Go Back Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Health Insurance

� #1
Old 01-27-2012, 09:56 AM
Reader
HeavyTZM is on a distinguished road
Default ObamaCare and Big Pharma

I've heard a lot of alternative news outlets mention that ObamaCare really benefits Big Pharma in some way. Does anyone know of any sources that outline exactly how this is done?
� #2
Old 01-27-2012, 10:41 AM
Lecturer
pinballdoctor is on a distinguished road

I don't generally comment on US presidents, however, Obama is rapidly becoming the worst president since Nixon, or maybe even worse, and he has only been in power for 3 years.

Obama works for big pharma, well not directly, but received huge donations from them as well wall street, etc., just check where all his major donations came from. Once elected, he forgot about all the promises he made and instead, gave an enormous amount of $$$ to these corrupt people along with tax breaks, etc., while removing constitutional rights from everyone else.

How is Obama going to benefit big pharma even more than he does now? He would start by insuring the millions of uninsured people and dump that cost onto the taxpayer. Then, how many of those millions would be put on several prescription drugs? $$$ ... and tests? $$$ Then protect big pharma from "generic" drugs, meaning you pay alot more for each and every drug. Then get more children on prescription drugs through teen screen and other stupid programs.
� #3
Old 01-30-2012, 11:33 AM
Observer
AmandaD is on a distinguished road

I think all of your arguments are valid and the health care reform law could be interpreted that way but the last two arguments regarding generic prescription drugs and prescribing children more prescriptions seems more like an opinion. As far as requiring people to get insurance, I think most wise people already have health insurance. Basically this mandate is to get those who don't have insurance to get it and stop using the emergency room as their doctor's office and then not being able to pay. The only other alternative would be not to treat someone who can't pay or doesn't have insurance and I'm sure most would agree that's unethical and wrong.
� #4
Old 07-02-2012, 05:43 AM
Lecturer
EarlyBird is on a distinguished road
Angry

The ONLY decent thing about Obamacare is that it covers kids thru age 26.
The Justices did us no favors by calling this thing legal.
� #5
Old 07-02-2012, 12:33 PM
Standing at the Portal
Arrowwind09 has a spectacular aura aboutArrowwind09 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaD View Post
I think all of your arguments are valid and the health care reform law could be interpreted that way but the last two arguments regarding generic prescription drugs and prescribing children more prescriptions seems more like an opinion. As far as requiring people to get insurance, I think most wise people already have health insurance. Basically this mandate is to get those who don't have insurance to get it and stop using the emergency room as their doctor's office and then not being able to pay. The only other alternative would be not to treat someone who can't pay or doesn't have insurance and I'm sure most would agree that's unethical and wrong.
Im not sure what PBD meant by protecting big pharma from generic drugs.. Big pharma makes the generic drugs too.

Yes, more kids will be on medicine and chronic illness will continue to climb. Go to a doctor and most of the time you get a drug. My kids would have been drug saturated by now if I didn't figure out how to cure their issues on my own. They were heading for a course though hell with conventional medicine.. till I said no more and found another way. How much money has my insurance paid out to doctors for my kids since I made that decision... 0 dollars. We have been independent in that respect even though we did have insurance available. What percentage of children are on drugs just to attend school now? Something like one in five.

I no longer have insurance as my husband retired and I left the work force too. We dont have the money for it and just barely get our basic bills paid every month.

I resent that the government has decided to muscle me into purchase or fine and I feel that it is another loss for our freedom based on constitutional law. I will avoid insurance if I can. They can fine me and I wont pay.. They might put me in jail and that will cost them a bundle. You cant get water out of a rock...but likely they wont even find me because I no longer file income tax. I take care of my own and if something serious happened that I couldnt handle on my own I would head to Mexico for treatment as I have found conventional medicine to not be all that great for some difficult things.

Also its pretty laughable that the fine for not having insurance is about $650.... when it costs, at least at this point in time, $200 a month for the most crappy insurance.

My husband gets VA medical benefits and he earned them with his years in Vietnam according to law.

