Have You Received the PCV13 Vaccine

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
I got a message from my health insurance provider that I need to get a PCV13 vaccine.

I believe they're pushing that now for people over 65, for pneumonia, strep, etc. I don't take flu shots and am not a big fan of vaccines, so I wanted to ask others before I approved getting it.

It seems that you need a second vaccine follow-up when you get the PCV.

Have you had this vaccine, any bad side effects. What's your opinion on its effectiveness? I don't like to get my info from the CDC, they have an agenda to promote vaccines and pharmaceuticals.

jfh

perpetual student
I'm not going to. I'm not around children or even other people very much. At least not closely. I always wash my hands when I return from the grocery store too.

I really like Dr Mercola for info on many health related problems. But he is sometimes more extreme than I like.

Here is info on PCV-7 and 13. https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2012/05/22/pneumonia-vaccine-shown-to-actually-increase-bacterial-infections.aspx

Also
"Now, the reason for [the introduction of new PCV-13 vaccine] was that when Prevnar was originally introduced, it seemed to cause a reduction in cases of meningitis, and possibly pneumonia, due to the bacteria that were included in the vaccine. Subsequently, there was an increase in cases throughout the United States and also in the rest of the world of strains that were not included in the vaccine.

There have been a lot of studies on this. In some places, there are more infections than before. In most places, there seems to be net fewer, but not a lot net fewer. The infections that now occur – not everywhere, but it seems that in the majority of places – are more antibiotic-resistant than they were before."
But even worse

As mentioned below in the children’s side effects section, the flu vaccine may increase your seizure risk. The CDC notes that a higher risk of fever-caused seizures is possible after a child is given a flu shot with the pneumococcal vaccine (PCV13) and/or DTaP vaccine. To prevent this, inform your doctor before the flu vaccination if you have a child who has experienced a seizure.72

Lastly, the flu vaccine may cause extensive damage to your body’s nervous system, and predispose you to the following conditions:73

• Brain and nerve disorders: Flu shots have been linked to brain inflammation and encephalopathy, Acute Disseminated Encephalomyelitis (ADEM), optic neuritis, partial facial paralysis, brachial plexus neuropathy and vasculitis.

• Guillain-Barré Syndrome (GBS):74 A flu shot can slightly raise your risk for GBS, with estimates being one or two cases per 1 million vaccinations.75 GBS, which can develop two to four weeks after the vaccination, is an autoimmune disorder that may target your peripheral nervous system, trigger temporary or permanent paralysis and other chronic health problems, or even cause death.

Common GBS symptoms to watch out for include muscle weakness, numbness, an unsteady gait, tingling, pain, or facial or limb paralysis.76

https://articles.mercola.com/flu-shot-side-effects.aspx

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Original Poster
Thanks for your reply and information Jfh, I highly respect your opinion on these things. Like you, I'm not around children or many people, and I try to keep my immune system strong with supplements including D3, C and antioxidants. I also have been washing my hands often, etc.

I don't see a doctor often, but I intend to go next year for some bloodwork, glucose testing, etc. I can look forward to arguing with a pushy doctor about my personal rights not to inject substances into my body that I don't trust or agree with. Even when I refuse the flu shot, they either try to invoke fear or guilt....doesn't work with me, I see through it. They're just doing their jobs, but I have to live with my body and mind. ;)

jaminhealth

I get NO vaccines and I'm 80. Not around children and in crowds seldom. I take care of my health with supps and have a strong immune system.

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Original Poster
Welcome Pigtailz! Sorry to hear about your father, I bet there are a lot of cases nobody ever hears or knows about of side effects from vaccinations. Unfortunately, I don't think doctors and nurses have a choice, one day none of us will. :evil:

ozzie

I don't get any vaccines, I cant remember the last time I had a flu and have been in and out of hospitals a bit lately with hubby.
I believe vaccinations compromise our immune systems
According to the radio,this is the worst flu season we have had here in this state so far so the vaccines haven't stopped people getting the flu.if anything it seems it has helped spread the flu.
Grand daughter is doing a nursing course, and has to have all the vaccinations to do the course.

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Original Poster
Several years ago I agreed, through encouragement from my husband, to get a Shingles vaccine. Luckily I've had no bad side effects from it. I haven't accepted a flu vaccine in many years and have no regrets, last time I had the flu (which wasn't that bad), I was still taking annual flu shots.

I don't know if I was in a profession like nursing, how I would feel about taking vaccines I felt uncomfortable with. They have no choice, that may benefit them being around so many sick and infected people.....but honestly, I can't say for sure. Regardless, if they want to keep their jobs and excel in a career, they don't have any freedom to say no.

I hope your granddaughter does well in her career, nurses are generally very caring and empathetic people.

ozzie

Thank you Kind2creatures, she only started uni in Feburary and seems to be enjoying and doing well so far. I think she would eventually like to do pediatrics or something to do with children, when she finishes uni.

Ruth

I got a pneumonia shot about 6 or 7 years ago and am not due again for some time. I opt to get them as I believe they can be good. I woke up with a horrible cough in my lungs this morning and in an hour it was gone. Don't know what that meant but it's good news to me. I have nodules on my lungs that can lead to worse. Dr. is monitoring them for the next year to see if they become cancerous. Hopefully not! :)

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Original Poster
Good luck with your lungs Ruth, hoping cancer never comes into the picture for you.

Ruth

Good luck with your lungs Ruth, hoping cancer never comes into the picture for you.
Thank you! I see the Pulmonologist in Sept. for my last CT Scan. Have been having the scan for almost 3 years and I guess if this one is good, too, I will not have a problem...:)

Lilly-bo

I got a message from my health insurance provider that I need to get a PCV13 vaccine.

I believe they're pushing that now for people over 65, for pneumonia, strep, etc. I don't take flu shots and am not a big fan of vaccines, so I wanted to ask others before I approved getting it.

It seems that you need a second vaccine follow-up when you get the PCV.

Have you had this vaccine, any bad side effects. What's your opinion on its effectiveness? I don't like to get my info from the CDC, they have an agenda to promote vaccines and pharmaceuticals.
I have never taken the flu vaccine. I have given it to my patients. In the UK research shows that Flu levels have not lowered since it's been given.

ozzie

Grand daughter is doing a nursing course, and has to have all the vaccinations to do the course.
I have just found out last week when I saw my Granddaughter that she doesn't have to have the flu vaccination, thank goodness,but she just recently had to have the hepatitis c vac,her mum works for the disabled care and doesn't have to have flu vaccination either.
This is the worst flu season here where I live,which proves the flu vaccination doesn't work.

jaminhealth

One good thing about Medicare, they don't bug us to get vaccines....I would ignore them if they did.