HbA1c Test for Diabetes??

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
I used to do a fasting glucose test to make sure I didn't have diabetes. My results ranged from 83 to 99, and the test standard was 60-99.

Yesterday, instead of the regular fasting glucose test, they gave me the newer HbA1c test. Now my test result show 128.

The other number is 6.1, and the test standard is 3.4-5.6.

So it appears that my reading is a high one that's out of standard. Has anyone been taking these tests for blood glucose, hemoglobin?

Can you explain what these numbers mean, and is it cause for concern? Even if it is, I don't intend to go on any prescription meds, I'll try and correct it myself with supplements, diet and exercise.

Thanks for any input on this.

JanH

It sounds like you're sliding toward diabetes, but an average BS of 128 and 6.1 A1C certainly isn't seriously bad by any means. A bit more exercise, a few less carbs, adding chromium, gymnema, a few other supplements that help control blood sugar may be all you need to stop the trend. I'm always cautious about fasting blood sugar test if you've fasted for 12 hours. My lowest blood sugar is at about seven hours. After 12 my brain thinks it's starving and the liver releases glucagon and BS starts to rise. I've had a reading of 158 at seven hours and 235 at 12 hours with zero intake of food. An A1C is a better indication of blood sugar problems and 6.1 IS out of "normal," but not cause for panic by any means.

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Original Poster
Thanks for your input and advice Jan! I'm so used to the normal fasting blood glucose numbers, that this kinda threw me off. At the time of this test, I had been completely fasting for 15 hours.

I plan to up my exercise and lower my carbs for sure. I've already been taking Chromium Picolinate daily for a long time, and Bitter Melon on and off. I need to use some cinnamon now.

JanH

Gymnema is a really good addition to your regimen. It's been called "the sugar destroyer" in Ayurvedic medicine since the 6th century B.C. One supplement I take is from Swanson Vitamins and it contains Cinnamon, Gymnema, and Mulberry all in one capsule.

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Original Poster
Thanks Jan, I'll check it out, I've ordered from Swanson many times over the years.