I would be a lot more happy about the program if it covered the doctor of my choice but as it stands it only covers drug pushers. When Im ill I want someone who can heal though the use of God's natual gifts to humanity.
� #6
Old 07-02-2012, 02:36 PM
perpetual student
jfh is a jewel in the roughjfh is a jewel in the roughjfh is a jewel in the roughjfh is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowwind09 View Post
I resent that the government has decided to muscle me into purchase or fine and I feel that it is another loss for our freedom based on constitutional law.
I believe that if you have no income or are under the poverty level, you will not be penalized. I don't know if living on ones savings counts. I believe the rule is that if you can afford it, but choose not to, then you will be penalized.

By the time it is enacted, I will already be on Medicare. What I would resent is that I can only buy insurance in Texas. Why couldn't I get Romneycare? I'm forced to pay noncompetitive prices. And the prices are huge.

"I am not young enough to know everything." - Oscar Wilde
� #7
Old 07-04-2012, 07:53 AM
Lecturer
Mad Scientest has a spectacular aura aboutMad Scientest has a spectacular aura aboutMad Scientest has a spectacular aura about

There still is much about this bill that we have no idea of how it will effect us.
Why does this need to be thousands of pages long? Unless they are actively trying to hid something from us, and of course government would never do anything like that.
� #8
Old 07-02-2012, 06:59 AM
Explorer
Gnomenclature is on a distinguished road

Sorry if I must disagree about the negative views of Obamacare. As a 50-something woman who has been uninsured for months now because of the absurdity of trying to purchase individual health insurance, I would love to have the ability to pay for my own insurance rather than take a chance I will end up costing all of you money if something happens to me. Yay, personal responsibility.

As of August 1st I will have coverage again, but only because my husband just happened to get a corporate job where he has access to group insurance.

It's true that health insurance does little for me and my real dollars are spent on alternative things that actually work for me, but conventional medicine has its uses as well and I would just as soon have some access to it than not.

I'm not sure how long it will take for the medical politics begun here in the 30s to calm down so we can focus on everything that works and not about one segment preserving their market share at the expense of people's health, but in time that artificial division will come to an end as patient demand and good science backs up the things we all do that so obviously work.
� #9
Old 07-02-2012, 07:50 AM
perpetual student
jfh is a jewel in the roughjfh is a jewel in the roughjfh is a jewel in the roughjfh is a jewel in the rough

I agree gnomenclature. There are few things that I like about this reform. I'm a year away from Medicare, so much of it will do nothing for me. Except that it will plug the hole in the prescription stuff. Won't help me, if I don't have prescriptions, but who knows what the future holds. I have a few friends that had to find new jobs, hence new insurance. They have preexisting conditions. I hope this new rule will help. I am happy for the penalty to those that can afford to buy insurance, but don't. I doubt there are so many, but there should be no freeloaders. That's what Romney called them. Freeloaders.
� #10
Old 07-02-2012, 08:16 AM
Lecturer
liverock is just really niceliverock is just really niceliverock is just really niceliverock is just really niceliverock is just really nice

Some cogent points about Obamacare.

https://lewrockwell.com/sardi/sardi224.html
� #11
Old 07-25-2012, 09:32 AM
Standing at the Portal
Arrowwind09 has a spectacular aura aboutArrowwind09 has a spectacular aura about

You know. I think that film is a bunch of propaganda. Not that Im for the bill..because Im not... but stuff like this does not help people to understand the truth of the matter.

that insertion of ACORN is BS. ACORNs power is about a big as a fly terd in the whole scheme of things and it is done merely to outrage the unthinking masses who have projected all this power onto acorn that just does not exist. Then at the end of the film they give a link to the bill so you can check it all out for yourself and of course the link does not work.

