Seeking Thyroid Help

Noitartst

I have had thyroid troubles for over twenty-five years, and that is despite being skinny as a rail. I have been tested at my local hospital as my thyroid falling within the normal range, but starting in my early teens, I started suffering what became chronic fatigue, panic attacks, and constant chills. I don't recall chills earlier than then, and it was started at a time of great stress; that does not mean necessarily thyroid, but I also had anxiety disorder, as well as a balding scalp before I got my draft card.

My mental agony, as I learned, was about my GABA pathway, given taking niacin cured it; GABA is linked to niacin, as is thyroid, and thus I assume that my problem has been thyroid, even if it has not been officially diagnosed, and now that I am taking niacin, it is less likely it will be, and that is a problem, because I still have issues.

I take iodine in the form of Himalayan mineral salt, as well as niacin, but I still get intermittent chills at time, irrespective of temperature. I have found breaking down niacin tablets is good because I don't need whole ones to get the benefits, but I don't know when precisely to dose; it seems that I don't need niacin once every 24 hours, but more like 36-48.

I just wish my thermo-regulation was a little less hit-or-miss; I don't have a formal diagnosis, and that makes it more difficult. I also hear selenium may help, which I have been taking in the form of brazil nuts.

I could really use a natural-medicine endocrinologist that's in the Puget Sound region; I hear kidney or liver can caused thyroid issues, and without niacin supplements, I'm back to chills,but why? I'd like to find out, and I wonder it is at all to to with my need to frequently urinate, despite not having a full bladder. I've also been told to get my estrogen, testosterone, and vitamin Be levels tested, but what tests, exactly? The one for my thyroid said I'm normal, but it's clearly incorrect.

jfh

perpetual student
Consider ashwagandha. It's been used for at least 2500 years. One of the most incredible aspects of adaptogenic herbs like ashwagandha is that they can help people with both under-active and overactive thyroid problems. Ashwagandha has been shown to support a sluggish thyroid for people diagnosed with Hashimoto’s disease, and has been shown to improve the health of those with an overactive thyroid, or Grave’s disease, although the research on the herb’s effects on hyperthyroidism is limited.
https://draxe.com/ashwagandha-benefits/

jaminhealth

I struggled for 10 yrs with what I believed was a sluggish thyroid and this was after early 50's and menopause. My labs all fell within the "normal" range for 10 yrs and I was even told by one endo your thyroid is fine, but you have Fibro...now I have a new label.

Finally in 2002 my D.O. who worked on my back, he's from the old school, called in for a theraputic low dose Armour thyroid and that 10 yrs of depression lifted in 4 days.

I have taken many different adrenal supports over the years and nothing now..BUT I do supplement with 1-2 drops of Iosol Iodine daily for like 7 yrs or so. Dr. David Williams in one of his newsletters talked about iodine support and how critical it is for some in our bodies including thyroid. I take the drop(s) in 1/4 glass Clean water, not tap. Tap is mostly fluoridated and fluoride pulls iodine from our bodies to begin with....a vicious cycle of damage.

Noitartst

Original Poster
I take four drops of Lugols 5% Iodine, daily; that similar to what you take? Also, what is Armour Thyroid?

jaminhealth

I take four drops of Lugols 5% Iodine, daily; that similar to what you take? Also, what is Armour Thyroid?
I know of Lugols but for me Iosol is good. I've been using it for years. How similar it is, I do not know.

Armour is one of the very first thyroid meds, it's desiccated thyroid support, and it has saved me. Over the years Armour prices have increased and the formula changed somewhat so I'm now taking NatureThyroid (NT), which is desiccated as well and a little better price for me.

The synthetic meds (levo etc did not work for me)....

Noitartst

Original Poster
Well, I don't think I need desiccated thyroid given supplements seem to be enough for me, but thank you for that info.

jaminhealth

Well, I don't think I need desiccated thyroid given supplements seem to be enough for me, but thank you for that info.
Perhaps had I known about the benefits of Iodine and the Thyroid back when I started on my path to get the thyroid supported, I may NOT have needed the med either...I learned so much after iodine in the last 8 yrs or so...I understand many can get thyroid help with iodine and their supps.

A friend who is 91 soon did acupuncture treatments for years and she takes no thyroid meds but I do think she now takes a drop or two of Iosol.

Noitartst

Original Poster
Yeah...I avoided getting my thyroid needlessly messed up, and boy am I glad...messing with hormones is tricky, and tyoically less is more...

Adaptogen

The best way to check if the thyroid is involved is to do a basal body temperature test.

A full thyroid blood test profile that includes thyroid antibodies and reverse t3 is also helpful.

You can have an otherwise normal thyroid panel, but have elevated reverse t3, which can cause hypothyroidism by locking up T3 receptors.

JanH

An endocrinologist at Kaiser insists my thyroid is "fine," based on "normal" tests, although I have goiter and the outer half of my eyebrows disappeared. I started taking Natural Sources Raw Thyroid capsules about a year or so ago and my eyebrows began to regrow and I seem to have more energy. Might be worth a try for you. 90 capsules for $16.51 at Vitacost.

jaminhealth

An endocrinologist at Kaiser insists my thyroid is "fine," based on "normal" tests, although I have goiter and the outer half of my eyebrows disappeared. I started taking Natural Sources Raw Thyroid capsules about a year or so ago and my eyebrows began to regrow and I seem to have more energy. Might be worth a try for you. 90 capsules for $16.51 at Vitacost.
Endo MD's in my life are worthless. I've been that route...all their numbers.

Nutri Meds has quality thyroid and adrenal products and the thyroid support is desiccated. I may try it some day if and when I run out of NatureThroid. The company is very helpful and the owner called me back the other day after I left them a message.

JanH, good to hear the results you are experiencing.

I question which came first the Synthorid synthetic drugs or the lab numbers?

There are so many supplements out there for thyroid support but pharma is involved with their drug and could be they were behind all the labs on this issue.

Symptoms is where it all is.