Does use of Valerian cause vivid, frighting dreams?

Norman

''smile and the world will smile back''
When I use Valerian to help me sleep, I have vivid alarming dreams. Does anyone else experience this when using Valerian?

jaminhealth

I don't use Valarian, it never did anything for me and deep sleep. But I use low dose melatonin, Calms Forte' (homeopathic) and use HGH homeopathic gel daily for anti aging benefits and I have deep sleep and vivid dreams but I enjoy my dreams..I go to another world when I'm sleeping.

Norman

Original Poster
I don't use Valarian, it never did anything for me and deep sleep. But I use low dose melatonin, Calms Forte' (homeopathic) and use HGH homeopathic gel daily for anti aging benefits and I have deep sleep and vivid dreams but I enjoy my dreams..I go to another world when I'm sleeping.
Thanks for your reply, I have very disturbing dreams. It does help me sleep. but the dreams I have put me on edge. I was just wondering if anyone else experienced bad dreams. Sounds like you enjoy your sleep time, I might try something else.

jfh

perpetual student
I have the same problem with melatonin, Norman. Very disturbing dreams. But I still take melatonin. I haven't found much of anything that will help me get to sleep and stay there. Also, melatonin reserves at older age diminish. It's also a very good antioxidant.

jaminhealth

Work with L Thyptophan and P5P (B6) about an hour before hitting the pillow and it makes a big difference in Staying asleep and getting back once one goes to bathroom etc...For me, it makes a huge difference and I love the sleep I get...of course the HGH homeopathic gel is probably increasing my overall health by 50% I'd say, and am using it a year come Feb 2020.....j

Norman

Original Poster
I have the same problem with melatonin, Norman. Very disturbing dreams. But I still take melatonin. I haven't found much of anything that will help me get to sleep and stay there. Also, melatonin reserves at older age diminish. It's also a very good antioxidant.
I guess we just have to live with the vivid dreams which would be okay, but mine are flashbacks that I don't want. I almost never dream unless I take valerian , I probably will go back to melatonin. Another issue I seem to have when using valerian is that my blood pressure drops to low.? Thanks for your reply.

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
I stopped using Melatonin for a while because my bad dreams were amplified. I used Skullcap herbal tincture and that worked okay, although I did have a bad dream with it. When the bottle ran out, I bought Valerian tincture, just around a week ago. I have to say I had one disturbing dream on it, but I can't really blame it all on that herb.

I've found that even when I take a half of a Unisom capsule, which is just an antihistamine that makes you sleepy, I can have a series of nights where dreams are not a problem, but then I will have one upsetting dream. Honestly, even when I take no sleep supplements or meds, there are times we all seem to have 'nightmares' or bad dreams.

Dreams are just an outlet, if we have a bad one it's probably a sign that something is disturbing us in our everyday life or sub-conscience. It's nature's way of giving us an outlet of our fears and worries, and we should accept them more readily rather than try to escape them completely. Some people don't dream at all, or never remember their dreams, and that, in my opinion, is worse than having a bad dream.

jaminhealth

I believe that dreaming is a good thing and one goes into healing sleep. I have never dreamed that much in my younger life, but with the sleep supplements I take including 1/2mg Melatonin, I have a busy night...but not bad dreams, interesting I would call it. 10 hrs of interest.

I believe I read that unisom can mess with the memory. Check that out.

Here is where I read about unisom and include benzos in this list too.

https://www.beyondhealthnews.com/wpnews/index.php/2013/01/drugs-that-can-destroy-your-brain/

jfh

perpetual student
Unisom ingredient = diphenhydramine HCl
Benadryl ingredient = diphenhydramine HCl

If you are going to use it, get the less expensive one at least. Most of the over the counter sleep aids contain that ingredient.

Tobinn

When I use Valerian to help me sleep, I have vivid alarming dreams. Does anyone else experience this when using Valerian?
Each herb (like each pharmaceutical) can affect one person differently than someone else. Valerian has been so noted:
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/valerian-root-side-effects
Most cases of Insomnia can be traced to bad habits or lifestyle choices (too much coffee, not enough exercise, etc.). That said, if you live in a state where marijuana is legal, or medical marijuana is legal, that would be your optimum herbal solution. Even that has its downside.

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
I've been using Valerian Root liquid extract sometimes before bed, haven't had trouble with bad dreams. I have backed off Melatonin though, only take 1mg occasionally for sleep, sublingual Source Naturals.

Merriwether

Yes, vivid dreams are a known side effect of valerian which is why it's used in a number of lucid dreaming formulations. The compounds suspected to cause these dreams are classified as "iridoid glycosides" which are know to stimulate both the serotonin and opioid systems in the brain. This leads to very deep sleep combined with "creative" dreaming. Some people are able to harness those dreams to solve complex problems but people that have suffered traumas/PTSD report lots of nightmares rather than solutions. :(

Have you tried a sleep aid containing Passiflora incarnata aka passion flower? The leaves are a powerful sedative and the flowers have been shown to increase soothing GABA concentrations in the brain. A number of "sleepy time" teas have started including it. Also note, having a set bedtime ritual such as making & drinking tea helps train the body to go to sleep. :)
-Merriwether