Allergies to Valplast plastic in dentures

leopold

I have been fitted with a new Valplast denture, and have had a reaction to the plastic on my tongue. It has a burning sensation, and my tongue has little eruptions on it that look like red blisters. It is impossible to keep the denture in my mouth for longer than a few hours.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I shall be very interested to hear your experiences with this substance.

Arrowwind09

Standing at the Portal
I have heard of this before and some people are also allergic to some of the new plastic fillings out there.

Seems like you will need new dentures to me. Any guarantee with them?

Stevo

Valplast reaction

I have recently inserted a Partial upper Valplast denture and the patient is having similar problems. The manufacturer's is saying this won't happen. I will be conducting some test using sample strips of Valpast and placing them in the patients mouth to see if she has a similar reaction. The manufacturers suggested it might be the artifical teeth I will also have the patient place a tooth in her mouth to see if she has a reaction to the artifical tooth.

Stevo

Valpast reaction

It appears to be the acrylic teeth that have caused the reaction with the patient. All 3 brands of acrylic teeth caused similar reactions when placed in the mouth and the valplast strips had no effect

Ashurst

I have been fitted with not one but two Valplast partials. They were very comfortable but within a few weeks the part acroos the palate became rough and furry. It was as if the surface was pitted rather than any build up of scale which could be removed. The first one was replaced but exactly the same thing happened with the second. The only explanation given was that my saliva must be doing it...The furry sensation in themouth was awful so I am having to go back to a different denture which is very disappointing. Has anyone else heard of or experienced such a thing?

Stevo

Valpast

Valplast tends to do this but not usually this quick. Did they give you the cleaning powder? This furriness can be polished away by the dentist. You should also ask that it is a valplast denture and not a clone.

eyemale

the same thing is happening to me , my tongue , roof of mouth and gum has a burning sensation. makes it very uncomfortable to have any food or warm/hot drink ( coffee) touch these areas. I too can't wear the (upper) for more than an hour or two.

The thing that is confusing to me is the demo my dentist show me feels more flexible and softer than the one made for me. the one I have feels like hard rough plastic, I only had for 10 days and have noticed in some areas the pink is chipping off ( not rubbing off) chipping, and looks like clear see thru plastic. if this normal? or should I suspect a cheaper made clone of valplast?

In any case is there anything I can do if I just can't wear it comfortably. paid almost a 1000 bucks ( just for the upper) and can't wear it more than a few hours , and have burning hours after I remove it . seems kind of unfair to pay that much for something that can't be used for the purpose it was intended. my dentist tells there is a breaking in period and I am just not use to it yet . is this true or is the burning and chipping a sign something is wrong, and I should demand something be done now instead of waiting.

kimbo

I have been fitted with a new Valplast denture, and have had a reaction to the plastic on my tongue. It has a burning sensation, and my tongue has little eruptions on it that look like red blisters. It is impossible to keep the denture in my mouth for longer than a few hours.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I shall be very interested to hear your experiences with this substance.
I to have had an allergic reaction to the Valplast. The blisters in my mouth hurt so bad that I can not even ware my teeth. I paid mega bucks to have them and now I cant wear them. My dentist tells me to try to continue to ware them but the blisters in my mouth wont allow me to even put my teeth in my mouth. :evil:

valplast

I started wearing a partial lower Valplast denture 28/10/11 (costing £590). Within five minutes of wearing it I experienced a hot, burning sensation on my gums, mouth and throat. Within five minutes of removing it the symptoms stop. However, I persevered wearing the denture every day hoping that the symptoms would subside but so far they haven't. Yesterday my mouth and throat were so sore that I lost my voice. The symptoms subsided after I removed the denture.

gramjdy

Allergies to valplast dentures

I also have allergies to denture material. I am allergic to latex and nickle. They use both in the making of the denture. The latex is in the form of the denture and the nickle is used to make the pink color. The plastic denture still has the nickle in it. I found a Dentist in Carlysle SK Canada named Dr. Hewitt who has found a CLEAR denture material with no latex OR nickle. I intend on contacting him to get a clear denture. I hope that all of the many hundreds of people with burning mouth due to the dentures will try this clear denture. There is also a sealant called PALASEAL ( they have a website ) that helps control the worst of the burning. You can get several coats put on to block the denture from touching the gums. I hope my info helps. Don't let the healthcare professionals make you feel like they don't care, the problem is that they just DON'T KNOW.

