Is it called sleep paralysis?

ahsanhabibcx

I'm not sure where to post this question, but my wife and I are looking for a solution
This sounds like sleep paralysis. I experienced something similar two nights in a row a little over a year ago. In my case, after falling asleep with my girlfriend at the time, I awoke but was not certain if I was awake because I could see the room, my girlfriend and all with clarity but I could not move or speak. The first night it happened, I believe I succumbed to it and fell back asleep.
When it happened again the next night, I struggled with it. Firstly I tried to bump my girlfriend with my head to wake her up. That failing, I continued to fight it like it was a spirit trying to possess me and me mentally willed it to leave me. I am totally depressed about it and looking for the solution.

Senex

I'm not sure where to post this question, but my wife and I are looking for a solution
This sounds like sleep paralysis. I experienced something similar two nights in a row a little over a year ago. In my case, after falling asleep with my girlfriend at the time, I awoke but was not certain if I was awake because I could see the room, my girlfriend and all with clarity but I could not move or speak. The first night it happened, I believe I succumbed to it and fell back asleep.
When it happened again the next night, I struggled with it. Firstly I tried to bump my girlfriend with my head to wake her up. That failing, I continued to fight it like it was a spirit trying to possess me and me mentally willed it to leave me. I am totally depressed about it and looking for the solution.
Yes, that would be sleep paralysis. I had it as a teenager. Trust me there are worse things, which I will not mention, least they stick in your head. You already found the solution. Don't fight it, just go back to sleep. Like the old joke says 'its a case of mind over matter--if you don't mind it don't matter'. Its only a big deal if you make it a big deal. Its not a spirit possessing you anymore than a sleepwalker is possessed, or an epileptic is possessed. Its just how your brain works.

Senex

I agree with Senex, good advice!
Thanks. I well understand from direct experience that this is not a pleasant occurrence, but the more one fights it, the worse it gets. Go into full-on panic mode during sleep paralysis, and you really suffer.

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
I've only heard of the condition by listening to the Coast to Coast radio show with George Noory, luckily I never have had the experience, but if I did I think having some knowledge about it is a big plus.

Abigail Wenderson

Hey ahsanhabibcx,

This condition happens with the people who have lack of Sleep, Change in Sleep schedule, Mental conditions such as stress or sleeping on the back and this is called "Sleep Paralysis", one of my friends also suffered the same then he started improved his sleep habits, fix sleep schedule, tried to take less stress and kept himself calm which helped him to overcome this paralysis.

Reactions: jfh

jfh

perpetual student
Hi, Abigail. Welcome to the forum, and thanks for sharing. The post you are responding to is from 2017, so I hope the member is better already.

I agree with you on the correlation of sleep and mental health. I wish it was such an easy fix. If you have hints, please share. I tend to go to supplements such as 5-HTP, L-Theanine, melatonin. But sometimes they are useless. If only I would quit worrying that someone might step on the blade of grass out by the road. They might hurt it. :rolleyes: Know what I mean? I invent worries where there are none.

Oh my God, this happened to me twice in my life that I can remember.

The worst part was that both times while I was awake/paralyzed, I had a horrible terrifying feeling that someone was coming to hurt me, and there was NOTHING I could do about it.

The first time this happened I was living with a family member who was, well, let's just say he was in the other room and I wasn't feeling entirely safe in the area. It wasn't like domestic abuse whatever, it was my father.

The second time it happened there was absolutely no reason to worry. But my neighbor's door was right next to my window (ground floor) and I guess he exited or entered his apartment, and that half woke me, but since it was so close I guess I felt maybe someone opened my door... but I was paralyzed and couldn't move, all the while being aware of myself and feeling like someone is coming through that door at any second.

Jesus yeah I hate hate hate this sleep paralysis. Hate it!