Go Back Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Diabetes

� #1
Old 07-28-2010, 12:03 AM
Beloved enlightener...always with us in spirit
nightowl is on a distinguished road
Default Lack of zinc linked to diabetes

Lack of zinc linked to diabetes

07-26-10

A U.S. researcher says zinc may play a role in blood sugar regulation and in avoiding type 2 diabetes.
Ayyalusamy Ramamoorthy of the University of Michigan suggests in type 2 diabetes -- a protein called amylin forms dense clumps that shut down insulin-producing cells. However, in the presence of zinc, amylin does not form clumps.
"We found that one of the likely factors stopping amylin from attacking the insulin-producing islet cells of the pancreas is zinc, which normally is found in high amounts in these cells, but is deficient in people with type 2 diabetes," Ramamoorthy says in a statement. "By understanding what stops amylin from attacking islet cells in normal people, we hope we'll be able to understand how it is attacking them in people with diabetes."
The research, published in the Journal of the American Chemical Society, suggests zinc prevents amylin -- also known as Islet Amyloid Polypeptide -- from forming harmful clumps.

Ramamoorthy and colleagues looked at how amylin acts with and without zinc present using several methods, including nuclear magnetic resonance spectroscopy.
"Ultimately, we want to understand how the whole scenario leads to type 2 diabetes," Ramamoorthy says.

I think we discussed a while back that oysters have a lot of zink.

Last edited by nightowl; 07-28-2010 at 07:02 AM.
� #2
Old 07-28-2010, 05:45 AM
perpetual student
jfh is just really nicejfh is just really nicejfh is just really nicejfh is just really nicejfh is just really nice

Hi nightowl. Do you still have a link to the source article? I like to send things like this to my numerous type 1 and type 2 diabetic friends. None of them are into alternative methods; so I like to send references along with the information.

The article should indicate that you should supplement no more than 50mg of zinc per day.

"We all love ourselves more than other people, but care more about their opinion than our own." - Emperor Marcus Aurelius
� #3
Old 07-28-2010, 06:56 AM
Beloved enlightener...always with us in spirit
nightowl is on a distinguished road

This is where the story originated from...UPI.

https://www.upi.com/Health_News/2010/...0981279928549/
� #4
Old 08-03-2010, 02:20 AM
Lecturer
knightofalbion has a spectacular aura aboutknightofalbion has a spectacular aura aboutknightofalbion has a spectacular aura about

An excellent post, Nightowl. Thanks for posting.

Zinc, yes and chronium - which I see has been highlighted elsewhere in this section - and also magnesium, a mineral which is usually lacking in diabetics. (It is needed to process insulin.)
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.