Nutrition of Fresh Spinach

ozzie

I love spinach especially the small leaves in a pasta dish with chopped walnuts.
I grew some of that multi coloured spinach a couple of years ago that was nice as well.

Arrowwind09

Standing at the Portal
Spinach is great but Lamb's quarters, very similar to spinach, is a fair sight better. You can grow it easily.

ophiuchus

titan
"better"

in what ways?

beware of eating too much of it (as with all greens), as it contains relatively high amounts of oxalic acid, a strong chelating agent. moderate amounts of greens will help remove heavy metals like lead and mercury from the body, but will also remove metals that the body needs like magnesium and iron.

red pepper is one of if not the greatest source of iron, so combining these in recipes would not only be wise, but tasty too.

Arrowwind09

Standing at the Portal
you can do the analysis for yourself
https://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2869/2

I am not concerned about the oxalic acid and most people without kidney issues tolerate it without a hitch. Most of the stuff written about it is unfounded. You must keep the minerals and metals moving in your body. This plant may move some out but it provides much also. It may also help to chelate radiation ions.

saved1986

In seaerch of spicy food
you can do the analysis for yourself
https://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2869/2

I am not concerned about the oxalic acid and most people without kidney issues tolerate it without a hitch. Most of the stuff written about it is unfounded. You must keep the minerals and metals moving in your body. This plant may move some out but it provides much also. It may also help to chelate radiation ions.

Spinach is fine, but mustard greens and rhubarb have way too high levels of oxalates

majbsb

i would like to add that I masticate juice lots every few days and add a green apple to sweeten the taste.

Marilyn27

We put fresh spinach in our smoothies, mixed in with berries, apples, etc...

What about frozen spinach? Is that blanched or cooked before it's frozen, or just chopped and frozen from raw?

ophiuchus

titan
"mustard greens and rhubarb have high levels of oxalates"

good to know.

You must keep the minerals and metals moving in your body.
definitely. thanks for the info, and in fact, i did compare the two. i didn't find one any "better" than the other, however i did notice some things.

spinach has a higher balance of nutrients as well as a higher degree of "completeness", and is a definitive degree more anti-inflammatory.

in terms of nutrients, lambs quarters has significantly higher levels of vitamin c and calcium, with higher fat content, whereas spinach contains much higher levels of iron and vitamin a, and more protein content.

mommysunshine

Quinoa is part of the spinach family. You can buy some quinoa from the store and plant them to get some homegrown greens.

I saw a guy on utube recently and he took 1 pound of greens and blended it with 1 glass of orange juice. He gobbled it down.