Go Back Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Vitamins & Supplements

� #1
Old 07-21-2009, 11:10 AM
Observer
ss4vegeta1 is on a distinguished road
Default Best form of Calcium and Magnesium?

Which types of calcium and magnesium do you believe is the most bio available for the body to absorb?
� #2
Old 07-21-2009, 05:38 PM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor
kind2creatures is a name known to allkind2creatures is a name known to allkind2creatures is a name known to allkind2creatures is a name known to allkind2creatures is a name known to allkind2creatures is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss4vegeta1 View Post
Which types of calcium and magnesium do you believe is the most bio available for the body to absorb?
I like Calcium Citrate and Magnesium Malate. I take the Magnesium on a daily basis, and the Calcium only once or twice per week. I also like to take Vitamin K2 to help all calcium, whether ingested from food or supplements, to go to the bones and not the arteries.
� #3
Old 07-24-2009, 07:27 PM
Reader
jw8725 is on a distinguished road

Look for a brand called Bluebonnet on Iherb.com. I use the Magnesium they make in Chelate form.
� #4
Old 07-28-2009, 09:03 AM
Reader
bbmartin is on a distinguished road

Calcium does not go into solution in the body and is not utilized unless it is an acid
Tests for other uses than drug reactions brought about the means of getting calcium into solution in the body along with magnesium so that the results of both could be achieved. The answer was to add vinegar, which would provide the acidic formula needed

The result was a solution which proved to be highly effective, named the "Cal-Mag Formula."

1 Put 1 level tablespoon (15 ml) of calcium gluconate in a normal-sized glass. Use a measuring spoon not tableware.

2 Add 1/2 level teaspoon (2.5 ml) of magnesium carbonate. Again use a proper measuring spoon.

3 Add 1 tablespoon (15 ml) cider vinegar (at least 5 percent acidity)

4 Stir well

5 Add 1/2 glass (about 120 ml ) of boiling water and stir until all the powder is dissolved and the liquid is clear. Note: Place a metal spoon in the glass first to avoid any possibility of the glass cracking from the boiling water.

6 Fill the remainder of the glass with luke warm or cold water

To mix larger quantities just multiply the above ingredients accordingly. Keep in the fridge. Add juice if you don't like the taste.

My husband and I use this formula on a regular basis. A batch of Cal-Mag stays good for several days.

Calcium and magnesium work together and this formula gives your body the correct ratio, 2:1. Out of proportion rations of calcium to magnesium cause the calcium to accumulate in tissue instead of being absorbed by bone tissue, for one.

Whenever I have muscle cramps or sore muscles, Cal-Mag always alleviates it. It's really great for women's cramps. We get the powder form of calcium and magnesium at a local health food store, and have found that organic apple cider vinegar contributes to a pleasant taste.

Cheers,
BB
� #5
Old 08-04-2009, 04:52 AM
Lecturer
EarlyBird is on a distinguished road

Actually, I think that it's a Lack of Magnesium when someone gets cramps in the calf of the leg or the feet. Try taking some magnesium only - one 400mg will do. I used to get cramps in the calves of my legs almost every night. A friend told me about magnesium;
once I began taking one magnesium capsule in the afternoon - no more leg cramps!
Once or twice I tried going without the magnesium; the cramps returned.
� #6
Old 08-04-2009, 06:51 AM
perpetual student
jfh is a glorious beacon of lightjfh is a glorious beacon of lightjfh is a glorious beacon of lightjfh is a glorious beacon of lightjfh is a glorious beacon of lightjfh is a glorious beacon of light

I have found that transdermal magnesium chloride is the best method for bioavailable magnesium.

It is called magnesium oil; so use that when you search. It is not an oil at all. It feels like an oil when I rub it on my skin. It is also good to use in a bath. Some people take it orally; but I think it is nasty.

"Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.." - Albert Einstein
� #7
Old 08-04-2009, 07:15 AM
Reader
bbmartin is on a distinguished road

Another great source of magnesium is Epsom salt. I take baths with Epsom salts to soothe aching muscles and it works wonderfully.

Cheers,
BB
� #8
Old 08-04-2009, 07:22 AM
Reader
jw8725 is on a distinguished road

I just want to say that I take the following (Ted Hutchinson's recommendation):

https://www.iherb.com/Chelated-Magnes...aps/14198?at=0

I take the powder out of the capsule and take it with water. Its very nice and sweet tasting. Not nasty at all.
� #9
Old 08-05-2009, 05:00 AM
Lecturer
Ted_Hutchinson is a jewel in the roughTed_Hutchinson is a jewel in the roughTed_Hutchinson is a jewel in the rough

Calcium Food sources are better utilized by the body than from supplements.
While it is true that for MOST people calcium absorption from the diet is maximised at 30ng/mL 75nmol/l there are always outliers, people who are different from others (African Americans tend to have a better more frugal calcium economy) and there are some people who do not maximise calcium uptake until signficantly over 100nmol/l 40ng/mL. If you keep your vitamin d 25(OH)D status well in the 50~60ng/mL 125~150nmol/l there should be no need for calcium supplements, however for people who have poor magnesium foodsources (modern grain varieties are much lower magnesium food sources than older varieties) increasing vitamin d status may exposure magnesium deficiency so it really is worth anyone new to vitamin d supplmenting to also take a good magnesium supplment.

Dead Sea Salts Magnesium Chloride can be bought by the 25kg sack at equine supply outdoor centres. In the UK it's around �6 a bag Cheaper than Epsom Salts (magnesium sulphate) and works in the same way if you chuck a jugful in the bathwater.
� #10
Old 01-26-2010, 04:12 PM
Certified Nutritionist
Spirit Raintree is on a distinguished road

Hello,

The most absorbable form of calcium/magnesium is organic forms found in leafy green vegetables, especially kelp. There is no supplement in the world that can even begin to compare to the benefits found in food-state.

While ordinarily I am not a big grain person, Amaranth is another excellent calcium/magnesium rich food source. It's also gluten free, which is cool for those with gluten intolerance (celiac disease).
Per 100 grams of amaranth: 266 milligrams magnesium, 153 milligrams of calcium
plus lots of other goodness, of course.
Also consider sesame seeds, kale, spinach, and most other leafy green veggies.

For more information on this subject, check out Michael Murray's book, "The Encyclopedia of Healing Foods". Best book I've found (and I've looked at dozens) on using food to support optimal health.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and insights, everybody.

Tags
bones, calcium, magnesium, oil
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.