rvnsolo

New Dentures continuous problems

Morning all,
I've been reading your post with much interest since I'm having the exact problems with my new dentures. Had uppers for 18 years and never had any problems but with the new ones, my tongue keeps swelling, blisters, red, sore throat.
This has been ongoing for 3 mos now and doctors and dentist keep saying I have Thrush and keep prescribing Nystatin and on occassion Diflucan and after using this treatment 4 times now and getting no relief I'm a greatly disappointed and upset.
Has anyone found a solution to this condition other than NEVER wearing your denture which is NOT and option for me hahaha.
Appreciate any insight. Thanks

Sally

New Upper Denture Problems

Like RVNSOLO, I've had a new upper for 7 months, with the dentist prescribing Nystatin, antibiotic, recuring the denture, in case lab didn't. The dentist wants me to go to an oral surgeon and pay through the nose to get biopsies, and maybe titanium dentures. I know it's the pink part of the denture because I have the sore gums, painful tongue, and can't wear the denture more than 2-3 hours at a time. This is not my first rodeo, I've had at least 5 uppers before this one. It's about to drive me nuts. I may have to go to Mexico to get one made for around $200, since I paid over $1500 for this thing!

noteethinJax

Metoo

I just left the dentist that made my valplast partial. I told him of my problems,then told him of the blog. the responce was..." I don't believe them either". How can someone you just paid $1,400.00 for a useless piece of plastic say no more than I don't believe you. does he really think I don't want them to work. they make my life miserable. my tounge and the roof of my mouth burn constantly. the piece has barbs that cut me. it is a tingly hot cold pain. I also have fibromyalgia. I have had this disease since before it was recognised by the establishment.(25 years) I have no doubt this will also go on the list of customer control issues that prove to not be for everyone. how insinsitive can one be. I am so dissapointed. I truly believe a prosthetic arm or leg would give less problem. This has been a life changing event. think twice if you are here before allowing anyone to pull out your teeth when they just need to be preped again and new crowns attached. my hopes were high, now I just want to cry. What am I to do?

Deedrala

I had a valplast denture last summer and just like most of you , had nothing but trouble with it! I absolutely hated it. It hurt, it burned, and caused canker sores all in my mouth. I was in the office at least twice a week finally I told my dentist the thing wasn't going to work and demanded my money back! He gave me the money just to shut me up I'm sure, but at least I was able to go elsewhere and get a acrylic one that worked. Valplast is a Bad Bad, material to put into a persons mouth!

aeocava

Reaction to partial

Morning all,
I've been reading your post with much interest since I'm having the exact problems with my new dentures. Had uppers for 18 years and never had any problems but with the new ones, my tongue keeps swelling, blisters, red, sore throat.
This has been ongoing for 3 mos now and doctors and dentist keep saying I have Thrush and keep prescribing Nystatin and on occassion Diflucan and after using this treatment 4 times now and getting no relief I'm a greatly disappointed and upset.
Has anyone found a solution to this condition other than NEVER wearing your denture which is NOT and option for me hahaha.
Appreciate any insight. Thanks
I have just come from the dentist with the same problem. My first dentist (a lovely but young one) looked at my mouth and didn't know what to think. I have/had numerous white patches which are quite painful and are getting bigger. Needless to say I haven't been wearing my partial. I went to urgent care and the doc had no clue. (he is also lovely but very young) He prescribed nystatin also. The dentist today looked and said it did not look like a yeast infection but wasn't sure what it was. He is of the opinion that it may be an allergic or auto immune response to something in the partial. I have an auto immune disease so this may be the issue but in the meantime he is going to do some research on the allergic readtion possibility. I'll keep you up to date on what's going on in my mouth and maybe we can share what is being done by our respective dentists.

lucifer

intense allergic reaction

I am also having enormous reactions to Valplast. My (young) dentist persuaded me that it would be a far better option than an acrylic denture, and far more costly which I found difficult to finance but went ahead. The symptoms are exactly as described by others on this thread - intense burning, redness, swelling and sore throat and I have to take them out regularly. Since half the reason for having a denture is cosmetic, and they cost so much, this is ridiculous.
I am sure my dentist thinks I am being a picky nuisance and seems to be suspicious hat I am not using the Valplast solution, which I am. I do wonder if the Valpast trials were thorough enough. From reading these pages it seems that it is young dentists who are recommending these, but lack the experience to give out proper advice.
It is also a long way to my dentist and each time I go the costs increase.

lucifer

unbearable reaction

Why cannot dentists provide a Valplast gumshield to try before making a decision. It would indicate whether there is likely to be a strong reaction.

