Can not sleep

Supracath12

I can not sleep. I have been so tired and go to bed and then I toss and turn. What can I do to help get me to sleep and stay asleep? I eat pretty good, get exercise and also do not have tons of stress in my life.

JanH

Melatonin (but in much higher doses than the piddly 3mg frequently sold). Also sound generators or subliminal CDs that generate sleep-inducing soothing sounds help me. Benedryl or the PM versions of OTC pain killers perhaps on a very occasional basis, but be aware they can cause dry mouth, vivid dreams or nightmares, and long term supposedly can cause dementia.

jfh

perpetual student
The one thing that helps me when all else fails is 5-HTP. Sometimes, I will also take it with 5mg Melatonin. Magnesium is also relaxing, and greatly helps when I feel like I might have restless leg syndrome (occasional).

naturegal

I can not sleep. I have been so tired and go to bed and then I toss and turn. What can I do to help get me to sleep and stay asleep? I eat pretty good, get exercise and also do not have tons of stress in my life.
Seems the harder I try to fight to get to sleep, the more insomnia I have. I've learned to just keeping reading. Reading help relax me, and I also have tinnitus which the worst enemy of tinnitus is total quiet around me. So I usually have to turn on a little, nature, sound app on my phone. If it's rain, that seems to help me the most. I can read with that sound going on.

So I found that just anything that will relax me, and keep my mind away from "thinking" helps me get drowsy. But like I said, if I lay there and think about trying to fall asleep, I definitely don't:(

I don't know how it is for you, I'm just saying this is the type of insomnia I get. I will walk up to 6 miles, or go to the gym and dance freestyle, lift some weights, walk home, and have a good dinner (nutritious) and I can still get insomnia. Tea helps, I forgot about that, like the sleepytime. But if my mind is trying to do a marathon of thinking, nothing I put in my body will help me sleep.

I just happened to wonder if I am awake because I'm thinking, or am I thinking because I'm awake, LOL!!

Sorry, I know it's not funny, I sympathize with you, and relate.

naturegal

The one thing that helps me when all else fails is 5-HTP. Sometimes, I will also take it with 5mg Melatonin. Magnesium is also relaxing, and greatly helps when I feel like I might have restless leg syndrome (occasional).
On the magnesium jfh, do you take it in pill form, or the transdermal I think it's called?

I want to get some because a lot of things are caused by deficiencies as we age, I'm 63 now. I didn't like taking magnesium because it gave me the trots, but I read this a.m. that you can use it topically, or there are even bath "salts"?

jfh

perpetual student
On the magnesium jfh, do you take it in pill form, or the transdermal I think it's called?
I have used the transdermal mag, called magnesium oil. It works very well and very quickly for getting more magnesium in the body.

I take magnesium as a capsule. I avoid mag oxide, because it is not used well by the body and just sits in the intestines collecting water. This is why it causes loose bowel movements. So, always look for magnesium citrate (citric acid), magnesium malate (malic acid comes from skin of apple), or any other form of magnesium bound with some acid. Supplement vendors use mag oxide, because it is cheap. It really does work, if you are constipated though. I have used it many times for that.

u&iraok

Oh, my goodness, this is my subject! I sleep poorly so I've been working on this for years and have gotten a lot better.

Everything Jan says.

Also, make your room dark with black out curtains. Wear ear plugs if noises wake you up. Fresh air works best for sleep with room at a cool temperature. Try not to use tv or electronics for an hour before bed. No caffeine from the afternoon on. Warm bath before bed. Exercise several hours before bed.

Supplements: melatonin, timed release and quick release. Some experts say that lower amounts work better than higher amounts. Other sleep products, I have a few favorites I like, experiment to see which ones you like. Sour cherry juice also contains melatonin and can be helpful.

You may have vitamin deficiencies--calcium, magnesium, potassium, trace minerals, B12 and the Bs, other deficiencies.

There could be problems with the neurotransmitters. Things that help with those are: 5-HTP, Tryptophan, l-theanine, St. Johns Wort, gaba.

Herbs for relaxation such as chamomile, kava kava (don't take too much of this), passion flower, valerian, etc.

Ajax

Very old school solution: read a book when you get into bed - nothing too exciting -- no murder mysteries or horror. Non-fiction is best. If something you bought came with a big instruction manual, that may do it. As soon as you find yourself nodding off, drop the book and turn out the light.

