Herbs and Plants Which Lower Blood Pressure Naturally

jfh

perpetual student
I know that we've discussed these herbs here previously. There's always something new though. I did not know that basil had antiviral, and antibacterial properties. I suppose one would have to use more than one usually would use it as a spice.

Celery seed is also mentioned. I use it is so many things, even eggs and rice. Love it. The article mentioned that the whole celery is a diuretic, and the reason for its help with hypertension. I think it is more than that. Years ago, I read a report that the sodium and enzymes are the main reason for assistance. I think the report was about Japanese women and high blood pressure.

I've read a lot about danshen. I haven't tried it. It is reputed to be a substitute for ACE Inhibitors. I think hibiscus works just as well. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12067101

Lavender is mentioned, though I don't personally think it should be in that list any more than other aromatherapy oils. I think lavender is only good for aroma, especially in tea. I don't think it has any other healing qualities. But the bees sure love my lavender. They're always very busy and noisy.

Cat's claw has interested me for a long time. Have you ever seen it? I can't imagine how you could get an extract from it. It is very hardy and sometimes can be found growing on walls along a freeway or old building. The vine is as tiny as bind weed. But it sure is prolific.

jfh

perpetual student
Lavender is good for relaxing, so it _may_ help blood pressure. It does help headaches, although not so much with my migraine on Saturday.
Next time you have a migraine, try an extra supplement of magnesium. Use on that is bound with an acid, such as mag citrate or mag malate. If you can find mag chloride, this would be even better.

Rosemary is better for headaches than lavender. Rub some rosemary essential oil on your temples.

RodsHealth

Next time you have a migraine, try an extra supplement of magnesium. Use on that is bound with an acid, such as mag citrate or mag malate. If you can find mag chloride, this would be even better.

Rosemary is better for headaches than lavender. Rub some rosemary essential oil on your temples.
Thanks - for a while I was taking a delayed release magnesium (much harder to overdose with it) that reduces the risk of diarrhea, as well as vitamin B2. I stopped both a little while ago, so I need to get back to taking them. Not only did I have the headache, but I have also been getting cramps at night. Magnesium also helps lower blood pressure, so may be good for the OP.

Interesting about the rosemary oil - I had not heard of that before. Will have to pick some up.

jfh

perpetual student
Thanks - for a while I was taking a delayed release magnesium (much harder to overdose with it) that reduces the risk of diarrhea...
It is way more important to take a magnesium which is bound with acid. The main problem is that magnesium requires acid for proper digestion. Otherwise, magnesium just sits in the intestines collecting water. Most multivitamins contain mag oxide, because it is cheap for the manufacturer. Mag oxide is also popular on the shelves. It is worthless for anything but as a laxative. I suppose you could take the mag with apple cider vinegar for the acid though.

Magnesium is a natural calcium channel blocker. This is why it is so very good for blood pressure. Magnesium relaxes the smooth muscles that line the arteries. Calcium constricts those same muscles. Calcium channel blockers are very popular among the cardiologists, because of calcium's activity with the muscles. It is not good to take more than 400mg of magnesium. Certainly not for a long period. This is because it can act like a blood thinner. If you do take more than 400mg, write a note of that for your wallet or purse, so that an emergency room personnel will see it.