Another Study Links Statin Drugs to Diabetes

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Cholesterol lowering statin drugs are linked to Diabetes.

Another study has confirmed that statin drug use increases one’s chance of developing diabetes. Statin drugs are the all-time leading prescription drugs sold in the U.S. and around the world, prescribed by doctors to lower people’s cholesterol levels. It is estimated that one out of every 4 people in the United States over the age of 50 is currently taking statin drugs for cholesterol.

This current study just published looked at 26,000 beneficiaries of Tricare, the military health system. They found that those taking statin drugs to control their cholesterol were 87 percent more likely to develop diabetes. The study was published in the Journal of General Internal Medicine.

- See more at: https://healthimpactnews.com/2015/another-study-shows-strong-link-between-cholesterol-lowering-statin-drugs-and-diabetes/#sthash.9LDF2frd.dpuf

JanH

I'm curious how statins affect the body if (as I am) already diabetic. Do they make it worse? My doctors at Kaiser have been pushing statins on me for over a decade (but I am not now and never have taken them), telling me how extra important they are for diabetics, that every diabetic absolutely MUST be taking a statin. Recently I showed my "Dangers of Statins" list to my new doctor. She pooh-poohed nearly every one. I do NOT have high cholesterol but she says "oh, we don't pay any attention to the numbers any longer," and said that I absolutely needed to be taking them because they would prevent pieces of cholesterol from breaking off and giving me a heart attack. I welcome responses from knowledgeable people here!

jfh

perpetual student
My cholesterol is considered high (213). I do not consider it high, since it has been close to that for several years, and I'm still alive and doing well. I don't like that my LDL is higher than my HDL. Something is oxidizing my cholesterol.

My cardiologist says that as long as I continue taking fish oil (he means omega3), I will not have to take statins. I told him that I would not take statins no matter what. If it comes close to that, I will add garlic and serrapeptase on a more consistent frequency.

Ted_Hutchinson

Statin use and risk for type 2 diabetes: what clinicians should know
this is a newer article on the question of statin use and Type 2 diabetes incidence.

There is an important vidso here FoodNews Conference 2018 - fixing the Heart Disease Elephant ! #CAC #LCHF that puts the role of cholesterol in heart disease in perspective. The underlying ROOT CAUSE of both heart disease and diabetes is INSULIN RESISTANCE and taking basic steps to improve insulin senstivity if the best way of preventing not only diabetes but also delaying the onset of heart disease or dementia.