Treatment for Lung Fibrosis

RobertJ

Hi, naturopathic medicine has made a world of difference for me. I had a bout of double pneumonia in February 2019 that put me in the hospital for 12 days. My pneumonia did not respond to antibiotics and turned into to acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS), for which the mortality rate can be 30 to 40% (the reported numbers vary widely).

After coming home, I was weak and had to use a walker. I had always been into physical fitness and weight lifting. I found the need for a walker to be embarrassing - it was a blow to my pride. It took me over three months of healing and hard work to regain my lung capacity. But follow up testing showed that I had an underlying condition, NSIP (non-specific interstitial pneumonia) with lung scarring (fibrosis) and dilated airways (bronchieactasis).

The MDs were good at diagnosing the condition, but not good at offering solutions. Lung scarring and bronchieactasis are supposedly irreversible. But I am one to fight back and not be a victim, and began researching alternative solutions. The first was Reduced L-Glutathione Plus from Theranaturals. The antioxidant glutathione is taken into the lungs through a nebulizer.

Prior to nebulizing with glutathione, I would experience severe bronchoconstrictions during extreme exertion such as running up stairs. These bronchoconstrictions pre-dated my pneumonia. I'm 61, and they went back to at least age 43. I previously thought that I had exercise induced asthma. But it turned out that the problem was pulmonary fibrosis.

I found an article published by the National Institutes of Health that states reducing protein oxidation reverses lung fibrosis. I believe that the glutathione must have done something for the fibrosis, because the bronchoconstrictions went away. There were exercises that I could not do to failure in the past because they would trigger a severe asthma-like episode. But now I can go to failure and I'm fine.

I was still bothered by a bad cough though. After coming home from the hospital, I literally coughed 2 to 3 thousand times a day. It was unbearable. After using the glutathione, my cough was down to a few hundred times a day. Better, but still disruptive to my life.

I then found out about the proteolytic enzyme serrapeptase and how it could dissolve internal scarring. I tried various brands but they weren't that strong. I then found out about Dr. William Wong's Zymessence. It's an enzyme blend that includes serrapeptase. After taking Zymessence for about a month and a half, my cough has fallen to just a few dozen times a day and is far less severe. My cough used to be so bad, that it would make me dizzy. That no longer happens.

I just had a pulmonary function test and the doctor told me that the results were better than merely normal, they were excellent.

Proteolytic enzymes are helpful for all middle aged people. Dr. Wong explains that most diseases are an "itis" (inflammation) or an "osis" (internal organ scarring.) Proteolytic enzymes are anti-inflammatory and anti-fibrotic.

jaminhealth

Yikes, you've been thru it....I was just reading some info on higher dosing of Vit C can really work to keep asthma attacks away. I'm 81 and have been taking Vit C at least 1000mg daily and also Grape Seed Extract 200mg daily at least for going on 25 yrs and no colds, no flu, no vaccines....and the Grape Seed Ex got rid of a life before of allergies and sinus issues. And grape Seed Ex does SO MUCH more for so many health issues. Do some research for your self.

Link on Vit C and asthma

https://www.doctoryourself.com/asthma.html
And it's said that Grape Seed Ex is 20x's more powerful than Vit C.

RobertJ

Original Poster
Thanks, I'll have to try the Grape Seed Extract. I've used Vit C for many years out of necessity. I have a weak immune system when it comes to colds and flu. Even as a child, I picked up colds that did not affect anyone else in my family. It's been my experience that Vit C can nuke a cold in the early stages, but I've never had much luck fighting something stronger like the flu. Maybe the Grape Seed Extract will prove to be more powerful.

Update: I just placed an order. It is described as a powerful antioxidant. The glutathione that I'm taking is an antioxidant and is providing good results for my lung issues. Another antioxidant sure wouldn't hurt and might be good.

jaminhealth

Stay with the antioxidants, they are a lifetime way to go. They've changed my life and I found Grape Seed Ex in my 50's and I'm 81...Never sick...

D Bergy

I have some thoughts on the pneumonia and why the glutathione is helping you. Much the same as L-Glutamine helping my intestinal tract.

