GERD / acid reflux - reduce

Minu

I am asking not for myself but for my father. General specifics - 60s, overweight, no real interest in exercise, no gall bladder [removed years ago].

He constantly has acid reflux / heartburn these last few months. Nothing has changed in the diet so I am thinking it is merely something that has been building up and is now more obvious.

Doctor is a bit concerned about esophageal cancer - he's getting checked come the new year. DR has suggested tecta, however, dad hates pills. He is rarely sick as it is - so he sees tecta as something of a last resort. And even then we'd have to fight him to get him to agree.

I am trying to get him to change his diet - however, am wondering if there's any natural meds / supplements he can take that'd help. Any particular diet suggestions?

jfh

perpetual student
Sorry, Minu. It's difficult when a "doctor" is concerned about cancer. People are so scared about cancer that the doctor is given full control.

GERD is a result of weak digestion. As we age, we do not produce as much stomach acid as we are use to; and therefor we do not adapt our diet.

For acid reflux, an immediate relief is to take about 4 oz of water with about 1/4 or more teaspoon of baking soda. That's Soda, not powder. The sodium bicarbonate will offset acid quickly. Of course, this means that it should not be taken near meals as the food will not digest.

1/2 cup aloe vera juice about 3 time daily will soothe the irritated esophagus.

Chamomile tea, a few times daily is anti-inflammatory.

Licorice can also bring quick release and may help heal the stomach lining. Capsules 380mg 3 times a day.

Slippery elm, 500mg, 3 times a day to help soothe the whole gastrointestinal tract.

Also, you might try to search on this site for GERD or acid reflux.

Now, if he does have to start chemotherapy, beware that some of these suggestions may interfere. I have no chemistry background, so I can help you determine this.

D Bergy

My reflux was caused by H-Pylori. I assumed that the infection caused the stomach to secrete more acid in an attempt to rid itself of the bacterium.

I used a frequency device to get rid of it but there are other ways. Manuka Honey is supposed to inhibit or reduce it.

Not having a gallbladder probably does not help either. It regulates the bile coming from the liver. The gallbladder will release bile when needed. Without one the bile dumps into the stomach at random times. Even if there is no food present.

Dan

d0ug

ACID REFLUX is an epidemic affecting as many as 40 percent of Americans. In addition to heartburn and indigestion, reflux symptoms may include postnasal drip, hoarseness, difficulty swallowing, chronic throat clearing, coughing and asthma. Taken together, sales of prescribed and over-the-counter anti-reflux medications exceed $13 billion per year.

The number of people with acid reflux has grown significantly in recent decades. Reflux can lead to esophageal cancer, which has increased by about 500 percent since the 1970s. And anti-reflux medication alone does not appear to control reflux disease. A Danish study published this year concluded that there were no cancer-protective effects from using the common anti-reflux medications, called proton pump inhibitors, and that regular long-term use was actually associated with an increased risk of developing esophageal cancer.

Why are they not curing this simple problem well $13 billion is the answer. Plus The National Institutes of Health (NIH) estimated the 2009 overall annual costs of cancer were as follows:
Total cost: $216.6 billion
This should be a criminal act but the owners of the medical system think it is good buiness. So let the people suffer and die of cancer and they will make it worst by giving anti acids and pump inhibitors.

Fixing the problem is so simple that a high school drop out could figure out.
1 The stomach has acid and it needs acid to digest food.
2 The acid needs to be strong enough to digest everything from solid to liquid
3 The PH of a healthy stomach is a PH of 2 or less
4 A stomach with a ph of 3 or higher can not kill virus bacteria fungus or paracites
5 When bacteria grow in the stomach you get fermantation startig that causes gas.
6 When the stomach acid reaches a certain level the valve at the top of the stomach closes
7 When the valve at the top of the stomach closes nothing can go back up
8 There is two things needed to make this happen salt which the body uses to make stomach acid 9 Also calcium to make the acid pumps in the stomach work.
10 Some people use apple cider vinegar to help the acid until the health of the stomach returns.
11 Don’t drink sodas close to a meal because they kill the acid.
12 Anti acid might feel good but destroying your digestive system is not good news.

You have a chance to help yourself or buy the doctor a new car.

revzen

Big pHarma is only concerned with £££$$$. Cures are suppressed, as we know with the cancer industry.

In the early 1960's a group came together to formulate a plan which is known now as Codex Alimenrarius. They want us restricted in all we do. Vitamins, herbs and natural remedies are their enemy !!!

