Reasons to add Pineapple to your diet

jfh

perpetual student
Pineapple provides you with digestive enzymes: Pineapple contains bromelain, a proteolytic enzyme that is an effective aid in the breakdown of proteins. Unlike the pancreatic enzymes that your body produces and releases, bromelain has a broad pH range in which it can remain effective, providing enzymatic activity in the stomach as well as in the intestines.

Pineapple helps decrease pain and inflammation of arthritis: Bromelain has anti-inflammatory, analgesic, anti-edema, and antithrombotic properties. It mediates prostaglandin levels, decreasing both pain and inflammation. Studies have shown that it can reduce swelling in 72.4% of patients and pain level by 80% sustained even 4 weeks post treatment. Bromelain extract may in fact provide an alternative to NSAIDs for patients with arthritis.

Pineapple is a fantastic source of nutrients and hydration: Pineapple contains considerable amounts of Vitamin C, calcium, potassium, fiber, water, and B vitamins. In fact, between 81-86% of the fruit itself is moisture. Talk about it being very hydrating! In addition, half a cup of pineapple juice contains 50% of the recommended daily amount of vitamin C.

Pineapple has an effect on the cardiovascular system and circulation: Bromelain has been shown to prevent and minimize the severity of angina (chest pain) and transient ischemic attacks by breaking down cholesterol plaques in blood vessels. It also inhibits platelet aggregation, minimizing the risk of blood clots.

Pineapple can help prevent cancer: The anti-cancerous effect of bromelain is due to its immune modulatory, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant activity. Bromelain has also shown to increase the expression of p53, an activator of normal apoptosis, important to cause cancer cell death. The high Vitamin C content in pineapple is a powerful antioxidant that protects against the damaging effects of free radicals.

A word of caution: Similar to grapefruit, the enzyme content in raw pineapple can cause an increased uptake of certain medications. If you are on medication that is contraindicated with grapefruit, consult your doctor before consuming raw pineapple.

Rick Jones

Pineapples have exceptional juiciness and a vibrant tropical flavor that balances the tastes of sweet and tart.

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
We buy natural unsweetened dried pineapple slices from our local health food store, Natural Grocers. Good to have around as a snack or a morning pick-me-up. 👍

One of my favorite fruit.

That said, I buy it canned. I hate cooking, cutting, messy things. So buying fresh pineapple and cutting it and doing all that... I don't wanna

But canned Pineapple, love it.