Last edited:

dsheehan63

Thousands of $$$ still no teeth

I was sold on these Valplast partials by my middle aged dentist in March 2014. I paid $3,000.00 for top and bottom, the first six weeks I went for what was told to me just necessary/routine adjustments. Now I had acrylic partials for five years prior and never ended up with blisters on my tongue, sores in my mouth, and it felt like cotton in my mouth within five minutes of putting them in my mouth. In the beginning of May I noticed a white thick film on my tongue and a nasty chemical taste in my mouth. I had already missed so much work due to the adjustment period I ignored it until June when it felt like I had razor blades in my mouth. Today I have 67 patches on my back checking for allergies, I also have been given nystatin for over a month and my doctor changed meds to chlorahexidin. I have spent the last six weeks going to urgent care, dentist,doctor and a allergy clinic. I called valplast this morning and they claim my teeth are a knock off and they have never had a case of anyone being allergic. I have never sued anyone in my life but I am thinking of finding a lawyer. Thanks broke and Toothless!!!

lucifer

https://www.vertex-dental.com/uploads/images/articles/ThermoSens-Monomer-free-acrylic-TP06-2012-Eng.pdf
Hello dsheehan. I have just read your post. Above is a link to picures of allergies to dentures - it is a bit technical but maybe worth reading...the photos are excellent. There are also several links on google (by Valplast)which seem to imply that Valplast is the denture to choose if you have had allergies to acrylic, which rather implies that their own dentures are allergy free. I don'y know howe his would stand up legally,
Cannot afford to do anything myself or would do - solicitors very expensive.
I hope you have a better day today. I am struggling.

pusa123

I have been having burning pain on and the tip of my tongue, and irritation, redness, sore, small bumps on the tip of my tongue and I noticed it started when I had my partial lower denture made. I wear it during the day all day. It has the metal thing hooked to my tooth.

I have seen an oral doctor three, four times and like the other people from this blog said, they were also given statin (and I had bad allergic reaction to statin). Doctor said I had thrush. I also noticed my tongue color is sometimes pale, (not everyday) but some days.
Oral surgeon gave me a gel to sooth the tongue. It does an instant relief while on gel but after an hour, it is back to the same feeling of burning and irritation. Oral surgeon wanted to see me back in 3 weeks to do biopsy. Can someone give me advise if I really need a biopsy? I understand it is a very uncomfortable test and just having the idea of cutting a small portion of my tongue makes me sick already. Plus tongue doesn't heal quick. Is this just allergy to denture or should I go ahead and still see the doctor for biopsy? Pls help. Thank you!

smalldog

I know this is two years after you asked, Metoo, but your dentist sounds insensitive. If he wouldn't work with you and didn't try an alternative plan, i think I would not pay for the partial or take him to court. My sister was allergic to our dentist. This is when we were kids, but everytime she went to this dentist, she would break out in a rash. He did some tests along her arm of his soap, and whatever else he used, but she was just allergic to him. So you are probably allergic to something in the valplast.

Kenza

I started wearing a partial lower Valplast denture 28/10/11 (costing £590). Within five minutes of wearing it I experienced a hot, burning sensation on my gums, mouth and throat. Within five minutes of removing it the symptoms stop. However, I persevered wearing the denture every day hoping that the symptoms would subside but so far they haven't. Yesterday my mouth and throat were so sore that I lost my voice. The symptoms subsided after I removed the denture.
Hi there I know this post was a long time ago but I was wondering if you had had any luck finding a cure for your burning mouth? My mum has the same thing from her acrylic dentures and we are just trying to find something to help her.
Thanks

RaulCruz

My dentist made this with the affordable dental plans. I had the little bit of pain, but all the things go smoothly at the end. I am feeling comfortable with that.

JimBrown

Each Valplast halfway is ensured against breakage and crack of the base material expecting ordinary utilization. After Valplast dentures, I suffered from burning sensations in my mouth which is very much terrible.

nwinogr

I just received a Valplast partial and my mouth started hurting and I thought it was just the rough plastic but after that was addressed, my tongue started burning and hurting and even my throat started swelling and hurting!! I removed it when I got home and I now have blisters on my tongue and gums four days later!! Now I have to go to my dentist and tell him I'm allergic to it! I want no part of it!! I don't know how people have tried to keep them in for weeks or months! If the throat is swelling, that could be an anaphylactic reaction!! I'm beginning to think there should be a class action lawsuit against Valplast!!