I have Crohn's disease and one of the four pathogens that I have found responsible is mycoplasma pneumonia. The difference between myself and a normal person is that the mycoplasma collects in my intestinal tract and does most of its destruction there. Most people will experience pneumonia without it really disturbing the intestinal tract. It never really leaves on its own but when it gets even more out of hand it will bring on pneumonia in myself.

I read a lot about Crohn's and L-Glutamine only helps some people but not others. Over the years I puzzled over this but I do think I have a reasonable hypotheses why this works for some but not others. Mycoplasma is a parasitic type of pathogen. It is intracellular and robs your body of amino acids and lipids. The reason I think, any person responds well to a non essential amino acid such as Glutathione or L-Glutamine is simply because they are being drained of their own amino acids directly by mycoplasma.

Not all pneumonia is caused by mycoplasma and Crohn's disease does not always involve mycoplasma, but if you respond well to a non essential amino acid, I would strongly suspect a very high load of mycoplasma. Mycoplasma robs you of energy, it is destructive if a high enough load is present and should be reduced. It is difficult to kill it but it can be done by at least a couple of methods.

I guess the uptake is you are helping your condition by using the Glutathione, but I suspect you have another brewing problem due to a high load of mycoplasma. I could be wrong as this is a hypothesis. I think it is most likely correct.

Dan

RobertJ

Original Poster
I look at some of the allopathic methods listed above, and I have to say that I cringe. Naturopathic medicine has vastly improved my condition and given me my life back with no bad side effects. I'm sticking with naturopathy.

One of the common refrains that I hear is that naturopathic meds such as serrapeptase have not been proven in clinical trials. But guess what, who doles out the money for these "trials"? Most clinical trials are funded by big pharma. Is big pharma going to fund clinical trials of a medicine that they can't patent?

What better way to delegitimize a valid treatment than to refuse to fund any studies, and then tell people, "This treatment hasn't been tested." It reminds me of a stunt pulled by my cousin when he was a kid. He blew up some firecrackers in the yard of a cranky old neighbor. When the neighbor ran outside in a panic, my cousin volunteered to help the neighbor search for the culprit.

Or here's another stunt they could pull. Fund a clinical trial that is designed to fail. Serrapeptase requires fairly large doses for some six to twelve months. So design a study involving low doses for four weeks. At the end of the four weeks, declare serrapeptase to be ineffective.

Allopathic medicine is great for dealing with trauma such as broken bones, but not so great for addressing chronic conditions. Big pharma is the problem.

Review of the very limited serrapeptase studies: Serratiopeptidase: A systematic review of the existing evidence
Reference to a positive study: A multi-centre, double-blind study of serrapeptase versus placebo in post-antrotomy buccal swelling. - PubMed - NCBI

jaminhealth

As I have started to say more and more, pharma drugs are the Alternatives for our health conditions and healing. Natural remedies have been around since the beginning of time.

saved1986

In seaerch of spicy food
Exactly, studies using natural products are designed to fail, the sloan kettering study on Vit C used 60 mg a day with no effect as the result, as the European study used 10 grams a day with results. U have to find a good brand, but Serrapeptase will help over time

Reactions: jfh

RobertJ

Original Poster
I wanted to do a follow up. I have found the following protocol to be personally helpful.
1) Nebulized glutathione 2) serrapeptase 3) nattokinase 4) n acetyl l-cysteine 5) zinc, and now 6) green tea extract.

I previously had a problem with major bronchoconstrictions (tightening of the chest and trouble breathing after high intensity exercise.) This protocol has completely eliminated the problem. A second CT scan taken this year (12 months after the first scan and six months after beginning serrapeptase) showed that "reticular scarring" remained stable, ground glass opacities had receded "mildly", and a lung nodule had shrunk about 80 percent. If the trend continues, the ground glass opacities should eventually be reabsorbed and largely disappear over the years to come.

This protocol is working. What gets me though is the push back I have received, not from doctors, but patients who see themselves as some sort of gate keepers for big pharma. If the natural treatment has not been blessed through an expensive study conducted by big pharma, then it is to be avoided. This protocol can work, but many people almost seem to want to remain sick.