Water Contaminant (BPA) Affects Turtle's Gonads

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
What is BPA doing to you? https://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2015/02/10/bpa-effects-turtle-eggs.aspx

“Data from our 2013 pilot study with painted turtles showed that embryonic exposure to low doses of the endocrine disruptor bisphenol A (BPA) produced disorganized male gonads with ovarian-like components.

“These anatomical changes may have broader reproductive consequences and adversely affect a group of vertebrates already in decline.”

jfh

perpetual student
I've been making my morning coffee using an electric water kettle (glass) and a coffee press (also glass).

I was making coffee in a single cup maker, but that made the coffee cup hot for me to take to my other room. My hands sometime shake badly. I have to hold the cup with two hand to resolve that problem, but can't if it is too hot.

I have, in the past, used a drip coffee maker like Mr. Coffee. Plastic.

I can't find any drip makers that don't boil the water in plastic. The Mr. Coffee company has responded to individual queries that their maker is BPA free. However, I don't trust that. If a maker is BPA free, it seems they would be proud to label it such.

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Original Poster
Interesting Jfh, I've always used drip coffee makers and my biggest complaint was the coffee was never hot enough. Never even thought about the BPA. I agree, if it's BPA-free, they would label it as such, big selling point these days for companies.

Solstice Goat

Frater Aegagrus
In my limited experience with coffee makers, the cheaper 'slow drip' machines heat the water down in the metal burner element, not the tank. The 'instant' style drip machines have a PES (polyethersulfone) tank that has pre heated water available. Not sure if the Kurig falls into the latter category, but think it does.

ophiuchus

titan
french press is definitely the way to go. always glass or steel, and produces the best flavors of all the coffee methods. when i used to do tastings for starbucks during their meetings, it was always french pressed (same as coffee press)

i also carry a gallon glass growler around with me wherever i go, fill it up in the am and forget about crappy water issues. makes a great talking point too.

bulrush

I've stopped storing leftovers in plastic containers. I found glass containers with sealing lids. Some of them are "locking glass" containers with the rubber seal and a glass top on a hinge.