Starting to Use MCT Oil Instead of Coconut Oil for Prevention of Dementia in Old Age

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
I've been trying to take a spoon full of coconut oil daily for the brain benefits of the medium chain triglycerides which have been known to help, or even reverse in some cases, Alzheimer's Disease or age related cognition issues such as dementia.

It's winter now by me, and using a spoon full of virgin coconut oil in my morning coffee isn't very appealing, as it's solidified and doesn't melt easily in the cup. I have taken it straight from the spoon, but that's even less palatable to me.

I bought a bottle of this Nature's Way MCT Oil, which is the same brand as the coconut oil I was using. I've started to take a tablespoon full per day and plan to continue that for awhile as a step to preventing dementia. Since I have a relative who died from Alzheimer's Disease, it is a bit of a concern for me in my later years.

jfh

perpetual student
I find it disgusting to take by itself. Works well in oatmeal and grits. Makes toast too soggy. I've been meaning to try a simple gravy for rice (flour, salt, pepper). Any other hints?

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Original Poster
So far I've had it straight from the spoon, not too bad since it's tasteless and mixed in my morning coffee, not too much of a change, similer to the EVCO. Jfh, do you take any supplements specific to memory/dementia? There's something I always see advertised made from something related to jellyfish, but I don't want to spend a lot of money on something that has no value.

jfh

perpetual student
Jfh, do you take any supplements specific to memory/dementia? There's something I always see advertised made from something related to jellyfish, but I don't want to spend a lot of money on something that has no value.
I don't take anything specifically, but....

5) Carnosine Improves Memory
One study found that after 3 months of Carnosine supplementation at 500mg/day, patients performed better on verbal episodic memory tests (R).

Similarly, another study demonstrated improved verbal episodic memory in elderly people when they were given a combination of Anserine & Carnosine (R).

Carnosine, when combined with other compounds, such as polyphenols from blueberry and green tea and other amino acids, was shown to maintain the health of existing neurons and to promote neurogenesis (R).

https://selfhacked.com/blog/carnosine/
I also take carnosine orally for cataracts. https://www.lifeextension.com/Magazine/2018/1/Carnosine-Cataracts-And-Visual-Clarity/Page-01

A new study illustrates the ability of oral carnosine in capsule form to preserve normal structure of proteins in the lens of the eye—an action that may slow or prevent the development of vision-impairing cataracts.4

The study shows that carnosine works through several interrelated mechanisms that help protect against the underlying changes caused by aging that lead to cataracts.4

In addition, human studies have found that a derivative of carnosine, N-acetylcarnosine, when used as an eye drop, can induce improvements in visual performance of cataract-affected eyes.5,6

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Original Poster
Thanks Jfh, I had read recently that L-carnosine does not help with eye aging problems if taken orally, you had to use the eyedrops, which didn't work well for me, they stung and were uncomfortable to continue using.

I did use a couple of bottles of L-carnosine capsules at one point, but they were very expensive, around $30 a bottle.

Ruth

This is the first I've heard of MCT Oil. I hope it works for you. There has been dementia in my family, too, not sure if it was Alzheimer's, though.

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Original Poster
Hi Ruth, welcome. I only bought one bottle of the MCT oil and am now just continuing to use coconut oil instead.

I found that the key ingredient in the coconut oil was Lauric Acid, as part of the Medium Chain Triglycerides. The MCT oil lacked this ingredient, only had Caprylic and Capric Acid. Still healthy, but not specifically for memory issues.

Ruth

Hi Ruth, welcome. I only bought one bottle of the MCT oil and am now just continuing to use coconut oil instead.

I found that the key ingredient in the coconut oil was Lauric Acid, as part of the Medium Chain Triglycerides. The MCT oil lacked this ingredient, only had Caprylic and Capric Acid. Still healthy, but not specifically for memory issues.
Oh, okay. :)