Who are 'They' ?!?! I have an idea but to publish it could be detrimental, so I keep it a secret to outsiders.

Lola1988

Hi.
I am so sorry to hear that about your father. Did he started to loose weight, did he has any other symptoms ? How is your dad now ?

naturegal

I'm looking for foods (more specifically) that help build your PH to what it should be. I understand thing deplete as we get older. I'm not sure if that's all of my problem, but I am 63. I heard apples help to replace the things we need to digest our foods/drink?? Does anyone have a list of foods that can work on the "supplementing" of the loss?

Thanks for any help;)

d0ug

Try taking apple cider vinegar before meals and salt your food to taste.
Look for foods that have good amount of calcium as calcium is used for the acid pumps in the stomach.
Do not drink any sodas 1 hour before or after a meal.

naturegal

I will try the acv d0ug but salt seems to make my tinnitus worse, not sure yet because I haven't been off "any extra" salt (except what may be naturally in some things like spinach) for but a few days. I'm sure I need more calcium so I will do that as well, thank you so much;)

Aren't there some fruits or tomatoes that are good to build back up your your acids?

d0ug

Salt is sodium chloride your stomach acid is hydrochloric acid there is the chloride from the salt and you pancreas uses the sodium to make sodium bicarbonate which your pancreas uses to kill the acid so your intestines are alkaline. Salt is the back bone of your digestion system. When a farmer puts out a salt block for his cows does he stand there telling his cows only one lick or does the cows know how much they need. It is a shame that cows know more than our doctors.
Your tinnitus is osteoporosis of the bones in the skull yes getting more calcium and without strong stomach you will not be able to absorb calcium

naturegal

I do believe my tinnitus is my neck bones and the nerves in the muscle deteriorating d0ug. I was just diagnosed with bonespurs too, and this a.m. I had so much pain. But with the increase in "pain in the neck" my T has gotten way worse. I believe you are right.

I'll try everything you said in the first post. It is about trial and error, but I am scared of the drugs like clonazapam, prilosec etc. that they want to give me, so I come to talk to people like you:)

naturegal

Good luck and your bone spurs will grow back in when you get enough calcium
Have you really seen that happen d0ug?? That would be so wonderful, I'll try. Now all I have to know which Calcium to get (citrate?) and I need to take magnesium citrate with it??

To get back on topic, I do feel better now. Before I ate, about 20 min. I drank a tsp or so of acv with a little bottled water;):lol:

d0ug

I am glad to see that you are doing some resarch now good luck. Check out more natural salt and table salt might not be as they say. Check out sea salt or others. I use on here which comes from the ocean off the Dominican Republic which is where I live. It is a little gray and it is in chunks which I have to grind up for the table.

naturegal

I read a lot but mostly when things are not going well;) Our store here is very good for being a small town. I found a sea salt as described in that article. grey (almost sandy looking) and it is "clomped" but not to hard to break up. Now I'll need to read more on how much to eat a day, don't want to overdo but that wouldn't be me since I'm not crazy for salt anyway.

I also found the Now brand of Calcium citrate w/magnesium and took one already. 500 mg tabs, and it recommend 2 a day. 500 mg of the mag as well;) Feedback welcome but I'm on my way at least;) thanks so much d0ug:)

Oh, the salt is from Utah;) go figure, and it's called Real Salt. I'll see if I can get a pic of the label. There was more expensive celtic sea salt but I just couldn't spare the money on that one:

A little blurry but what I could find online for info.

Last edited:

d0ug

The salt I get is more like rock salt and it makes no difference if it is ground or not
So much for that now if you look at all the other minerals that are in that salt you will start to see minerals you have never heard of and some of those minerals if your body is deficient inyou will be in big trouble. Just to name a few.
Selenium ;cardiomyopathy heart attack, cancer risk, muscular dystrophy, cystic fibrosis.
Samarium ;animal studies prevents some cancers, hearing loss, male pattern baldness double life span
Praseodymium; animal studies doubles life span, enhances normal cell growth
Silver; anti-bacterial, anti-fungal, anti-viral, promotes healing
Sulfur; degeneration of cartilage, ligaments and tendons
Thulium; animal studies doubles life span, enhances normal cell growth
I could list them all but you get the idea we need them all and good salt is a good source

naturegal

It's made my day finding all this out doug, I will use it, and keep researching, adding more things to my diet/supplementing;) thank you again:) I feel very hopeful today:) I am sure I am on the right track:)