 24 hr. and sending a 2 ounce aliquot to the Laboratory for analysis.

We recommend this general outline:
1) Have patient stop ingesting iodine 24 to 48 hours before the test if post- supplementation.
2) Discard first morning void;
3) Take 4 tablets of Iodoral� (in a sealed plastic packet);
4) Start collection of urine, following instructions from the Lab that supplied you with the Kit;
5) The first void on the following morning should be included in the urine collection;
6) If total urine volume is above 3 liters, follow instructions supplied with the Kit.

"Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.." - Albert Einstein
� #5
Old 09-24-2010, 07:45 PM
Enlightener
D Bergy has a spectacular aura aboutD Bergy has a spectacular aura aboutD Bergy has a spectacular aura about

I read in one place that you can take too much Iodine, and in another that you will excrete any excess. Maybe I try the 12mg and see if I notice any effect from it.

I did not expect to get all of the good information, I did. Lots of knowledge here.

Thank you.

Dan
� #6
Old 09-25-2010, 05:01 AM
Lecturer
EarlyBird is on a distinguished road
Cool Thyroid/Iodine Testing! D Bergy

There's also another test to check for thyroid - Shake down an oral thermometer and put on night stand
beside the bed, the night before doing the test. Before getting out of bed the next morning, take your temperature.
If the temp is below 98.6 then supposedly you are low in Iodine. The lower your temp, the more deficient you are.
� #7
Old 09-25-2010, 07:49 AM
perpetual student
jfh is a glorious beacon of lightjfh is a glorious beacon of lightjfh is a glorious beacon of lightjfh is a glorious beacon of lightjfh is a glorious beacon of lightjfh is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by D Bergy View Post
I read in one place that you can take too much Iodine, and in another that you will excrete any excess. Maybe I try the 12mg and see if I notice any effect from it.

I did not expect to get all of the good information, I did. Lots of knowledge here.

Thank you.

Dan

The Japanese diet shows an average of 12MG of iodine daily. That includes adults, children, pregnant women, the sick, the athletes, etc.

The "iodine doctors" tested saturation by measuring elimination in the urine. So you assumption is correct. Excess will be eliminated.

https://www.iodine4health.com/