Nuts scraping insides??

someguy

So in general I try to avoid foods like corn chips, popcorn, seeds, nuts.. because they can scrape your insides..

Anyway, I broke my rule the other day and ate a dish with hard nuts in it.. then this morning I pooped it out and could feel the sensation of scraping around my rectum as it came out.. no bleeding though..

However, im wondering, do these sharp little bits of undigested nuts scrape my intestines? Could they cause a problem by scraping and thus weakening the intestinal lining? If I could feel a little scraping action around my anus on the way out, I can imagine during peristalsis when the intestines are grabbing onto and squeezing the feces out, that it would be even more pronounced on the inside? Could this lead to leaky gut etc? I know the lining can heal itself pretty quickly without other factors..

Anyway, im definitely staying away from hard nuts from now on.. only nut butters, or soft nuts are ok imo.

larryberry

i wouldnt be to worried about. i am sure our ancient ancestors ate more scrapeyer forms of roughedge. haha love my spelling this post? I am layinf in a hot bath and thus too lazy to try and spell those words right. No one really cares about spelling here anyway, right?

limitme

So in general I try to avoid foods like corn chips, popcorn, seeds, nuts.. because they can scrape your insides..

Anyway, I broke my rule the other day and ate a dish with hard nuts in it.. then this morning I pooped it out and could feel the sensation of scraping around my rectum as it came out.. no bleeding though..

However, im wondering, do these sharp little bits of undigested nuts scrape my intestines? Could they cause a problem by scraping and thus weakening the intestinal lining? If I could feel a little scraping action around my anus on the way out, I can imagine during peristalsis when the intestines are grabbing onto and squeezing the feces out, that it would be even more pronounced on the inside? Could this lead to leaky gut etc? I know the lining can heal itself pretty quickly without other factors..

Anyway, im definitely staying away from hard nuts from now on.. only nut butters, or soft nuts are ok imo.

I've eaten plenty of nuts....hard nuts, soft nuts, roasted nuts, raw nuts, spicy nuts, bland nuts, big nuts, small nuts, and everything in between.

No problems with scraping here.

I'm pretty sure when God created nuts for us to eat, he covered his tracks and made sure they wouldn't scrape our asses on the way out.

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Nuts may interfere with digestion unless they are chewed well or chopped into fine particles. I eat almonds, pecans, walnuts and macadamia nuts all the time with no problems, good fiber and nutrients.

jbo

I eat almonds and walnuts every single day and never experienced a single issue what so ever.
It's probably an individual issue with nuts and not an issue across the board with most people. Some people have to avoid milk, alcohol, my mother avoids walnuts as she's allergic, other people avoid spicy foods. I would just continue avoid nuts if you have digestive issue with nuts

larryberry

I used to eat sunflower seeds shell and all, and they never bothered me coming out the other end.

jfh

perpetual student
The intestinal mucosal lining is your first line of defense against such things. Biotin helps to replenish that. It helps to protect against bad organisms in the gut. Reduces inflammation. Improves nutrient absorption. Reverses the damage caused by food intolerances, parasitic infections, inflammatory bowel disease, Crohn’s disease, colitis and leaky gut syndrome. And Reduces the burden on the liver from toxins leaking through the gut wall.

Some things can "scrape" the intestinal walls to help clean them, such as psylium husks, clay, and diatomaceous earth. Things like that. But they really work within the mucous, moving along with it.

This is one reason why it is not good to use too much of those products that thin the mucous to expel from the lungs. It does so in the rest of the body too.

Other than biotin, the amino acid l-glutamine is well known to heal the mucosal lining and tissues. Also good are licorice root and slippery elm. And turmeric.

someguy

Original Poster
Hey JFH .. good info! Thats crazy about the expectorants thinning intestinal mucous too.. makes total sense, never though of that before.. Good thing I no longer use those products anymore (bad for prostate)..

Yes its true that humans have been eating nuts for thousands/millions of years.. like I said, I would assume any irritation would heal quickly in a healthy body, but not all of us have perfectly functioning digestive systems.. I know people use fiber products to "scrape" stuff out of the intestines, but thats a more subtle thing, im talking about actual little chips of nuts with sharp edges...

Normally I soak almonds overnight before eating them.. and in general I avoid most sharp foods like that, but I had some the other day..

Nuts seem to cause a lot of gas for me anyway, not sure why, but I will probably avoid them because of that anyway.

What are some good natural(food) based sources of biotin?

someguy

Original Poster
Thanks :) Well im probably doing ok then as I have a glass of warm raw goats milk every night and I eat lettuce, carrots, eggs, onions, cucumber.. and occasionally almonds/etc. so I should be doin ok!

Do nuts cause gas for you guys too? Im not sure if its everytime, but for sure when they are just raw, hard nuts.. seems better when they are in nut milk, nut butter etc.

EarlyBird

If you still want to enjoy Nuts, you can grind them in a coffee grinder to any consistency you want.
I grind a mixture of almonds, walnuts or pecans, peanuts and flax seeds daily, & a tiny bit of sea salt.
I eat mine this way because I don't wear my false teeth around the house :oops:
:D & I often eat them in between meals. :cool:

jbo

Normally I soak almonds overnight before eating them.. and in general I avoid most sharp foods like that, but I had some the other day..
I read this a few times when actually trying to research people who have this issue . Sounds like good advice

jfh

perpetual student
Almonds are best soaked, because it starts the regeneration process for new life. California almonds are now pasteurized. I don't know if it would work anymore.