Go Back Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Diabetes

� #1
Old 04-02-2008, 12:59 PM
Lecturer
Harry Hirsute will become famous soon enough
Default Vitamin A and Grape Extract May Prevent Type 1 Diabetes

Quote:
Forty-five female non-obese mice were used to investigate the effect of polyphenols or vitamin A, both found to modulate the immune function, on blood sugar levels.

Three modified diets were prepared. The control diet was chosen as it has been found to result in 80 to 90 per cent incidence of diabetes in mice.

Mice in the test group were fed a diet supplemented either with 1 per cent freeze-dried grape powder or 250 IU vitamin A/g of food.

Mice were considered diabetic when the blood glucose level was equal to or greater than 13.9 mmol per litre and were then killed by carbon dioxide asphyxiation.

After seven months, only 25 per cent of the mice consuming large quantities of vitamin A and 33 per cent of those eating diets enriched with grape-powder had developed type 1 diabetes.

In contrast, 71 per cent of those on the non-enriched control diet had become diabetic.

The researchers noted there were significantly lower levels of TNF-alpha production by the immune cells of mice fed the vitamin A or grape powder.

The study's authors concluded: "Dietary intervention with foods or food constituents may prove to be beneficial in the prevention and/or management of type 1 diabetes. Increasing polyphenol or vitamin A levels in the diet may have profound effects on suppressing inflammatory immune cells and reducing the oxidative damage in the islets that contributes to loss of beta cells."

"Furthermore, dietary interventions such as those in this study may by useful for treatment of other autoimmune and inflammatory diseases."

The study is part of ongoing research at the nutrition centre to discover more about the potential nutrients, such as vitamin A, to help prevent diabetes, cancer, asthma and other diseases affecting the immune system.

Sources

Journal of Nutrition 2007; 137: 1216-1221

"Diets Rich in Polyphenols and Vitamin A Inhibit the Development of Type I Autoimmune Diabetes in Nonobese Diabetic Mice"

Authors: Susan Zunino, David Storms, Charles Stephensen
https://www.nutraingredients-usa.com/news/ng.asp?n=84321-ars-diabetes-vitamin-a-tnf-alpha
� #2
Old 06-23-2009, 11:09 PM
Banned
Jenny19 is on a distinguished road

Eating grapefruit has been found to help people lose weight which in turn can decrease your risk for diabetes. The more weight you lose, the less risk you'll have for getting or keeping diabetes.
� #3
Old 06-24-2009, 04:48 AM
Observer
Sonia is on a distinguished road

I came across an article that claimed a difference between eating fresh grapefruit vs taking a grapefruit extract supplement as fresh grapefruit can interact with certain medications and/or supplements BUT its safe to take a grapefruit extract.

I found that interesting as most of us do think about eating healthy with fresh or raw foods but forget that they can counter-react with daily medications or supplements.

I no way believe the fact "the more weight you lose, the less risk you'll have for getting or keeping diabetes" as there are plenty of people at normal weight or even under weight that live with Diabetes.
� #4
Old 06-24-2009, 06:20 AM
Standing at the Portal
Arrowwind09 has a spectacular aura aboutArrowwind09 has a spectacular aura about

Do you not mean grapefruit SEED extract here, Sonia?

I agree. Weight issues is not the cause it is the result of diabetes. I am starting to strongly suspect that some diabetes has a microbial cause because some people who use MMS have been able to throw their insulin out.
� #5
Old 06-24-2009, 07:43 AM
Observer
Sonia is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowwind09 View Post
Do you not mean grapefruit SEED extract here, Sonia?
I believe the journal article was in relationship between grapefruit and grapefruit seed extract.

I glanced it while searching for other info through book journals so I can't provide a link but I did find this similar article online: https://deliciouslivingmag.com/health..._article_1450/

Quote:
Note
About ten years ago, researchers inadvertently learned that grapefruit juice blocks enzymes involved in metabolizing certain medications, increasing the blood level of these drugs for an extended period of time (European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 2004, vol. 58, no. 1). The medications include cholesterol-lowering drugs in the HMG-CoA reductase inhibitor family (such as lovastatin), calcium channel antagonists, benzodiazepines, and cyclosporine. Grapefruit extract and grapefruit seed extract supplements have not been associated with these effects, but it would be prudent to discuss this issue with your doctor.
� #6
Old 06-26-2009, 08:19 PM
Standing at the Portal
Arrowwind09 has a spectacular aura aboutArrowwind09 has a spectacular aura about

Thats good to know. I'm a big fan of grapefruit seed extract and recommend it quite a bit for those who are to faint of heart for some of my other cures.
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.