Trying to kill off that stubborn fat.

Facemaster

I'm 22 years old, I'm a little over five feet and weight about 175. I'm trying to kill off some off that stubborn fat by the end of Spring - love handles and what not.

My question, I guess, is: what eating plan should I go on to do this? I'm really new to dieting, I plan on starting February 7th with biking three hours a day (I love to bike) but I'm wondering what foods I should eat to supplement this, etc.

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Hello and welcome. I'm not a big fan of specific 'diets', but it's good just to limit portion sizes, eliminate or reduce fatty/fried foods, cheeses, breads and starches like potatoes and pasta. Keeping a daily log of what you eat on a small notepad also helps, if you see you overate one day, you can cut back extra the next to make up for it. Drinking lots of filtered water is also a good thing to do, adding some lemon juice or apple cider vinegar works as an assist. If you crave sweets and carbohydrates, a supplement like L-Glutamine will reduce cravings. Don't eat late in the evening, give yourself a reasonable cut-off time, so you can digest what you do eat before retiring for the night.

Facemaster

Original Poster
Hmm, all that sounds easy enough. Thanks for the help!

Are peanut butter and eggs good foods to eat at meals? How healthy/unhealthy is a peanut butter and jelly sandwich? Also, is there any way to figure out how much weight I'll need to lose to get rid of these love handles/belly fat?

Again, thanks for all the help!

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
In my opinion, eggs are fine to eat as long as they aren't prepared with lots of butter/spreads, extra virgin coconut oil (unrefined) is good to fry eggs in, or even a light olive oil.

I think peanut butter is good as long as it's natural, Kroger has an inexpensive one and the ingredients are simply roasted peanuts and salt. Of course there's probably more expensive organic options at natural food stores also. The 'jelly' should just be a simple one without extra sugars/corn syrup, etc. Kroger has a "Just Fruit" brand that's actually very tasty and reasonably priced. The bread should probably be a whole grain type, we like to use Oatnut by Orowheat, fairly healthy and still tastes really good.

I think results will be very specific for any individual. Years back when I started just walking briskly for weight loss, I noticed a reduction in belly fat in the area of ten pounds of weight loss, give or take a few.

jbo

Change your lifestyle and dont diet or it will come back. Between low carb, low fat and low calorie diets its been shown that low calorie diets last the longest.
Fiber and protein will keep you fullest

Consider strength training as when you stop working out the rest of the day you are still burning calories as food is being used to repair the muscles that were broken down.

jfh

perpetual student
Peanut butter makers use hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils. Check the labels. This is transfatty acid which is bad for health in general and bad for keeping your weight in check. Natural peanut butter typically has nothing but peanuts. They have oil at the top of the jar, and you will have to stir them before spreading. I like Smart Balance.

Sugar is another enemy of health and weight. So no jelly. Try homemade mayonnaise. Or try mayonnaise with sweet pickles or bananas. Be more creative.

Also, be careful of the bread you use for these sandwiches. Make sure they do not contain High Fructose Corn Syrup, sometimes labelled as corn syrup. As a matter of fact, check for that in any food that you buy, and just say NO. My teenage nephew had a big weight problem. He stopped drinking sodas. A year later, no more weight problem. Don't think that diet sodas are an alternative. They contain a neurotoxin, called aspartame.

Check out this coconut diet, which is really not a diet at all. https://www.coconutdiet.com/

savannarae

There are some really good programs out there designed to help get rid of fat and still stay healthy. Just do a little research and I'm sure you'll find something great!

Solstice Goat

Frater Aegagrus
According to the book, Diet For A Poison Planet, peanut butter has over 156 pesticide residues and should be avoided unless it's organic. Asbestos, arsenic and cyanide are all natural, but just because something is natural, doesn't make it healthy. 'Natural' is the current fraud buzzword used in today's marketing of junk food.

In my neck of the woods, you can't swing a dead cat without hitting an obese person. I attribute this to the whole low fat high carb diet that's been in full swing since the early 80's. I was 224 pounds eight years ago, and I'll be 175 by my 50th b'day in a few months. My energy level is high, I eat when I'm hungry, and I don't eat when I'm not. The weight melts away without effort. I eat primal style; Moderate protien, no limit on fat and no limit on vegetables. I limit my fruit to two servings a day. I avoid grains and legumes. I have eaten every style from convetional to strict vegan. Primal is the ONLY style where I don't feel hungry, my muscle mass is high, and my appetite and weight self regulate.