Breast cancer

Ted_Hutchinson

But the problem with flax seed and relying on plant sources to correct omega 3 status is the lack of good evidence showing people can convert ALA to EPA and then to DHA.
Most readers here will have an omega 6 level that is far too high. The ratio of omega 6 to omega 3 will on average be above 20<>1 and many well be 30<>1 and in this pro inflammatory environment the gut flora necessary to benefit from the ALA in flax seed will be low.
At high intakes of LA the risk for breast cancer increases.

Dietary n-3 LCPUFA from fish oil but not alpha-linolenic acid-derived LCPUFA confers atheroprotection in mice.
The same process would apply in BC.

If we are going to lower inflammatory status and allow those bacteria that increase omega 3 absorption and conversion to thrive we first have to reduce our consumption of those seed/grain oils that contain the most omega 6 Linoleic acid.

Susan compiled this list from Wiki

Ted_Hutchinson

Flax and flaxseed oil (Linum usitatissimum): a review by the Natural Standard Research Collaboration.
Most of the available evidence investigates the efficacy of alpha-linoleic acid found in flaxseed compared with fish oil, and almost all of the available studies are poor quality. Although flaxseed and flaxseed oil have several promising future uses, the available literature does not support recommendation for any condition at this time.
I think that flaxseed oil bought from a healthfoodshop that doesn't keep it in the fridge is probably going to do more harm than good as it's very easily oxidized in the oil form.

If you buy whole linseed (it keeps for 2yrs if kept cool) and grind it yourself in coffee mill each week and keep the flaxseed meal/flour in the fridge, then this will provide useful soluble dietary fibres and the potential for improving omega 3 status depending on your gut flora and level of inflammation. The lower your inflammatory status the better chance you have of having the gut bacteria that enable absorption of it's ALA.

mindmt

Flax vs Fish

Conversion rate of ALA to DHA is very poor, even worse to EPA. The longer the chain, the slower it gets..
Hunters are smart because they get more dietary omega 3 than herbivores. Double smart, because they obtain them without having to go through
laborious bioaccumulation. Fish oil or krill oil are best sources. Mercola cited today, a new study - admittedly on a small group - that demonstrated higher efficiency of krill oil in raising serum DHA/EPA. The additional cost is not justified, however - even if you want the astaxanthin (for which there ARE suitable plant sources)

https://www.springerlink.com/content/270j241473471664/fulltext.pdf

All PUFA are susceptible to rancidity, and flax oil is notoriously unstable - same as linseed oil - a cloth soaked in linseed/flax oil will spontaneously ignite - sufficient proof of oxidation tendency if any proof is needed. Keep your fish oil refrigerated! Take care about your sources, too. Get it fresh, and check that it's free of pollutants.

knightofalbion

Original Poster
Conversion rate of ALA to DHA is very poor, even worse to EPA. The longer the chain, the slower it gets..
Hunters are smart because they get more dietary omega 3 than herbivores. Double smart, because they obtain them without having to go through
laborious bioaccumulation. Fish oil or krill oil are best sources. Mercola cited today, a new study - admittedly on a small group - that demonstrated higher efficiency of krill oil in raising serum DHA/EPA. The additional cost is not justified, however - even if you want the astaxanthin (for which there ARE suitable plant sources)

https://www.springerlink.com/content/270j241473471664/fulltext.pdf

All PUFA are susceptible to rancidity, and flax oil is notoriously unstable - same as linseed oil - a cloth soaked in linseed/flax oil will spontaneously ignite - sufficient proof of oxidation tendency if any proof is needed. Keep your fish oil refrigerated! Take care about your sources, too. Get it fresh, and check that it's free of pollutants.
This is a breast cancer thread...

However in response to your statements.

So Dr. M is bigging up krill oil - and by a lucky coincedence he has a lorry load of krill oil capsules he wants to flog! $24.95 for a month's supply...
Creates a bit of a conflict of interest wouldn't you say?

The world's fish stocks are finite, precariously so. If everyone followed Dr. M's lead the krill would be decimated and whales - who feed on krill - would be pushed to extinction.

As for fish oils. Dr M says...
"Would you consider eating rotten fish?...The problem is that fish oil is so unstable it begins to oxidize as soon as it is extracted from fish and exposed to air, which is typically long before some company actually puts it in a capsule."
And "Studies show that eating fish can potentially expose you to a high degree of contamination with industrial pollutants and toxins like mercury, PCBs, heavy metals and radioactive poisons."
Something tells me he isn't a fan.

Though to be fair the problem of rancidity is common across all forms of oil.

A good seed oil mix, such as Udo's Choice,for example will do the job admirably.

Going back on theme, Dr Budwig recorded over a thousand case histories of cancer CURES (using the flaxseed oil) at her clinic alone, never mind all the independent cures throughout Europe and N. America.

mindmt

Flax and cancer

Hi KOA
Point taken - I guess I was weighing in with Ted (as I usually do, LOL)...
the stuff on flax oil curing cancer is very interesting, please don't get me wrong.

Only an observation that 1) Flax oil is terribly unstable 2) While the therapeutic benefits are not necessarily mediated by DHA/EPA, my hunch is that they probably are..
.. unsurprisingly, I am very cautious in the seed oil dept. MOST seeds (flax being the notable exception) are loaded with inflammatory omega 6.

There is a well known vegan source of DHA (but low in EPA) - microalgae oil.
Currently, even more exorbitant than krill oil... which is just plain daft - or maybe I should say greedy.

Parting shot - cancer is practically unknown in the Inuit on a traditional diet...
high in saturated fats, and of course, DHA/EPA from animal/fish origins. Not a seed, vegetable, fruit, tuber in sight - ZERO fibre. Plenty of dietary vitamin D too. We might want to reflect on those facts (or should I say FATS?)

If you think this is the wrong thread - be my guest to quote and post your response (if any?) wherever you feel most appropriate, but I navigate using the search function anyhow, as I imagine quite a few folks would do.