Gerson - Why apple and carrot juice?

will dc

Hi

I am new to this forum and have tried to search among the posts for an answer to this but could not find it.

I am wondering why the 'Gerson Therapy' chose apple and carrot juice as their base for treatment? Would there be any other fruits and vegetable combination that could achieve the same result?

Thanks
will

Last edited:

Arrowwind09

Standing at the Portal
I'm sure you have heard the old addage, an apple a day keeps the doctor away. There is a lot of truth to it. Apples will help maintain order in the intestines, they are great detoxifiers. Carrot juice is a super nutrient, with lots of beta-carotine in a natural form that has been reported to go after cancer cells for quite a while now. Beta carotine is turned into vitamin A by the body. There is no risk of ovedose as with taking vitamin A pills. The body will make what it needs and no more. Manufactured products do not do the same job. Carrots are also high in minerals and when they are juiced all their nutrients are more accessable. It is especially good for the liver, skin and eyes but these are not the only juices taken in the Gerson plan. Many leafy green juices along with celery, cucumber, beets are taken several times a day and I would not doubt that there is a synergistic effect. I would not expect carrot and apple juice to do alone what all can to together. The other stuff is incredibly powerful.

will dc

Original Poster
Thanks for your explanation. The reason I am also asking for this is that I live in Asia. Organic carrots and apples have to be flow in by air to where I live. This prompts me to look for an alternative replacement.

Beach Man

Hi

I am new to this forum and have tried to search among the posts for an answer to this but could not find it.

I am wondering why the 'Gerson Therapy' chose apple and carrot juice as their base for treatment? Would there be any other fruits and vegetable combination that could achieve the same result?

Thanks
will
Doctor Max Gerson, M.D. originally worked on developing an effective treatment to treat and prevent his recurrent headaches. In so doing he discovered that a salt free diet, emphasizing foods/juices high in potassium (K) and low in sodium (Na) worked best. From there the treatment evolved into a dietary/medical/detoxication therapy designed to restore the body's natural inflammatory response to disease. Fundamental to that process and the therapy's success is a healthy liver, which often needs to be restored to produce optimum results. In response to early critics of his cancer therapy, who characterized it as a useless and harmful dietary therapy, Dr. Gerson always maintained that it was much more complex than that and that it would not work without the medical component. In fact, he was one of the few physicians in the country who presented his recovered cancer patients to testify to the therapy's effectiveness before the United States Congress!

After discovering that one of his patients he had been treating for migraine headache was at the same time cured of skin tuberculosis, Dr. Gerson began treating other cases of skin tuberculosis with similar success, and expanded the therapy's use to the treatment of other conditions including the successful treatment of cancer. One of the patients he cured of skin tuberculosis happened to be either the wife or sister of Dr. Albert Schweitzer, M.D., winner of the Nobel Peace Prize, who wrote the very impressive "Foreward" to Dr. Gerson's original hardcover First Edition of, A Cancer Therapy - Results of Fifty Cases, which was first published in 1958. You may be able to find one for sale on the internet or in a bookstore. However, the latest edition is the Sixth Edition, which is now in paperback, but does not contain Dr. Schweitzer's "Foreward". It is, however, updated with information from the Gerson Institute where it is readily available:

https://gerson.com/store/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1

Right now it is also available at a reduced price in their "Damaged Cover Sale":

https://gerson.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=537

Carrot juice and apple juice are a significant part of the therapy, but they are far from the whole story. As Arrowwind09 has pointed out, green juice is also used. However, fundamental to the therapy are also liver juice, potassium supplements, iodine suplementation (Lugol's solution), coffeee enemas, and of equal importance, pancreatic enzymes, and a diet which also emphasizes high potassium, low sodium, and other minerals, including magnesium, etc., and of course no additives or preservatives, etc.

Carrots and apples are used in part because they are both high in postassium and low in sodium. However, that's not the only reason. They also are a readily available repository of fresh enzymes which can be released through pressing and grinding (as opposed to the use of a centrifugal juicer which does not produce the desired result due to the electrostatic charge imparted to the minerals via that type of juicer's extraction method) several times a day to ensure the freshness and activity of the enzymes. In answering a patient's question about the necessity to use the press and grind technique, Dr. Gerson also provides another reason why apples and carrots are used, wherein he states:

"the malic acid (contained in the apples) mixed with the ground carrots helps to release the minerals from the carrots."

