� #1
Old 11-30-2009, 08:45 AM
In seaerch of spicy food
saved1986 has a spectacular aura aboutsaved1986 has a spectacular aura about
Default Magnesium Supplement

Has anyone tried ionic fizz magnesium? Opinions?
� #2
Old 12-01-2009, 10:55 AM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor
kind2creatures is a name known to allkind2creatures is a name known to allkind2creatures is a name known to allkind2creatures is a name known to allkind2creatures is a name known to allkind2creatures is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by saved1986 View Post
Has anyone tried ionic fizz magnesium? Opinions?
I tried a sample of it that I received from the Vitamin Cottage store, and I personally didn't care for it. I felt for me it was simpler to take a capsule daily.

Years back I tried a liquid Ionic Magnesium in a little blue bottle. It tasted SO bad, no cranberry or even grape juice would disguise the smell and flavor. I threw out almost a full bottle of it.
� #3
Old 12-02-2009, 09:23 AM
Lecturer
Ted_Hutchinson is a jewel in the roughTed_Hutchinson is a jewel in the roughTed_Hutchinson is a jewel in the rough

Krispin has some useful magnesium advice most people will find the basic forms like magnesium malate or citrate are fine.
Adding magnesium chloride to your bathwater is another cheap effective way. You can also make a saturated solution and rub it in your skin.
� #4
Old 12-02-2009, 11:38 AM
perpetual student
jfh is a glorious beacon of lightjfh is a glorious beacon of lightjfh is a glorious beacon of lightjfh is a glorious beacon of lightjfh is a glorious beacon of lightjfh is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted_Hutchinson View Post
Krispin has some useful magnesium advice most people will find the basic forms like magnesium malate or citrate are fine.
Adding magnesium chloride to your bathwater is another cheap effective way. You can also make a saturated solution and rub it in your skin.
Krispin says:
Quote:
SPECIAL NOTE ON CALCIUM- High calcium intake may block uptake and utilization of magnesium. Current available research seems to indicate that calcium intake be twice than or equal to magnesium intake. In spite of publicized research proclaiming high calcium intake as a positive health factor, in-depth review of research shows that high calcium intake contributes to many degenerative diseases and is a health risk factor. Calcium/magnesium ratios AND sufficient trace minerals are critical. A multi-mineral such as Now Foods Full Spectrum Mineral or Country Life Target Mins Total Mins will always be a better way to get your needed additional minerals, including magnesium.
This is why I don't like multivitamins. Some things just don't go together. Like iodine and ascorbic acid. Like calcium and magnesium. Notice how some multivitamins include green tea extract. Tannins can bind a number of compounds preventing them being utilized by the body; including iron, alkaloids, and glycosides. I haven't found a multiple that I like. Foods with tannins should not be taken with supplements or even medications. This includes the green, black, and white tea; as well as coffee.

It is better to take magnesium at some other time of the day - away from calcium. And you are right about splitting the dosage up to 2 or 3 times a day. They are both good for you and should not be avoided. However, magnesium is a natural calcium channel blocker. Calcium contracts muscles. It can also contract blood vessels. This is why calcium channel blockers are frequently prescribed to treat high blood pressure. Keeping calcium out of the muscles helps to relax the muscles. The same goes for smooth muscle spasms of the intestines.

"Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.." - Albert Einstein
� #5
Old 12-02-2009, 01:32 PM
Lecturer
Ted_Hutchinson is a jewel in the roughTed_Hutchinson is a jewel in the roughTed_Hutchinson is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfh View Post
It is better to take magnesium at some other time of the day - away from calcium.
I'm not convinced that people who eat a sensible diet actually need to supplement with calcium at all. I think it's difficult with modern fast growing varieties of veg and modern grain varieties to get sufficient magnesium so I'm all for magnesium supplements but I don't supplement with calcium and I don't suggest other people do unless they have had a test and been shown to be deficient even after correcting vitamin D status. Once 25(OH)D is over 110nmol/l there will hardly be any more calcium absorbed generally 80nmol/l 32ng is taken as OK for calcium uptake but there is research that some people don't maximize Bone Mineral Density until well over 100nmol/l so going for about 110nmol/l 42ng/ml should ensure everyone has optimum BMD. Don't forget that it's Vitamin K2 that forces calcium to stay put where you want it to go,
Bone marrow stock for soup is a good source.
� #6
Old 12-02-2009, 02:08 PM
perpetual student
jfh is a glorious beacon of lightjfh is a glorious beacon of lightjfh is a glorious beacon of lightjfh is a glorious beacon of lightjfh is a glorious beacon of lightjfh is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted_Hutchinson View Post
I'm not convinced that people who eat a sensible diet actually need to supplement with calcium at all.
I don't eat a sensible diet; however...

I absolutely agree with you Ted. I supplement with magnesium. I use mag malate for the malic acid binding. Malic acid plays a major role in ATP formation within cells. Citrate is a good form of magnesium as well.

I'm supplementing magnesium to see if it will help my high blood pressure. I know there are several causes; but this is a good place to start. Also, magnesium is good for at least temporary relief of anxiety. So many things. The acid forms of magnesium do not promote that laxative effect as do the other forms.

I don't supplement with calcium. It can already be found throughout our normal diet. At least I hope so; because I don't drink milk. I love cheese (too bad about that). I eat a lot of grains too. So, I just make sure that I take the magnesium about an hour away from my meals; and 3 times a day yielding 833 mg of malic acid as magnesium malate.
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.