Ascorbic Acid is not Vitamin C and is Bad For You?

limitme

https://www.naturalnews.com/040147_vi..._vitamins.html

This surprised me.

Ascorbic acid kills the good bacteria in your gut. They add ascorbic acid to many juices, including some organic apple juices, and do not have to list it in the ingredients.

The complete complex of vitamin C as found in natural food sources is composed of these elements:

- Rutinbiofavonoids (vitamin P) factor K

- Factor Jfactor P Tyrosinase

- Ascorbinogen ascorbic acid

All of the above elements must be present in order for the body to absorb and benefit from the vitamin complex. Since synthetic ascorbic acid does not contain the full complex, your body must either gather the missing components from the body's reservoir, or simply eliminate the ascorbic acid from the body through the urine without benefit to the body.

jfh

perpetual student
I've felt that way for years, and only include ascorbic acid in my supplementation when it comes in multivitamins or when I have a cold or similar symptom. Even then, it requires megadoses.

Ascorbic acid has been used intravenously for cancers. It has been the form of vitamin C used clinically and in trials. This is because it needs to be clean. The extraction process using natural produce is much too unstable.

Vitamin C, including ascorbic acid, is very unstable when in contact with light, moisture, or heat. Well think on that. The body introduces 2 of those elements. Moisture and heat. So, not only is its shelf life short, but so is its life in the body. Hence the requirement for megadosing. Also, it is not good to buy those big bottles of vitamin C, because the stability of the capsules or tablets is bad enough that you need to use them very quickly. And don't even think of ordering them in the mail, except in deep winter.

limitme

Original Poster
chemo kills cancer.
if it is true, that ascorbic acid wipes out good bacteria and God knows what else in the body, then I don't think you would want to be taking it at all, much less in mega doses.

Solstice Goat

Frater Aegagrus
This is a blog post. My father used to take his C this way

Other than that, I take Vitamin C. Given that real vitamin C is L-ascorbic acid (which only comes in crystal form), I take Vitamin C crystals–I use the Bluebonnet brand from Whole Foods, but I think that most are likely comparable. I know that Vitamin World also carries their own brand. Anyway, here’s the important part: I mix 1 teaspoon of C Crystals with 1/2 tsp. of baking soda. This is important because Vitamin C is an acid, and in order to be absorbed by the body, it needs to be buffered. Baking soda (aka: sodium bicarbonate–a base) dose the trick. Just mix the two in a little water, let fizz, and voila–the best form of vitamin C I know of.
https://thelabelsayspaleo.com/2010/01/03/a-discussion-of-supplements/

Dr Brownstein recommends 3k to 5k a day for adrenal support, so I wonder what type?

I like Natural News, but I've noticed they sometimes cite themselves as a reference.

One of the other references is a company selling vitamins, so that can be dubious as well.

Ok, after doing a few searches, Dr Bill Sardi, Dr Donald Miller, Dr David Brownstein, Mark Sisson, I cannot find anyone blowing the whistle on ascorbic acid.

I did find this, however;
Dr. Ben Kim, for all his following, knows little about nutrition and is misleading trusting people. What’s more he’s a source of only second-hand information: I’ve heard this nonsense about vitamin C not being ascorbic acid before; from Dr. Tim O’Shea, among others. The trouble when people start passing around these stories without checking them, everyone start to believe they are true.
Exactly the same thing happens in conventional medicine, of course.
Look: here’s the formula for vitamin C. It’s also the formula for ascorbic acid! They are the same. What does “synthetic” mean in this context? Perhaps Dr Kim thinks the carbon or oxygen atoms might be man-made? As far as I know, God put them there at the start of the Universe!!
https://alternative-doctor.com/good_nutrition/vitamin-c-is-exactly-the-same-as-ascorbic-acid/

Dr Ray Sahelian says;

[FONT=arial, helvetica][FONT=arial, helvetica]L-Ascorbic Acid is readily and reversibly oxidized to L-dehydroascorbic acid and both forms exist in equilibrium in the body. [/FONT][/FONT]
https://www.raysahelian.com/ascorbic.html

.........and he sells vitamins too, so, if he was dishonest, wouldn't it behoove him to push a more expensive compound?

Interesting comment on the original article;

Gary Craig · Top Commenter · Works at Third Millennium NutritionYour references leave alot to be desired.Albert Szente Georgi realized that Vitaman C in its pure form could reverse Scurvy,also realized that naturally occurring Bioflavonids,( Vitaman P) did enhance Vitaman C's ability to strengthen Capillary strength was superior,but isolated bioflavonoids had little effect on Scurvy by themselves.And Pauling's claims for isolated C was met with mixed reactions by his peers.He did use Sodium Ascorbate personally,due to it's ability to neutralize the acidity in large doses.The Fact remains that the method to manufacture "Synthetic" C is identical to the chemistry used by plants. Until I find solid peer revied studies to support you're hypothesis I will go with the 2 Nobel Lauriates conclusions.

In my own experience, I have been taking 2k late morning and 2k late afternoon on non-work days, and 6k a day during work, dispersed throughout the day. You would think that if ascorbic acid killed bowel fauna, I would have severe diarrhea. Anything but. Chia seeds are my savior since giving up grains.

So, I'm gonna have to hoist my BS flag on this one. Sorry. :(

liverock

Animals that make their own Vitamin C make ascorbic acid not C Complex.
As far as I know there is no IV C Complex to help you with large doses you need for treating cancer, in fact there dont appear to be any studies done to prove or disprove any of the claims made for it.

It was Royal Lee (who makes and sells a C Complex),who started the idea that a whole food C Complex was the only 'real Vitamin C' and as it appears to cost a very inflated price compared to ascorbic acid, a lot of practitioners who sell it naturally recommend it.

https://vitamincfoundation.org/NaturalC.htm

Samia

Liquid sodium ascorbate (that you make yourself as someone here described) tastes just right. It is a most refreshing drink. Plain ascorbic acid is hard on your teeth as well as tasting too sharp.