Indigestion

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
I think I have more heartburn and acid reflux than I used to when younger, thankfully the reflux is not very often. I've been eating a small tart apple in the early evening, like Granny Smith or Pink Lady, and that seems to help with nighttime heartburn.

If I feel some coming on, usually a half teaspoon of baking soda in a small amount of water will make be belch and therefore relieving the heartburn. Of course you have to be careful if you have any high blood pressure issues, because the baking soda contains sodium.

My mother always had heartburn and was taking antacids. In her later years she had a problem with choking also, due to a weakened esophagus, which I understand is common in elderly people. I'm thinking I may be the same way, no choking on food yet, but may be a reason behind the heartburn and reflux.

As they say, getting old is not for sissies. :)

ozzie

Original Poster
I think I have more heartburn and acid reflux than I used to when younger, thankfully the reflux is not very often. I've been eating a small tart apple in the early evening, like Granny Smith or Pink Lady, and that seems to help with nighttime heartburn.

If I feel some coming on, usually a half teaspoon of baking soda in a small amount of water will make be belch and therefore relieving the heartburn. Of course you have to be careful if you have any high blood pressure issues, because the baking soda contains sodium.

My mother always had heartburn and was taking antacids. In her later years she had a problem with choking also, due to a weakened esophagus, which I understand is common in elderly people. I'm thinking I may be the same way, no choking on food yet, but may be a reason behind the heartburn and reflux.

As they say, getting old is not for sissies. :)
Sorry to see that your mum had issues with choking kind2creatures that would be awful I hope you don't get it.
I do take carb soda in water sometimes, when it gets too bad, I find chocolate gives me indigestion and store bought cakes and biscuits I think the gluten in baked goods has a lot to do with it as well.I must give the apple a try.
We have also put our bed on a slant as well.

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Good idea Ozzie, they say if you keep your upper body elevated a bit it will help with heartburn. I never tried that though, we have a big king size bed and my husband doesn't have many heartburn issues. Most I've tried is 2 pillows, that didn't really help, just made my neck hurt. :)