New here and I sleep good

jaminhealth

I am an OLDer health seeker and probably use 95% alternative "stuff" and a couple meds and after menopause and a Fibro dx, found sleep to be a mess.

Took some time but I came up with a sleep remedy for me and now and have been sleep 9+ hrs nightly. My combo consists of low dose melatonin, inositol, gaba and often tabs of calms forte for those middle of night wake ups.

Recently found thru a friend taking tryptophan and P5P before I go to sleep keeps me asleep longer and shorter wake ups.

If anyone is interested I'll post just how I take my stuff.

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
My husband and I have been getting good results just with 1mg sublingual Melatonin from Source Naturals. We're in our mid 60s and usually get 8+ hours a night.

I haven't done this, but sometimes my husband wakes in the middle of the night and takes an additional 1/2 mg to get back to sleep.

I think using Magnesium Citrate daily has also help me to relax and sleep.

jfh

perpetual student
I normally try to take a magnesium tablet close to bedtime. Not magnesium oxide. It is not absorbed well by the body. Other magnesium combinations are so much better. Magnesium is a natural calcium channel blocker. Calcium constricts the muscles. Magnesium relaxes the muscles. This is why magnesium is so good to help stop muscle cramps, like a Charlie Horse.

As we get older, we are unable to produce melatonin. It helps to get out in the sun during the day, but even then we slow down the process of creating vitamin D. Melatonin is a powerful antioxidant and improves seratonin production. I take 5 milligrams for sleep. If that does not work (I'm a worry wart), I will take another 5 milligrams along with 5-HTP.

jaminhealth

Original Poster
I normally try to take a magnesium tablet close to bedtime. Not magnesium oxide. It is not absorbed well by the body. Other magnesium combinations are so much better. Magnesium is a natural calcium channel blocker. Calcium constricts the muscles. Magnesium relaxes the muscles. This is why magnesium is so good to help stop muscle cramps, like a Charlie Horse.

As we get older, we are unable to produce melatonin. It helps to get out in the sun during the day, but even then we slow down the process of creating vitamin D. Melatonin is a powerful antioxidant and improves seratonin production. I take 5 milligrams for sleep. If that does not work (I'm a worry wart), I will take another 5 milligrams along with 5-HTP.
If 5mg Melatonin works for you that's OK, but some do take too much and are very groggy lethargic...my dose now is 1.5mg Melatonin and the other stuff I mentioned...

I take most days 800 mg magnesium spread thru the day and it works for me with my achy body from arthritis and "they say" Fibro.... I take many forms of mag but do get a little oxide in mine too as I need to keep bowels moving....that's been a life problem for me.

I'm finding tryptophan works better in my body than 5HTP.

When I was getting my sleep combo together and it took some yrs, I found info that taking the melatonin about 2 hrs before going to sleep is what our body needs to ready it for sleep.

Sleep is so important...so healing. take care.

austinable

I've found that a meditation session before bed (and no screens!) really helps me get to sleep. I've tried melatonin supplements, but they make me feel kinda weird.

It's great that you've found the perfect cocktail for you!