Looking for remedy for dry scalp

waldgeist

A couple of years ago when I decided to try living a more natural life style I stopped using shampoo. (amongst other changes to my diet) Soon I noticed that sometimes my scalp would become itchy and if I would rub my hand through my hair it was like snow falling from my head. Sometimes it gets better sometimes it gets worse but I feel like my scalp is constantly very dry and has red blotches. I also notice this on my chin and when I rub my beard it snows also.

I have a feeling it could be connected to an acne treatment I did as a teenager. I remember the doctor saying it would decrease the number of pores of my skin and permanently make my skin drier even after stopping the treatment. Of course at the time I didn't care I was just desperate to get rid of my acne.

I have tried several natural remedies recommended on various sites online that I found. I already have a diet largely consisting on fresh vegetables and fruit and I rarely eat chicken or fish. I stay away from red meat completely.

I tried doing nothing to give my body a chance to ballance out the oil production on my scalp.

I tried using apple cider vinegar, sage tea and rice water before and after showering in various combinations.

Most recently I applied an herbal oil of yellow dock root and oat straw at night and then washing my hair in the morning with a natural shampoo. (It seems pretty legit although I'm not sure if it has preservatives or anything like that.)

I would appreciate any advice you can give me.

edit:

Today I started a liver detox. I created a tincture with nettle, dandelion root, ginger, gentian, burdock and centaury. I have read that skin health is often related to the liver although this was mostly in connection with overly oily skin and acne so I am not sure about it.

Last edited:

Beach Man

My dear departed mother graduated at the top of her class in 1928 from the Maine Eye and Ear Infirmary (which evolved into the Maine General Hospital which in turn has become today's Maine Medical Center) in Portland, Maine as an R.N. (Registered Nurse) and became the company nurse for Burnham & Morrill which produces the well known line of B&M BRICK OVEN BAKED BEANS. One of the many pearls of wisdom that she raised me and my two older brothers with is the following: "Cleanliness is next to Godliness!" In other words, do not be afraid of soap, shampoo, and water! Anyone who has served in one or more branches of the military in the United States can attest to the fact that showering with soap and/or shampoo and water every day is a requirement when living in close quarters on base or on board a ship for obvious reasons of personal hygiene, and has been routine for hundreds of thousands of military personnel for decades with no harmful effects!

With that in mind, the following quote from one of the many articles available on the internet about dandruff, which appears to be what you are dealing with, is right on point:

Changing hair-care routines: There is no "right" shampoo or
conditioner. What is more important is the frequency with which
these agents are used. As a rule, the more frequently one
shampoos, the better the result. Seborrhea and dandruff are not
caused by excessive shampooing "drying out the scalp." ...

You can read the entire article at the following Link:

https://www.medicinenet.com/seborrhea/article.htm#what_doesn#39t_help_dandruff

However, before trying any of the medicated solutions, you may first want to try the daily washing of your hair and scalp and affected areas with this particular bar soap - Dove gofresh rejuvenate beauty bar with pear &
aloe vera scent
. You can read about it at the following Link, and be sure to scroll down and read all the comments, some of which I think you will find helpful:

https://www.walgreens.com/store/c/dove-go-fresh-beauty-bar-pear-and-aloe-vera/ID=prod6346195-product

I suggest you try that for at least ten days. However, from what you have stated, it sounds as though you may benefit from adding some complete protein to your diet as well as a little fat. Remember, your skin is composed of protein. One or two hard boiled eggs a day as well as a 1/8 inch thick tab from a stick of butter and a tablespoon of extra virgin coconut oil (you can harden it up in the refrigerator and then take it out and let it warm up and soften to the consistency of butter and use it like butter-it's delicious that way.) would provide both the complete (with all essential amino acids) protein and the fat which is needed for your body to metabolize fat soluble vitamins. In fact, your body's current inability to do that - metabolize fat soluble vitamins - as well as the lack of complete protein, both due to your restricted diet may be the root of your problem.

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
I would try coconut oil. You may think it's too oily to use topically, but you might try taking a tablespoon full daily, that gave me relief when I had dry itchy skin and I still take it daily for other health benefits.

waldgeist

Original Poster
Thank you for your replies. As i mentioned in my post I am using shampoo at the moment. I have nothing against washing with soap which I do daily. What I don't want is commercial products using chemicals.

I will try eating more raw olive oil and coconut oil. I use olive oil almost exclusively for cooking but I guess in the cooking process some of the nutrients get lost.

meredithhww

Coconut oil has long been used for its skin health benefits, and dry scalp is no exception. It can moisturize the scalp, and it’s antifungal and antibacterial properties can help reduce the risk of infections. It can even help treat atopic dermatitis.

Daniela

I used to have similar problem - long and dry hair. Definitely try something 100% natural! I would recommend oils - use them as overnight conditioning treatment. I am using Argan Oil (beacuse it's rich in vit E) once a week and after one month I saw a huge difference!

frankquinn85

The indication of a dry scalp is constant irritation, yet it might likewise be joined by dandruff, soreness, and male pattern baldness. Dry scalp can have various diverse causes, however the most widely recognized is a response to the adjustment in climate or a cruel fixing in hair care items. No matter the cause, we’ve put together some solutions for at-home treatment you can try to tackle your dry scalp.

1. Coconut oil.
2. Tea tree oil.
3. Aloe vera.
4. Apple cider vinegar.
5. Witch hazel.
6. Baking soda and olive oil.
7. Mashed bananas.
8. Yogurt and egg.
9. Jojoba oil.
10. Avocados.