Ginger to Improve Markers for Type 2 Diabetes

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
The value of Ginger for Type 2 Diabetes. Full article here. https://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/modest-dose-ginger-improves-8-markers-diabetes-type-2

A promising study published in the International Journal of Food Sciences and Nutrition reveals that the popular kitchen spice ginger may be an effective treatment for the prevention of diabetes and its complications.

Ginger is in the same plant family (Zingiberacea) that includes the medicinal powerhouse turmeric, and which only recently was proven to be 100% effective in preventing the development of type 2 diabetes in prediabetics, according to a study published in the American Diabetes Association's own journal Diabetes Care.

In the new ginger study, titled "The effect of ginger consumption of glycemic status, lipid profile and some inflammatory markers in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus," 70 type 2 diabetic patients were enrolled in a double-blinded, placebo-controlled clinical trial, the objective of which was to assess the effect of ginger consumption on glycemic status, lipid profile and some common inflammatory markers associated with the condition.

The trial participants were divided randomly into a ginger group and control group, receiving either 1600 mg ginger or a 1600 mg placebo daily for 12 weeks.

The patients were measured before and after the intervention for blood sugar levels, blood lipids, C-reactive protein, prostaglandin E2 and tumor necrosis factor alpha (TNFα).

jfh

perpetual student
The amount of ginger used in the study amounted to 1.6 grams, which is a non-heroic, 'culinary' dose of approximately a quarter of a teaspoon.

That's not much. I do love ginger tea with lemon, but that's not quite 1/4 tsp. I don't have to worry so much about diabetes, but love to take ginger for other health reasons.

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Original Poster
I have to worry about diabetes, because type 2 has been in 3 of my immediate family members. I'm a little overweight now, need to lose ten pounds or so from holiday eating.

Joined a gym for free with my Silver Sneakers card and have been going several times a week so far on the bicycle, treadmills, elliptical and weight machines. Also backing of fatty sweets.

I take Chromium Picolinate and Bitter Melon daily, also some other supplements that may be good for diabetes. I don't care for ginger, never used it except many years ago when I had cold and put some in my hot tea.