See the second paragraph of the Answer:

https://gerson.org/FAQ/faq.php?faq=26

Also at this Link scroll down to the sections entitled, "Juicers" and "The Diet":

https://gerson.org/GersonTherapy/gersontherapy.htm

Following are other useful Links:

https://gerson.org/GersonTherapy/mg.htm

https://gerson.org/faq.htm

https://gerson.org/GersonTherapy/case_studies.htm

https://gerson.org/about/howto.htm

https://gerson.org/GersonTherapy/gerson_resources.htm

Telephone information is also available from the Gerson Institute, which was founded by his daughter, Charlotte Gerson, in 1977, and which continues to provide information and support for those seeking help with or information about the Gerson Therapy, and which also provides training for interested physicians, treatment centers, and home care assistants. The following excerpts from Charlotte Gerson's "Preface" to the Sixth Edition of A Cancer Therapy - Results of 50 Cases further explains the Gerson Institute's work and some of the difficulties Dr. Max Gerson, a German and thus a foreign physician from a country deemed to have been a horrific enemy, faced with the medical establishment as well as the prevailing political climate at that time in the United States when he brought his Cancer Therapy from his native Germany to the U.S. in the post World War II years when anti-German sentiment was understandably rampant:

"Max Gerson, M.D. had the wisdom, foresight, and courage to look beyond the prevailing medical views of his day. Out of 30 years of clinical experimentation, he arrived at some then-radical concepts:

Diet has a considerable effect on almost all diseases
The human body can heal itself given the appropriate nutrients
Any effective treatment for degenerative disease must treat the whole person
People with serious illnesses must help their body detoxify

While these ideas sound sensible today, they were almost blasphemous in the 1940s and 1950s.

More than 40 years have passed since Max Gerson, M.D. died in March of 1959. At that time, most cancers were not considered curable by orthodox medicine, and the American Medical Association and American Cancer Society both flatly rejected the notion that diet alone could have any effect on either the prevention or treatment of cancer.

In spite of the fierce resistance to his ideas and methods, Max Gerson worked virtually alone to treat and heal many cancers considered to be terminal, as well as numerous other diseases. He worked to publish and share information as best he could about the methods he had developed. ...

For over 20 years, the Gerson Institute has worked to help patients recover from these otherwise "incurable" diseases, and to share knowledge of, and continue research and development of the safe, effective Gerson Therapy approach to healing cancer and other degenerative diseases. When we started in 1977, almost no one would listen to what we had to say. We were unable to treat patients in the United States because medical boards threatened the licenses of physicians who deviated from conventional treatment methods. Only the desperately ill and dying, "given up" by their doctors, sought our help. In spite of the difficulties, we succeeded in helping hundreds of patients recover from otherwise terminal diseases, teaching thousands more to take steps to improve health and prevent the development of disease.

Today, fortunately much has changed. ...The National Institutes of Health has established an Office of Alternative Medicine, dedicated to research and validation of holistic methods of treatment. Independent medical researchers have documented and verified the biochemical basis for many important elements of the Gerson Therapy in more than 300 articles in the peer-reviewed medical literature.

All of these factors have led to a dramatic increase in interest in Gerson Therapy treatment. Today, our staff handles as many as 300 inquiries a day from those seeking information on Gerson Therapy medical education programs, referrals to practitioners, treatment centers, halfway houses, and therapy assistants. Patients are seeking Gerson treatment as a first choice, rather than a last hope. For those interested in medical training, the Gerson Institute maintains certification programs for physicians, treatment centers, and home care assistants. We are actively working to establish certified treatment centers and medical practitioners worldwide. Contact us for current offerings."

Again, telephone information is available at this Link:

https://gerson.org/Programs/support_services.htm

When Dr. Max Gerson, M.D. died in 1959, Dr. Albert Schweitzer, M.D. eulogized him as follows:

"I see in him one of the most eminent geniuses in the history of medicine. Many of his basic ideas have been adopted without having his name connected with them. Yet, he has achieved more than seemed possible under adverse conditions. He leaves a legacy which commands attention and which will assure him his due place. Those whom he has cured will now attest to the truth of his ideas."

That impressive testimony alone, from a winner of the Nobel Peace Prize no less, should make the late, great Dr. Max Gerson's book, A Cancer Therapy - Results of Fifty Cases, required reading for medical students everywhere!

Last edited:

Beach Man

will dc,

You may want to reread my above Post as I just did some editing to provide additional information about the difficulties Dr. Gerson faced in intorducing his Therapy to the United States from his native Germany during the politically charged post World War II years, as well as some additional information about the services available from the Gerson Istitute. FYI, I have no affiliation, but I do have a great deal of admiration for the late Dr. Gerson and appreciation of and respect for his work and that of his daughter, Charlotte Gerson, and those associated with her Gerson Institute. I first read about him in an article in then J.I Rodale's Prevention magazine in 1958 or 1959 when they reviewed his book shortly after it was published. They also offered it for sale to the public at that time, so I purchased a copy of the original hardcover version and read it cover to cover. I was only in junior high school at the time, and was extremely impressed with the book which Dr. Gerson purposely wrote in terms and language the layman or ordinary citizen could readily and easily understand. Due to the political climate and the hostile attitude of the medical establishment, he knew that was mandatory to spread the word about his discoveries and hopefully change attitudes in the orthodox medical community.

will dc

Original Poster
You have a lot information to share. Thanks.

It is sad that the medical community has shunned away such simple yet very effective way of getting people well.

Beach Man

Beach Man, that is great reply and good links. Thanks!!!

