Vitamin B12 supplements

Annemieke

Good morning - does anyone here have experience with malabsorption (lack of intrinsic factor) and supplementation of vitamin B12? How much to take - how often - which type? Thanks!

NurseMary

Hi Anne,

In my experience B vitamins are not absorbed well thru the GI - tummy. You need to take a liquid B complex that you hold under your tongue or a Sublingual B12 that you let resolve under your tongue.

I can drop some link examples of products if you would like.
Good morning - does anyone here have experience with malabsorption (lack of intrinsic factor) and supplementation of vitamin B12? How much to take - how often - which type? Thanks!
Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Annemieke

Original Poster
There is nothing wrong with all the other B vitamins, it's just B12 that is problematic. Yes please, I'd like to see the sublingual B12 link. Thank you.

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
This is the B12 supplement I use, generally along with a B-50 complex.

Annemieke

Original Poster
Thanks - yes, methylcobalamin seems to be the right kind. That's what I had before: the one I have had lately doesn't say what type it is and I suspect it's cyanocobalamin but I'll ring them up tomorrow. xA.

Annemieke

Original Poster
But why did you need it and what were the symptoms? Or is it given more routinely in the US?

Beach Man

I have had and continue to have excellent results with this one (methylcobalamin) from Swanson:

https://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-ultra-methylcobalamin-b-12-5-mg-60-tabs

Note that the instructions say it is to be chewed and dissolved "in the mouth" rather than just dissolved slowly under the tongue; however, I let it dissolve under the tongue as I am in no big rush and I enjoy the taste of the product, and as I continue to enjoy excellent results with noticeably increased energy levels.

Read some of the 159 reviews to see why it's advertised as a "CUSTOMER FAVORITE" (in the purple notation bar under the picture of the bottle).

Another methylcobalamin product with a slightly different formulation (sweetened with fructose and sorbitol rather than xylitol and stevia) and which has excellent reviews is this one, which is designed to be dissolved under the tongue, from Stop Aging Now:

https://www.stopagingnow.com/B5K/MAX-B12trade-Vitamin-B12-Lozenges-5000-MCG

Last edited:

Annemieke

Original Poster
Thanks for the info, Beach Man - I live in Britain though, and all the brands mentioned here are American! My preferred brand is Lamberts, which is the methyl version, which has worked for years. I only bought this other one, Nutriseed, because Lamberts did not sell theirs for a while. And I suspect that Nutriseed, which does not seem to have worked, is cyanocobalamin. Have tried to find out, but unfortunately these days they are always "experiencing a high volume of calls" .....
I've got some new Lamberts' just now, taking them daily, and I hope they will do the trick. Unfortunately, a B12 deficit does not right itself easily, if at all.

mojani

I have been taking B12 for many years. I have diabetes and high blood pressure. I never thought of the effects of the B12 dosage. I don't take this daily, however, maybe once every two weeks. I am taking 5000mcg.

aadees12

Vitamin B12 supplements improve your energy level and keep your blood cells and body's nerves healthy. It also protects megaloblastic anaemia which makes people weak as well as tired.