Vitamin C from Antioxidant to PROoxidant

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Dr. Andrew Weil made a weird statement on the Dr. Oz show today. He said that he took only 200mg of C per day, and would recommend that people didn't take any dose higher than that. He said that higer doses of C changes it from an antioxidant to a PROoxidant. He didn't elaborate, I was surprised to hear him say that...any thoughts on why he would? :? I often take 1,000mg per day, and will continue to do so. If there a thought of getting a cold, I'll mega dose with no hesitation.

saved1986

In seaerch of spicy food
Dr. Andrew Weil made a weird statement on the Dr. Oz show today. He said that he took only 200mg of C per day, and would recommend that people didn't take any dose higher than that. He said that higer doses of C changes it from an antioxidant to a PROoxidant. He didn't elaborate, I was surprised to hear him say that...any thoughts on why he would? :? I often take 1,000mg per day, and will continue to do so. If there a thought of getting a cold, I'll mega dose with no hesitation.

Andrew Weil started off as a typical "I wanna save the world" altruistic individual and slowly became caught up with his fame. Also, I think big pharma and the AMA got their claws into him. He has changed drastically in the last 10 yrs.

Cookie

Lovin' life~
I don't think it's a weird statement and can't understand why he's even putting a synthetic form of 200mg of C in his body per day lol
Has anyone ever found an exclusive form of Rosehip, most likely not as it would be extremely expensive. It's my understanding that the vit C called Rosehip that's sold on the market is actually some sprinkled in with the synthetic source of C so it can be marketed as Rosehip.
Yes, it's difficult to consume daily Vit C from food sources, but at least you know your body is absorbing mostly all of it via that source. Who knows how much you truly absorb through synthetic measures. I believe the immune system views it as something foreign & attacks it.

My thoughts about C didn't go over well in a thread here, but you may still want to read it as it contains quite a few personal views on C~
https://www.natmedtalk.com/showthread.php?t=19388

kind2creatures

...elusive dreamer
Original Poster
I've only had vitamin C with rosehips, Swanson has an inexpensive Rosehip product.

Swanson Ultra
100% Pure Danish Rose Hips

Swanson $5.99 Item #: SWU424
Availability: In Stock
750 mg 60 Caps

Pure, natural joint health nutrition
  • Widely recognized source of vitamin C
  • 750 mg per capsule
Each capsule of Swanson 100% Pure Danish Rose Hips provides 750 mg of pure joint health nutrition and natural seeds and husks of Rosa canina fruit. So, what is a rose hip, exactly? It's simply the fruit of a rose plant, and Rosa canina or Dog Rose, is the most widely used commercial source. Rose hips are widely recognized as a source of vitamin C, but they contain other active phytonutrients as well. We sought out the best, most pristine rose hips we could find to bring you this Swanson Ultra version of a time- honored natural supplement for joint and mobility health.
Product Label

Supplement Facts

Serving Size 1 Capsule
Amount Per Serving% Daily Value Danish Rose Hips (Rosa canina) (husks and seeds with maximum 10% seeds)750 mg

mommysunshine

Vit.C as a PROoxidant creating oxidation in the body? I never heard Linus Pauling mention that. I will stick to his knowledge on vit.C and wonder where Weil got his viewpoint from.

Cookie

Lovin' life~
I've only had vitamin C with rosehips, Swanson has an inexpensive Rosehip product.
That is a pure form, huh?!

The thing you have me wondering now :D is how much Vit C is actually present in the 750mg. I'm thinkin' that 750mg capsule would have to be the size of a meatball or even a baseball if the rosehip Vit C level (750mg) was comparable to 750mg of ascorbic acid.

Wonder if there's somewhere we could research that..

Cookie

Lovin' life~
Vit.C as a PROoxidant creating oxidation in the body? I never heard Linus Pauling mention that. I will stick to his knowledge on vit.C and wonder where Weil got his viewpoint from.
An open mind & a variety of sources is always your best bet!
There's no arguing that Linus Pauling was a brilliant chemist and while there are researchers carrying on studies on molecular basis of disease and treatments at the Linus Pauling Institute, with all the chemists & biochemists world wide, wouldn't other chemists & biochemists have jumped on proving research on the benefits of megadosing of Vit C by now?

This article at wiki is informative
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_C
Especially note (by scrolling down) Pro-oxidant

Cookie

Lovin' life~
No offense intended, but you are off. 750 mg of rose hips converts to 3.5 mg of vit c per 750 mg.

No offense taken, but where did I go wrong in figuring?
Good thing we have a chemist onboard :cool:

Nevermind, i got it Lol That's what I get for multiyappin'.. I forgot to add 2 zeros.
1g = 1000mg so 100g = 100,000mg
So 750 mg of rose hips does convert to 3.5 mg of vitC per 750mg

Okay, nevermind.. I take it back, you'd have to eat a BIG meatball's worth afterall!

cyber-junkie

Inquisitor
An open mind & a variety of sources is always your best bet!
There's no arguing that Linus Pauling was a brilliant chemist and while there are researchers carrying on studies on molecular basis of disease and treatments at the Linus Pauling Institute, with all the chemists & biochemists world wide, wouldn't other chemists & biochemists have jumped on proving research on the benefits of megadosing of Vit C by now?

This article at wiki is informative
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_C
Especially note (by scrolling down) Pro-oxidant

I believe only so much that is on wiki, they are known for being corporate in their views...that being said, I am reading "Curing the Incurable" about vitamin C therapy, from Dr. Tom Levy, MD "with over 1,200 scientific references" and he talks about the "prooxidant effect" in the book and states..."that it's rare at any dose, but doses of 500 mg or less will increase the chance of it's occurrence"...this is a little over my head, but it's a great book and he, Pauling and other MD's (many referenced in the book) have used large doses of C for long periods of time with seemingly no ill effects...how much did Pauling take each day?

I am curious what the people here think of his "bowel tolerance" test to see how much your body needs and that doing it now and them will help clean out your system and tell you how your overall health is?

paintdrying2

That bowel tolerance test is fine. I do the test with a powdered form. Supposedly the test will tell you accurately how much your body needs. My overall health is very good. I eat the best food I can eat and exercise. I am lucky, I just stay healthy and do not require vitamins, herbs ect. I keep my flora strong and my liver functioning very effectively. And my enzyme levels high.

jbo

I'm taking 2,000mg of vitamin C a day, but I'm starting to think I should stop. Every now and then I see somebody who lives to be a 100 years old and I never hear about them giving credit to a vitamin they took.

I understand taking a vitmain if you have a condition or a deficiency, but we've gone from trying to compensate for not getting your vitamins through food to thinking that we have to take a vitamin.

Personally I think you should eat more foods that are high in vitamin C than trying to pop a pill if you think you need more vitamin C than you are normally getting. I just don't think anything replaces food

Dr Weil has some info on his website
https://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART02811/facts-on-vitamin-c