Silver makes antibiotics 1000 times more effective

jfh

perpetual student
Bacteria have a weakness: silver. The precious metal has been used to fight infection for thousands of years — Hippocrates first described its antimicrobial properties in 400 BC — but how it works has been a mystery. Now, a team led by James Collins, a biomedical engineer at Boston University in Massachusetts, has described how silver can disrupt bacteria, and shown that the ancient treatment could help to deal with the thoroughly modern scourge of antibiotic resistance. Collins and his team found that silver — in the form of dissolved ions — attacks bacterial cells in two main ways: [silver] makes the cell membrane more permeable, and it interferes with the cell’s metabolism, leading to the overproduction of reactive, and often toxic, oxygen compounds. Both mechanisms could potentially be harnessed to make today’s antibiotics more effective against resistant bacteria, Collins says. Many antibiotics are thought to kill their targets by producing reactive oxygen compounds, and Collins and his team showed that when boosted with a small amount of silver these drugs could kill between 10 and 1,000 times as many bacteria. The increased membrane permeability also allows more antibiotics to enter the bacterial cells, which may overwhelm the resistance mechanisms that rely on shuttling the drug back out. That disruption to the cell membrane also increased the effectiveness of vancomycin, a large-molecule antibiotic, on Gram-negative bacteria — which have a protective outer coating. Gram-negative bacterial cells can often be impenetrable to antibiotics made of larger molecules.

https://www.nature.com/news/silver-makes-antibiotics-thousands-of-times-more-effective-1.13232

d0ug

A lot of burn units are using silver impregnated bandages to stop infections.
The roomer is leading band aid companies are coming out with silver impregnated bandages.
I make it myself and seen surprising results on many ailments.

jbaerbock

Just started using 10ppm CS in my eye for an eye infection/pink eye/some such thing. Hoping it works as well as people state online.

cyber-junkie

Inquisitor
Just started using 10ppm CS in my eye for an eye infection/pink eye/some such thing. Hoping it works as well as people state online.
As long as it's a good quality nano-particle silver product you should be fine, I have used it myself in the eyes, no problems!

abeland1

Three factors will determine the quality of the colloidal silver that you make. The first is the water that you use. It must be distilled to a high degree of purity. You will need some way to check that the water you are using is pure enough. The distilled water that sold in grocery stores in 1-gallon containers will generally be good enough. You will still need some way to check it. That can be done with a conductivity meter or by some method included in the design and function of whatever generator we use.

The second factor is the purity of the silver that we use. We want silver ions and preferably no other metals. We want to make a solution containing silver ions, as they are proven to be of great benefit. Many other metals can do us great harm. We must take every precaution we can to avoid taking toxic metals into our bodies. That is why we use only 9999 silver wire and insist on a certificate of analysis showing the impurities that are present. In the case of the highest quality silver, the most significant contamination will be copper which is not bad in small amounts. That will be the case in silver that comes directly from silver ore. If you buy silver without an assay certificate, it could contain scraps from manufacturing facilities that are alloying silver with any number of other metals. So it's not just a matter of it being 9999, but what is the nature of the additional .01%. When we make colloidal silver, the result is a liquid solution with silver in parts per million (PPM). It makes no sense to try to economize on this. If we consider making colloidal silver at a strength of 10 PPM, for example, 1 ounce of silver wire could make theoretically 100,000 ounces or 1500 gallons of colloidal silver.

The third factor is the amount of time that we allow the process. Hydrogen will appear at the cathode (the negatively charged electrode, where electrons enter the water), and oxygen will appear at the anode (the positively charged electrode). In the days of the 3 9 V battery and silver coins method, we would wait until we saw a cloud. That we were told were pieces of silver forming in the water and stopping the process soon after that. In reality, the cloud created by hydrogen and oxygen microbubbles and meant that the process was in a runaway mode. Disconnecting the batteries at that point would, if you were lucky, get you perhaps a five PPM colloidal silver solution. It would not keep its strength for very long as the larger particles would quickly collide with and absorb the silver ions. A few of us promoted the use of current limiting to prevent the runaway condition. Some of us noted that the higher resistance we used, the better results we obtained in both higher PPM and stability. Many of us tried every conceivable method of stirring to allow the use of a higher current to speed up the process. All of my efforts in this direction failed. I could not get around the fact that for a given surface area of silver anode only a certain amount of current was allowed. There is a region surrounding the anode called the Nernst diffusion area. That is a region that will only allow a specific density of ions to exist before they agglomerate into larger particles. So for those of you with your setups for making colloidal silver, try reducing the current and allowing more time and let us know the results.

d0ug

Right on I get my distilled water from medical supply because I have used other and the silver fell out of solution must not been pure enough

abeland1

Another item that you will find useful is a quality laser pointer. Nothing from China. High-quality laser pointers have a current regulating circuit which ensures that the output of the laser remains the same no matter what the condition of the batteries. The rated power is maintained until there is no laser action whatsoever, at which time the batteries have to be replaced. The cheap ones from China will vary in power, therefore making a very poor test instrument. The laser pointer will enable you to see the generation of the small particles, as they are being made. This will occur after you have achieved the highest possible ionic portion, the ions are combining to form larger particles. In the days before we had laser pointers to use, we did not know whether or not we had made colloidal silver until a yellow hue appeared. The yellow hue was caused by the presence of particles larger than of 40 nm in size. It creates a yellow because the particles block the blue part of the spectrum. If you subtract blue from the rest of the spectrum, you have a red green that you see as yellow. The smaller particles are more desirable as they have more surface area.

d0ug

Very inexpensive PPM [TDS] meter can tell you how many parts per million the solution has most people make a 10 to 15 PPM. Some that you buy commercially is much higher. Most I make is in that range and clear, some time later it might turn yellow. I have been making it for years using 24 volts that is what my inverter batteries have.

PTSD Joe

A lot of burn units are using silver impregnated bandages to stop infections.
The roomer is leading band aid companies are coming out with silver impregnated bandages.
I make it myself and seen surprising results on many ailments.
Do you think that it might have something to do with the silver's ability to magnify the resonant frequencies of the body? In other words, the body's DNA (resonant Frequencies). I'd be interested in hearing more...
Thanks!