Bactrim DS (UTI)

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
I'm starting a 3 day prescription of Bactrim DS (Sulfametn/tmp, 800/160mg) for a UTI. I intend to finish this prescription, unless I become ill from it.

I've had the UTI for over a week now, drank both unsweetened pure cranberry juice and concentrate, and vitamin C, with no success.

Anyone ever use Bactrim DS, and would like to share your experience, positive or negative? I just Googled it, and there's lots of horror stories about it online, but a lot of those postings are very old too.

Arrowwind09

Standing at the Portal
It made me very sick one time but most people don't get sick from it. Finally cured up with a homeopathic remedy.

It is a very serious antibiotic and may lead to resistant bacteria.

If you don't cure with it you better look into some other things
cause then you start the antibiotic treadmill with no end.

There are lots of other cures for UTI.

Lugols iodine being one,
Homeopathy another.

Perhaps mms.

saved1986

In seaerch of spicy food
Make sure you take the bactrim DS (also known as septra ds) with a lot of water. Arrowwind is right, if for some reason it does not knowck out the whole infection, you will get a rebound and have to use a much stronger antibiotic.

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Original Poster
Thanks Arrowwind and Saved 1986! I have been drinking lots of water. The last time I used an antibiotic must have been around twenty years ago. I won't let myself get into an antibiotic merry-go-round, thanks for your concern. I really am against all prescription drugs, unless of course the illness is very serious and they are absolutely needed.

saved1986

In seaerch of spicy food
Thanks Arrowwind and Saved 1986! I have been drinking lots of water. The last time I used an antibiotic must have been around twenty years ago. I won't let myself get into an antibiotic merry-go-round, thanks for your concern. I really am against all prescription drugs, unless of course the illness is very serious and they are absolutely needed.
Nothing really wrong with a course of antibiotics (make sure you take probiotics for a few days when you are finished though). I have no issues with prescription drugs that are used short term, but when they want you on something daily for life, that is different and nature has supplied many products that work much better.

Arrowwind09

Standing at the Portal
Some people get fungal infections even from one round of antibiotics. Fungus can be very dangerous and the conventional med world is in big time denial about it.

pinballdoctor

Cranberry juice should be used as a preventative.

To end a UTI, you would need to use something a little stronger, such as cranberry capsules, or grapefruit seed extract, or better yet, colloidal silver.

Drinking an ounce or two of colloidal silver before bed would go directly through the urinary tract, and the silver would kill bacteria better than anything else. Once the infection is gone, then you could use cranberry caps or juice. That will prevent bacteria from sticking to the urinary tract walls, thus flushing them out in the urine.

I also agree with Arrow about antibiotics causing fungal problems, even after one round.

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Original Poster
Well :roll:, they said that the Bactrim was the wrong medication and wouldn't get rid of my UTI (although I thought I was cured, lol). They said after growing the culture, I had 100,000 cfu/ml Enterococcus Species. Now I'm finishing off a prescription of Nitrofurantoin 25 mg (Macrodantin). There has been no darkening of color in the urine, as they warned :confused:

Luckily I don't get these very often at all, and next time I'll make a better effort to nip it in the bud early on, with natural supplements as suggested. Thanks.

Arrowwind09

Standing at the Portal
So you are on the road now to developing resistent forms of bacterea kind2creatures. get well versed in your alternatives now and be prepared. You cannot expect this new chosen antibiotic to work on your next infection, it may or it may not.

choices are:
mms
nutrasilver
iodine
homeopathy

I would never count on cranberry juice to prevent or cure. I just can't say how many times I have seen that fail in my nursing work. The patients tell me this.

If you have a propensity for uti look into mannose d and take it every day. take mms a couple times a week at least. supplement with iodine.

D Bergy

D Mannose is the active ingredient in Cranberry juice. It is a naturally occurring sugar that E-Coli bacteria adhere to on the bladder wall. By ingesting the pure D Mannose the E-Coli is supposed to attach itself to the suspended D Mannose and simply be flushed out.

I have never had such an infection so I cannot say how well it works, but I am quite sure you could use it along with the antibiotic to help things along.

Dan

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Original Poster
Thanks Dan, Arrow and Pinballdoctor, your input and advice is much appreciated!