Go Back Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Nutrition

� #1
Old 04-29-2010, 05:20 PM
Enlightener
limitme will become famous soon enough
Default Can You Fry With Coconut Oil?

With Expeller (pressed) coconut oil?

https://www.spectrumorganics.com/?id=87

I plan on buying spectrum cocnut oil...they sell it here at randalls, krogers and HEB....

I don't think they sell the virgin unrefined spectrum coconut oil....

anyway, I guess you scoop it out like butter....can you fry foods with this? the way people traditionally think of frying?

thanks...
� #2
Old 04-29-2010, 06:53 PM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor
kind2creatures is a name known to allkind2creatures is a name known to allkind2creatures is a name known to allkind2creatures is a name known to allkind2creatures is a name known to allkind2creatures is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by limitme View Post
anyway, I guess you scoop it out like butter....can you fry foods with this? the way people traditionally think of frying?
Yes limitme, you can use it for frying in the traditional way, although a lower heat is recommended. I generally use Extra Virgin Olive Oil for frying, but I do keep Coconut Oil in the house.

A couple of times a week, I'll put some in my morning coffee, and it is good as a skin moisturizer, although it's a bit oily for me, especially before bed or if I'm going out. Just an occassional "beauty" treatment. I don't believe it has any protective qualities against the sun, as you were asking in another thread. Also give a taste to my furkids when I'm using it, good for them too!
� #3
Old 04-29-2010, 08:09 PM
perpetual student
jfh is a name known to alljfh is a name known to alljfh is a name known to alljfh is a name known to alljfh is a name known to alljfh is a name known to all

It is great for frying. It is one of the oils that can tolerate high heat very well. It is not easily oxidized; so it won't form transfatty acid. It won't go rancid for over a year, if you keep it in a dark place like your cabinet. No need for refrigeration. It turns to liquid at 75 degrees. Otherwise solid or semisolid. I use it on toast. In the winter, I scrape it with a knife. In the summer I scoop it with a spoon and dribble it on the toast. I have used it for underarm deodorant in the fall, winter, and spring. It is not lasting in the winter for that. It absorbs well into the skin. It's lauric acid is antibacterial and antifungal. Some say that you can eat 2 tablespoons per day to kill candida.

It has very good antioxidant capabilities; so it will help to protect the skin from free radical damage. This might be why so many say that it is a natural sunscreen. Many tropical island people think so. I don't know the components that would cause this. I believe it helps me in the summer; but I also use a hat.

Coconut oil is great for so many things.

"The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched � they must be felt with the heart." � Helen Keller
� #4
Old 04-29-2010, 08:11 PM
Enlightener
limitme will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kind2creatures View Post
Yes limitme, you can use it for frying in the traditional way, although a lower heat is recommended. I generally use Extra Virgin Olive Oil for frying, but I do keep Coconut Oil in the house.

A couple of times a week, I'll put some in my morning coffee, and it is good as a skin moisturizer, although it's a bit oily for me, especially before bed or if I'm going out. Just an occassional "beauty" treatment. I don't believe it has any protective qualities against the sun, as you were asking in another thread. Also give a taste to my furkids when I'm using it, good for them too!
thank you for the info...
I'm definitively going to go ahead and buy some of that stuff and try it....

so basically, this means there is a way to fry stuff without it being unhealthy?

fried foods don't have to be unhealthy?
� #5
Old 04-29-2010, 08:22 PM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor
kind2creatures is a name known to allkind2creatures is a name known to allkind2creatures is a name known to allkind2creatures is a name known to allkind2creatures is a name known to allkind2creatures is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by limitme View Post
fried foods don't have to be unhealthy?
No, they don't have to be unhealthy. A meal I like to make is oven grilled salmon fillet with sliced Yukon Gold potatoes, seasoned with salt and pepper and fried in olive oil until they're tender and soft on the inside and dark brown on the outside. Oily meal, but it's all good oils.
� #6
Old 04-30-2010, 03:43 AM
Lecturer
Ted_Hutchinson is a jewel in the roughTed_Hutchinson is a jewel in the roughTed_Hutchinson is a jewel in the rough

It's certainly the case that Coconut oil tends to splatter a bit so using a lower temperature reduces this.
� #7
Old 04-30-2010, 09:00 AM
In seaerch of spicy food
saved1986 has a spectacular aura aboutsaved1986 has a spectacular aura about

I use it to make popcorn the old fashion way and it gives a great flavor.
� #8
Old 04-30-2010, 09:19 AM
Standing at the Portal
Arrowwind09 has a spectacular aura aboutArrowwind09 has a spectacular aura about

The best place I have found to purchase coconut oil is at

www.tropicaltraditions.com they often have good sales and they have several varieties to choose from, organinc, non organic etc
� #9
Old 04-30-2010, 09:36 AM
Lecturer
Ted_Hutchinson is a jewel in the roughTed_Hutchinson is a jewel in the roughTed_Hutchinson is a jewel in the rough

I buy mine in bulk from Coconoil The delivery on the 10kg bulk pack is quite reasonable. Works out about half the price from the local UK health foods shops.
� #10
Old 04-30-2010, 01:14 PM
Enlightener
u&iraok will become famous soon enough

I took advantage of one of Tropical Traditions sales recently and got 4 Expeller Pressed Coconut Oil 32 oz jars on a buy-two-get-two-free sale plus free shipping.
� #11
Old 04-30-2010, 03:33 PM
Lecturer
EarlyBird is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Coconut Oil

I prefer Tropical Traditions Coconut Oil to any others I've tried.
I usually buy 2 of the large buckets at one time. It keeps great, never
spoils. I need to open my 2nd bucket shortly. Works great for frying.
I just keep some aluminum foil handy when I'm frying to catch any
splatters. Great for fixing fried or scrambled eggs too.
� #12
Old 04-01-2012, 04:54 PM
Observer
nobhill is on a distinguished road

Hi - I don't know why you choose olive oil to fry with because it's generally acknowledged not to be used as a high heat oil because it's health benefits exist in low or non-heating use. Otherwise you are just not benefiting from the oil when you fry with it, so why not use coconut oil?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kind2creatures View Post

� #13
Old 04-01-2012, 05:41 PM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor

I prefer the olive oil personally for frying, because of the flavor and smoke point. In my experience, coconut oil will start to smoke too quickly for me. Sometimes, when I want to get a good sear on a rib-eye steak, I'll use refined sunflower oil (460 degrees F).

I use olive and coconut oil in other ways besides frying for health benefits.

Tags
coconut oil
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.