I have seen these two movies

https://www.amazon.com/Dying-Have-Known-Steve-Kroschel/dp/B001J66JQI/ref=pd_sim_d_2

https://www.amazon.com/Beautiful-Truth-Garrett-Kroschel/dp/B001J66JQ8

and they are very good.

I guess I have some more reading to do....
will dc,

Thanks for the LINKS to those movies. For an excellent and somewhat humerous account from a lecture given by Dr. Gerson himself in 1956 about how he was practically forced by a lady with cancer to read a chapter in a particular book which would prove to be a revelation for him in further developing his therapy, and to then apply his therapy which up until that time he had used only to treat and cure migraine headaches, tuberculosis, and arthritis, to her cancer, and then after curing her to apply it to two more cancer patients she sent to him, one of whom was a relative of the lady, and both of whom he also succeeded in curing, and to read his excellent relatively brief description of how the therapy works, including a rare mention of his use of supplemental "not coated pancreatin" (pancreatic enzymes), as well as his explanation of the electrical charge generated by centrifugal juicers/liquifiers which prohibits their use with his therapy, and his illuminating replies to questions posed by the audience at the end of the lecture, read:

https://www.gersonhawaii.us/gersonlecture.html

The above account is also available in what may be an easier to read format, with interesting supplemental notes/Links provided by the editor for comparison purposes, at:

https://www.healingcancernaturally.com/gerson1.html

Then for a concise easy to read list of the various juices and amounts used, and a list of the medications and dosages used, as well as a further discussion/explanation of his therapy as applied to treat cancer, read the ARTICLE FROM 1954 he wrote entitled, "Cancer, a problem of metabolism".

https://www.gersonhawaii.us/gersonarticle.html

Regarding the political difficulties with the medical establishment that Dr. Gerson encountered and had to deal with after immigrating to the U.S. in the post WW II years and applying his therapy to treat what were mostly terminal cancer patients, an excellent and relatively short book in paperback, which I also purchased from J.I. Rodale's Prevention magazine and read back in the early 1960's (First Edition), if you can find a copy, is "Has Dr. Max Gerson a true cure for cancer?" by S.J. Haught, first published in 1962. If you can't locate a copy you can read what is essentially the same book by the same author, only this book is entitled,
"Censured for Curing Cancer: The American Experience of Dr. Max Gerson". First read the Editorial Review near the top of the page, and the Customer Review near the middle of the page, and do NOT pay more than $13.00 U.S. for it. Some of the Amazon prices are ridiculously high for a paperback:

https://www.amazon.com/Censured-Curing-Cancer-American-Experience/dp/0882681095

For a list of Dr. Gerson's published works and some additional useful LINKS, most of which appear near the bottom of the page, click:

https://www.doctoryourself.com/bib_gerson.html

will dc

Original Poster
Thanks Beach Man!!

You sure have a lot of knowledge and resources to share. I am grateful that you post this on the forum so that we may all learn from this.

Beach Man

Thanks Beach Man!!

You sure have a lot of knowledge and resources to share. I am grateful that you post this on the forum so that we may all learn from this.
Thanks, Will. You will find that most of the regular Posters on this forum possess a great deal of useful knowledge which they willingly share.

an9elfyre

proportions and detoxification

hi beach man,

thank you for sharing your knowledge on the gerson therapy. do you know what the proportions are for the apple/carrot juice combo? if only juicing once a day, is it safe to say that the coffee enema will not be needed for detoxification?

my mom is a frail 76 year old, 84 lbs with metastasized ovarian cancer. i cannot afford to go to gerson institute at this time but hoping to at least start something by giving her apple/carrot juice every morning. however, i have a centrifugal juicer, the norwalk is very expensive - so does that mean that the juice i give her does not provide her with the nutrients at all?

please share what knowledge you have about doing this at home.

thank you!~

an9elfyre

pinballdoctor

my mom is a frail 76 year old, 84 lbs with metastasized ovarian cancer.
I would suggest essiac for your mom, in the liquid extract form, a couple of teaspoons full per day.

Do some research on essiac- what it is, how it was discovered, what the 4 ingredients are, etc.. and keep in mind there are several places that sell essiac, however the origional formula is the only one I would trust. It comes in a green 10.5 ounce bottle, and has a picture of nurse Caisse on the front.

This product consists of four herbs in proper ratio to each other, all of which kill cancer cells, detox, and purify the blood.

an9elfyre

I would suggest essiac for your mom, in the liquid extract form, a couple of teaspoons full per day.

hi pinball doctor,

yes, i've heard of essiac. thank you for suggesting - do i need to do coffee enemas for her? i'm afraid that if her body starts detoxification, that her liver will be overwhelmed.

do you know of a doctor that practices essiac treatment?

thanks,
an9elfyre

wanderinglaurence

Hi. I have same original question of original poster. I am in India beginning Gerson therapy. I CANNOT GET APPLES, ROMAINE LETTUCE, PARSLEY, PARSLEY ROOT, AND CELERIAC. Will the therapy still work?