Liver/Gallbladder Issues?

I'm concerned about myself in this regard. I have a doctor's appointment, but the soonest I can get in is like a month away. I'm not looking forward to it :(

Anyway, for some that have seen my posts around, I did take medications for quite a few years for epilepsy/seizure. When I was 14, I ended up on Dilantin for a few months, but it wasn't working so doctors combined it with Lamictal. The Lamictal worked for a short time, so they took me off the Dilantin. It wasn't fool proof, though - I still had "breakthrough" seizures. By the time I was 19, they switched me to the Keppra generic - Levetiracetam. I weaned off of Lamictal completely before taking the Keppra, which was a nightmare. About 10 years later (2019), I got the okay to stop taking the Levetiracetam after a "normal" EEG. I haven't had to take it for a little over a year, and I'm hoping that can continue on. It was also an absolute nightmare coming off of Levetiracetam. I'm afraid it did a lot of damage, though.

Back in 2015, I went in for a basic check up after I switched doctors and the blood test showed elevated liver enzymes. The doctor looked at me, looked at the paperwork, looked at me again, and then said, "Hmm...maybe it's the breastfeeding." So I shrugged it off, but thinking back on that, I looked online and I can't seem to find a link between breastfeeding and elevated liver enzymes. A lot of doctors see that I'm thin, look to be healthy, and shrug off a lot of things - not uncommon.

In 2016, I ended up hurting on my right upper quadrant. It would hurt a little so I'd shrug it off, but then it got almost unbearable. I went in to the doctor and explained the symptoms of white stools, nausea, horrible sharp pains at random times in the day, and loss of appetite. I went in, it was a different doctor, and he said, "Hmmm..." and didn't have anything to tell me whatsoever...that's all he said and then gave me a blood work order. I went over to the lab and they told me I'd be paying a few thousand out of pocket because my insurance wouldn't cover it. So, I said, "Forget it." There was no way I could afford it. I ditched the lab, ditched the doctor...just couldn't afford it. I ended up going to Whole Foods and buying some Dandelion Tea and some Wild Yam capsules. I took 2 capsules of Wild Yam and then some dandelion tea once or twice (vile stuff), and then it went away for a long time so I thought, "Maybe it was an infection."

Fast forward to 2020, I'm having the same pain again. I'm trying to be super careful what I eat, but it does hurt at random moments, but the pain isn't yet unbearable. There are times it definitely hurts and I need to sit. I was laying on my bed next to my 2 year old and tickling her tummy and she decided to roll and her knee kicked me right on the upper right abdomen where I had pain. I cried - it was so painful, I was winded, and couldn't sit up. The pain lessened and then later got worse again and continued that cycle. I figure maybe if there weren't something wrong there that wouldn't have been so painful. When I press gently on that spot, it isn't super tender or anything, but when I remove my hand then there comes some pain.

I'm super worried that my medication may have caused some liver and/or gall bladder damage. My fatigue is awful. I could sleep a full 8-9 hours and be super groggy. It makes getting up in the morning a challenge, but I manage to do it. I could sleep a full 8-9 hours, still feel like I need an afternoon nap, and then feel super tired until bedtime. I know I have kids, but I think this goes beyond that. I have lost/decayed teeth that on tooth meridian/organ charts are associated with the liver/gallbladder. I have also read that itchy skin can be a sign of liver disease because of toxic build up- I never knew that, but I get this nasty rash under my jaws that itches so bad (a lot like hives). I have itched it so bad that I've gotten nasty oozing scabs. It's worse after I eat wheat, so I have totally ditched wheat and that has stopped it for the most part, but once in a while I still get that terrible itch under/on my jaws. I've had issues with this same itch on and off since I was in high school (it started after taking medications)- my parents originally thought it was the chlorine in the water since it was worse after showering, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

While I wait for the doctor, I'm thinking of trying more dandelion tea again, but what else can I do to possibly help myself here? I'm scared that I have liver disease, but trying to take heart that the liver is generally pretty good at healing, but I do always fear the worst.

jfh

perpetual student
I'm so sorry to hear about your incredible challenges. They seem insurmountable. I don't go to doctors very much until I can't diagnose a problem, or have one that I can't manage on my own. I use herbs and alt meds for preventive measures rather than curing. I think the best help for the liver is roasted dandelion root. I use that as a tea. The root is the best for this. Also, I add a very beneficial supplement of glutathione. Research that one. The body is supposed to manufacture that, but sometimes it is not enough. I assume you already know about milk thistle. I'm not sure what to do about the gall bladder. I have some stones that won't go away no matter what I try.

Meanwhile, I hope you have a good diagnostician to help you find out what is actually going on.

Original Poster
I'm the same way. I'm not exactly at the doctor unless something is really wrong. I can't afford a holistic doctor, but I don't think we have any here, unfortunately. I do hope that things go well into getting to the root of the problem.

I was able to pick up some organic roasted dandelion root tea today. As nasty as it is, I felt incredible relief from the pain so I will be using it. I've heard of glutathione, but haven't done a whole lot of reading into it, but I will definitely do that. I've heard of milk thistle, too, but never have taken it. I'll read up on it and try to find a good one. Thanks!

Sorry to hear about your stubborn gall stones, that's no fun :(

I know someone with Hep C who came back from really bad liver damage by drinking Milk Thistle tea. Its well-studied, though there are some claims it can have adverse effects.