The dangers of alkaline water

jfh

perpetual student
I've posted about alkalizing the body several times. How dangerous it is, and the fallacy of it contributing to cancer cures. Cancer produces acid by its very own lifecycle. Even our friendly bacteria produces acid, and is the reason the intestines are slightly acid and must remain that way. Cancer can thrive in any environment. The body has numerous systems to balance the pH all by itself.

But the real reason why alkaline water is a scam is that it has no buffers to maintain its pH. The instant the alkaline water hits your very acidic stomach, the pH is neutralized as there are no buffers. Truly alkaline water would have an alkaline buffer like baking soda (sodium bicarbonate), which is also our body's natural alkaline buffer.

https://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2018/11/12/hydrogen-water-vs-alkaline-water.aspx

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
I've been using 2 tablespoons of organic lemon juice and 1/3 teaspoon of baking soda in a half glass of water in the mornings. I've never bought alkaline water. What is your opinion on the lemon juice mixture Jfh?

jfh

perpetual student
Original Poster
Lemons provide a lot more than alkaline benefits, so I like drinking water with lemon each morning. Well, maybe a very few days a week. Just wait for about an hour before trying to digest anything. Your stomach pH will be too diluted to process minerals and digestive enzymes.

Dr Mercola has written extensively on lemon water to start the day. But he also likes intermittent fasting. So, sometimes nothing but water for breakfast. You can search on his site. He is a very healthy person, running each day and in his mid 60s.

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
I take most of my supplements in late afternoon or evening, but I do take a couple in the morning after the lemon bicarb water.....probably shouldn't be doing that.

jfh

perpetual student
Original Poster
Mother Nature does it better. The lemon water is good enough to get the day started. The baking soda is a bit much. Your body has about 200 systems to adjust the pH. By feeding it more alkaline, it will try to overcompensate in the other direction. The stomach needs to be acid (base). You intestines lean toward acid too. It's a delicate balancing act that even uses respiration system to control. Your pancreas produces sodium bicarbonate, if there is too much acid. Your body also produces hydrogen peroxide. The lemons contain hydrogen peroxide. Respiration balances acid/alkaline with oxygen/carbon dioxide. See?

I do take baking soda, when I have some uncomfortable "heart burn". And once, I experienced temporary inflammation in my kidneys. It helped almost immediately. So, baking soda is useful at times.

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Thanks for your input Jfh. I started adding the baking soda when I was hearing that cancer thrives in acidic environments, so using the soda was a small step to discourage cancer in the body.

jfh

perpetual student
Original Poster
So many pseudo naturopathic healers have passed on that info regarding cancer and acid. If you say something repeatedly, people will believe it. The info came from a German researcher and Nobel prize winner Otto Warburg. They have cherry picked info from that paper. https://thetruthaboutcancer.com/otto-warburg-cancer/

Otto Warburg actually said that cancer can thrive in any environment. Cancer produces acid as part of its life cycle, as I've said before. So does your friendly bacteria.

The widespread misrepresentation of Warburg’s discovery is most often used to support the sale of products, books, or treatments which center around beating cancer with oxygen and alkalizing. At one time, Warburg did hypothesize that oxygen might be used to cure cancer. However, when he tested his hypothesis and tried to cure cancer with oxygen, he failed.
and
Simply stated, cancer cells have low oxygen because they quit taking in oxygen for respiration as part of the cancer process itself. Similarly, it is the cancer process itself which causes the body to become increasingly acidic. The body labors mightily to maintain blood pH within a narrow range (7.35 – 7.45) and most people first get cancer when their pH is at or close to the normal range. As the cancer progresses, the body becomes increasingly acidic.
So much marketing hype. It's great for marketing but not necessarily for you.

noorj

A far more recent research that incorporated 100 individuals found a substantial difference entirely blood viscosity following consuming higher pH water when compared with regular water following a strenuous workout. Viscosity may be the direct dimension of exactly how efficiently bloodstream flows with the vessels.

People who consumed higher pH drinking water reduced viscosity through 6. 3 percent when compared with 3. 36 % with regular purified h2o. This indicates blood flowed more proficiently with alkaline drinking water. This may increase air delivery all throughout your body.

However, more research is required beyond these types of small research. In specific, research is required to answer additional claims produced by alkaline drinking water supporters.

Beach Man

A far more recent research that incorporated 100 individuals found a substantial difference entirely blood viscosity following consuming higher pH water when compared with regular water following a strenuous workout. Viscosity may be the direct dimension of exactly how efficiently bloodstream flows with the vessels.

People who consumed higher pH drinking water reduced viscosity through 6. 3 percent when compared with 3. 36 % with regular purified h2o. This indicates blood flowed more proficiently with alkaline drinking water. This may increase air delivery all throughout your body.

However, more research is required beyond these types of small research. In specific, research is required to answer additional claims produced by alkaline drinking water supporters.
Please provide an active Link to the study you cite (and any studies you may cite in the future) so that the readers of this forum can read it and evaluate it for themselves. Some of us may wish to refer to it and/or cite it in the future. Thanks.

Beach Man

ok,
Thanks for the clarity.
Where is the active Link!?

I repeat: Please provide an active Link to the study you cite above (and to any studies you may cite in the future) so that the readers of this forum can read it and evaluate it for themselves. Some of us may wish to refer to it and/or cite it in the future.