Valeria

Think about it the other way! You were given the gift of time! You can now think of a million things, get your plans straighten out, revise your past and think about the future. Maybe write a story in your head, and then one day it would be a great book)))

liverock

I don't know how it is for you, I'm just saying this is the type of insomnia I get. I will walk up to 6 miles, or go to the gym and dance freestyle, lift some weights, walk home, and have a good dinner (nutritious) and I can still get insomnia.
Exercise like this can cause insomnia as exercise raises the hormones cortisol and endorhins levels, you need low cortisol levels to fall asleep.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/406378-cannot-sleep-after-exercise/

neotheone

<3mg Melantonin, maybe some daily magnesium supplements(beneficial to me).

"White noise" also helps, IMO. I used to have a HEPA air purifier in the BR, discarded it when it got old. I am shipping for a new one, definitely the white noise helps, plus purifying the air in the sleeping room is of value.

Senex

If you are lucky enough to live in a State having medical marijuana laws, and you can get it legally, that is likely your best bet. I'm a chronic insomniac, and always have been, but years ago when I used to smoke it, I had trouble staying awake, but never getting to sleep...and it was a deep sleep. Now that I'm retired, I can go to sleep when I want, and wake up when I want, so don't need it.

Ron Brown

ONE OF THE SIGNS OF LOW MAGNESIUM IS THE INABILITY TO SLEEP. IF YOU ASK AN MD WHAT WAS WRONG HE WOULD WHIP OUT THAT PAD AND WRITE YOU A PRESCRIPTION FOR SOME POISON HE CALLS A SLEEPING PILL. NOW THAT THAT'S REAL IGNORANCE FOR YA. MY QUESTION IS HOW CAN THOSE SO CALLED SMART PEOPLE THAT CAN MAKE IT THROUGH MEDICAL SCHOOL BE SO IGNORANT IN PRACTICE. BUT HE HAS A PAPER ON THE WALL, AND HE IS SO SMART. BEING SMART AND BEING IGNORANT ARE TWO DIFFERENT THINGS. MDS ARE IGNORANT, AND SMART ALL AT THE SAME TIME. END RESULT IS THE DEATH OF THE PATIENT.

JamesL

I have the same problem too. Sometimes I can't sleep for 2 or 3 days. It's awful. Could you recommend me something effective? I've tried almost everything.....

Ron Brown

I have the same problem too. Sometimes I can't sleep for 2 or 3 days. It's awful. Could you recommend me something effective? I've tried almost everything.....
You obviously have not tried quality magnesium supplements for any length of time. Minerals are not like drugs they do not work in a day or two it takes time just as it took time for you to get in the condition you are in now.

Xander

Think about it the other way! You were given the gift of time! You can now think of a million things, get your plans straighten out, revise your past and think about the future. Maybe write a story in your head, and then one day it would be a great book)))
I thought this was the worst advice, because thinking on my plans, and revising my past is bad news for me, but then I gave it a chance. The story part. Maybe this is good advice, and the reason I am being kept up at night. Maybe.

jaminhealth

Not sleeping has got to be god awful. I've made up my own sleep combo and that was about 15 yrs ago and I'm now soon 81...and I sleep like a newborn.

And since my daughter has me taking a HGH homeopathic product I'm even sleeping better, My dreams last night were unbelievable.

If anyone wants to hear what I use, let me know.

Magnesium is huge in my life and I take it thru the day....not just at night.

PetryG

Try "toe tapping!" It helps me with insomnia so much!!

There's a video explaining it here:

summer26

Valerian root may improve the ability to fall asleep and achieve high-quality sleep .

happy2bhere

Observing cool stuff
I began the NO BLUE LIGHTS after dusk protocol a few years back. I have certain yellow bulbs in some lamps, and a yellow night lite. It helps me. There also is NO computer on, NO WIFI! on, NO TV in sleeping rooms, NO CORDLESS PHONE!! pretty much nothing plugged in but a lamp with a yellow bulb. I've done some electrical readings and the room is pretty sound - no crazy EMF/RF and all that. A fridge on the other side of the apt wall in room runs at time so the NO METAL bed/mattress was moved until the reading was very low to basically zip.
My orange glasses go on to watch a little netflix or whatever - youtubes on health? - I don't have regular channels due to medicine ads that seem to be aimed at women! ugh... for two hours before going to bed. I also fast three hours before bed too -- for dementia prevention.

works for me. lavender spray on pillows is nice, too :)

Norman

''smile and the world will smile back''
Not sleeping has got to be god awful. I've made up my own sleep combo and that was about 15 yrs ago and I'm now soon 81...and I sleep like a newborn.

And since my daughter has me taking a HGH homeopathic product I'm even sleeping better, My dreams last night were unbelievable.

If anyone wants to hear what I use, let me know.

Magnesium is huge in my life and I take it thru the day....not just at night.
I am interested in what you use for sleep...please reply