New blood pressure guidlines

jfh

perpetual student
I say, just follow the money.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/13/health/blood-pressure-treatment-guidelines.html

The nation’s leading heart experts on Monday issued new guidelines for high blood pressure that mean tens of millions more Americans will meet the criteria for the condition. Under the guidelines ... the number of men under age 45 with a diagnosis of high blood pressure will triple, and the prevalence among women under age 45 will double. The number of adults with high blood pressure, or hypertension, will rise to 103 million from 72 million under the previous standard. The number of people who are new candidates for drug treatment will rise ... by an estimated 4.2 million people. To reach the goals others may have to take more drugs or increase the dosages. The change is due largely to convincing data from a federal study published in 2015. That study, called Sprint, explored whether markedly lower blood pressure in older people - lower than researchers had ever tried to establish - might be both achievable and beneficial. In participants who were assigned to get their systolic pressures below 120, the incidence of heart attacks, heart failure and strokes fell by a third, and the risk of death fell by nearly a quarter. But more intensive drug treatment in so many more patients may increase rates of kidney disease. In the Sprint trial, the incidence of acute kidney injury was twice as high in the group receiving drugs to reduce their systolic pressure to 120. Lifestyle changes like diet and exercise can help many patients lower blood pressure. But many of the newly diagnosed are likely to wind up on drugs.
Note: The effect of this huge change is that billions more dollars will now flow into Big Pharma as millions of consumers are led to believe their blood pressure is dangerously high.

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
I heard about that and thought the same thing, follow the money. :dollar::dollar: It's good that some of us learn these things from alternative sources, because people who just go to their doctors all the time and only follow their advice without personal research will probably be popping prescription meds on a daily basis, when not needed at all.

Personally, I would use natural treatments for high blood pressure if I had to before I started on pills with side effects worse than the condition.

jfh

perpetual student
Original Poster
Incredible.

Nothing that a little more natural salt and vitamin K2 in the diet wouldn't cure.
I'm not sure about the salt. I know that salt does contain numerous minerals, but sodium content is still high, with not enough potassium to offset. So, just be moderate in its use.

K2 is excellent. Arterial calcification increases heart attack risk. Vitamin K helps regulate calcium balance, keeping calcium in the bones and out of the arteries. Insufficient vitamin K accelerates arterial calcification, while restoring vitamin K2 can help reverse arterial calcification.

goatsncows

I'm not sure about the salt. I know that salt does contain numerous minerals, but sodium content is still high, with not enough potassium to offset. So, just be moderate in its use.
You may want to look at other areas of research on salt, other than the government's official stance.

High salt consumption is, in fact, directly correlated with longevity.

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer

K2 is excellent. Arterial calcification increases heart attack risk. Vitamin K helps regulate calcium balance, keeping calcium in the bones and out of the arteries. Insufficient vitamin K accelerates arterial calcification, while restoring vitamin K2 can help reverse arterial calcification.
I agree that K2 is excellent to use and have been adding it to my daily supplements for a couple of years now.

I believe you're right also about the salt, moderation is best not excessive consumption, and potassium has to be considered in the overall picture. More here. https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2016/06/08/consuming-right-amount-of-salt.aspx

One teaspoon of refined table salt contains 2,300 mg of sodium. According to the AHA, an excess of sodium in your body may cause you to retain water, putting an extra burden on your heart, blood vessels and kidneys.

Past recommendations have assumed that in some people this may lead to high blood pressure.19 But, sodium is just one-half of the ratio needed to keep your body healthy.

The second half of the equation is potassium.
Your body is a complex organism, relying on the interactions and relationships between several factors. Your sodium level is important, but the ratio between sodium and potassium is even more important.

The main finding in one study showed the sodium-to-potassium ratio was more strongly associated with blood pressure changes than were either sodium or potassium individually.20

Our modern diet is high in foods containing large amounts of salt and low in potassium-rich real foods, such as vegetables. This electrolyte mismatch has significant effects on your body and your cardiovascular health.

Research has shown that women who eat a higher amount of potassium-rich food also have a lower risk of cardiovascular disease and stroke, as well as all other causes of mortality, especially women who were not hypertensive.21

The protective effects of potassium are associated with the actions of nitric oxide release, which increases the relaxation of your arterial system and lowers blood pressure.22
Impact of Your Sodium to Potassium Ratio

The separate roles of sodium and potassium, and their relationship to heart health, have been studied over the years. Researchers have also evaluated the relationship between a combination of sodium and potassium and heart health.

In findings published in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA), researchers determined that your sodium-potassium ratio is associated with a higher risk of cardiovascular disease (CVD) and all causes of mortality.23

Several studies have suggested that the ratio of sodium to potassium is a more important risk factor for hypertension and CVD than either of the risk factors alone.24,25,26

Data from over 12,000 individuals participating in the 3rd National Health and Nutrition Examination found higher sodium was associated with an increased risk of death, while a higher potassium level was associated with a lower rate of death from any cause.27

An imbalance of potassium in your body is linked to more than just CVD and stroke risk. A low potassium level is also a contributing factor in the development of:

DavyKOTWF

You guys already know this, but I'll include the following just in case someone a bit new starts reading this.

Regular table salt, the typical kind you buy at the store, is not too good of a salt/sodium. The best from what I've read, is Himalayan Pink Salt, (which you could possibly get at a typical grocery store or might have to get it online or at a health food store. A pretty big bottle only cost about $4-7) Anyway, it has many natural minerals, around 84, things like potassium, calcium, iron, zinc, selenium, of course iodine, and many more trace elements. WAY more healthy than regular table salt. So start using some good ole Himalayan Pink Salt. . . and upping your potassium!

I started using some and watching my Potassium:Sodium ratio 8 days ago, getting close to 4700mg Pot. to 1550 Sod. and already my borderline high blood pressure has come down to a good level. From 150/88 to now 118/74. Course I've been eating clean, taking other supplements as well. Amazing. :D

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
I have some pink salt in the cabinet, but I rarely use it, didn't really like the taste of it on food, may have to try it again. Been using regular sea salt for years though.

DavyKOTWF

Here's another study, on Kenyans and their blood pressures. Many of their numbers get better as they age. Healthy for them is 110/70. I know John Rose on youtube says his BP runs around 110/70 and he's 63 now. Google him, as in, 'John Rose youtube Secrets to be Being a Raw Vegan for 26 years' and others by him. You'll be in for a treat!

Here's that African study. . . shoot I lost it while googling Rose. It said the new guidelines might be normal, for the USA, but still not healthy, and that one CAN have readings of 110/70 at age 60+. (not trying to vilify JF's post, but just showing another view)