No-Till Gardening

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
A more natural way to plant a garden without the use of any mechanical tools...

If you'd like to create a garden using the no-till method, follow these steps:

1.) After you've selected where you want your garden to be, remove any obtrusive shrubs or weeds from the area. This isn't essential with small weeds, since they'll be suffocated by the first layer you add anyway, but if you have any large flora in that area, it might be best to remove them to ensure a reasonably flat space.

2.) Add a layer of cardboard or newspapers on top of your selected space and water it. Then add a layer of mulch (such as grass cuttings, straw, vegetable scraps, leaves, paper, wood scraps, or a combination of several) on top of the damp cardboard or newspaper layer. These two initial layers will encourage the right conditions for fertile soil, and they will also attract earthworms to the area.

3.) After these two first layers are added, you can continue to add more layers of mulch to the existing layers. According to the lasagna method, it's a good idea to alternate between layers of browns (such as peat and shredded newspaper) and greens (such as grass and vegetable peels).

4.) Once your layers of mulch have reached a height of approximately two feet, you can cease adding new layers and wait until everything composts. You might be surprised at how quickly this happens. Once the layers have 'flattened' through composting, your no-till garden is ready. This process will have created excellent soil quality for growing plants. Since it is common for the first layer (the cardboard or newspaper layer) to still exist after the compost is finished, you may need to cut circular holes in it before you can plant seeds or plants in the soft, fluffy soil below it.
Read more here: https://www.naturalnews.com/040882_no-till_gardening_composting_home_garden.html

Mad Scientest

Friend wife has been doing something similar and it appears to be working quite well. However gardening is one thing I don't know much about so when I look at it all I see is a bunch of green leaves some of which will produce bright red balls. :D

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Original Poster
However gardening is one thing I don't know much about so when I look at it all I see is a bunch of green leaves some of which will produce bright red balls. :D
LOL! :) I don't know much about gardening either, but would feel blessed if I could grow an bunch of green leaves, especially those with the bright red balls in my garden. :lol:

mommysunshine

LOL! :) I don't know much about gardening either, but would feel blessed if I could grow an bunch of green leaves, especially those with the bright red balls in my garden. :lol:
Epsom salt helps tomatoes to grow.

Does anyone else think the newspapers would put toxins in the soil from all the ink?

jfh

perpetual student
I became aware of no till farming several years ago, but apparently it has been around since the 1940s. In farming, the residue from harvest is allowed to remain on the ground until next spring.

No-till farming (also called zero tillage or direct planting or pasture cropping) is a way of growing crops from year to year without disturbing the soil through tillage. No-till is an agricultural technique which increases the amount of water and organic matter (nutrients) in the soil and decreases erosion. It increases the amount and variety of life in and on the soil.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No-till_farming