Actually, Im pretty sure the bill will never be implemented considering how bankrupt the states and counties, and cities are. There is no money to implement it on any governmental level. Our state had defaulted on medicaid payments for three years in a row now, forcing the closure of a number of facilities. You cant get blood out of a stone, nor can you provide care to patients if employees are not paid. So far I have not seen forced endentured servitude of doctors, nurses and CNAs outlined... and if they think that limiting a doctors wage will solve some problems, they better think again... already I know doctors who can barely afford to practice and are buring their wicks at both ends trying to keep up. They will just leave the practice before they run themselves into the ground. If this bill is implemented it will topple everything.
� #12
Old 02-10-2013, 03:53 AM
Observer
lorial is on a distinguished road

I should get along and I largely have. When I feel a pain, I try to eliminate even more sugar than before.
� #13
Old 02-11-2013, 06:11 AM
Guide
Ajax will become famous soon enoughAjax will become famous soon enough

Hmm. Under Obamacare health insurance would cost you $750 a year tops. Many people on Cobra are paying more than that per month. And Big Pharma ****ed their pants over Obamacare and spent billions trying to kill it. I think the Fox News misinformation department did a great spin on this -- it's nothing but good for everyone EXCEPT Big Pharma.
� #14
Old 02-11-2013, 11:28 AM
Explorer
newlife is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyTZM View Post
I've heard a lot of alternative news outlets mention that ObamaCare really benefits Big Pharma in some way. Does anyone know of any sources that outline exactly how this is done?
Not just big pharma but medical device manufacturers, insurance companies, etc . . .

Never in the history of capitalism in the USA have Corporate entities lobbied for policies that reduce their profitability, yet this is their argument; the logic being that paying health care costs for 'prevention', vaccinations, and annual screenings early will reduce overall health care costs for everybody. Well, this would be a first. . . an industry that spends millions to lobby for policies that will make them less money.

I noticed that the OP is/was located in Korea. If so, then you've already experienced Obama Care. (Which I believe is what industry insiders consider as a gleaming example of high profitability in socialized health care)

For others, here's how it works in Korea:

Every Korean Citizen is required to be insured. Like Obama Care, health care pricing is relative to income. Under this system, every employee is required to partake in annual health screenings. If they do not, their employers are fined. Most people think of these once a year events as a chance to get a day off from work and a measure to "prevent" illnesses. These annual screenings are an industry in its own right, with large hospitals dedicating entire wings on health care screenings.

On a typical day, you will see perfectly healthy looking working aged people lined up, lounging, and being shuttled back and forth from department to department. If not for their patient outfits, you'd think that this was a scene from an International airport. Even though I am US Citizen, I've had the opportunity to experience the "Korean Health Care System" due to the fact that my uncle is the chief of one of the largest hospitals in Seoul. Here's the run down of my eventful day:

1. Key, Locker room, change clothes. Professional, clean, and fast.
2. Typical annual stuff. Weight, height, Body mass index, blood pressure, etc . . .
3. Sonogram of all major organs.
4. Chest X-ray. I was highly hesitant of this due to the fact that sonogram results offered no irregularities, I had zero symptoms, and I am a non-smoker. Everybody told me that this X-ray was "Good for me." (X-Rays are absolutely not good for you but we can cover this another time.)
5. After my x-ray results came back (no problems), they wanted to cat scan, A la carte'. Kidney, liver, lungs, etc . . . . I told them absolutely not. No way in hell. When I was firm about it, they chuckled and told me, "that's fine."
6. They gave me a choice between stomach cat-scan vs. endoscopy. Again, I have no symptoms at all and no other tests they did thus far showed any irregularities. Since I am not a fan of ionizing radiation, I went for the endoscopy. After a few uncomfortable moments, including a 100lb nurse holding me down(in case I go crazy and stand up?) they told me I have nothing. . .
7. They suggested colonoscopy. (Again, no symptoms at all. . . ) They told me that they would put me under. I told them, "No thanks".
8. By the way, this is when the typical Korean worker gets shot up with all the annual vaccinations.

Had I gone through all of this stuff, the full cost would have been well over $5,000 US dollars. The machines are leased from medical companies who instruct hospitals how to best leverage these machines for profit. Having national policies placed that forces people to partake in these activities makes things much easier. The kicker is that most people do not know about these machines and flowchart of mainstream health. Thus they in fact instruct their Doctors to give them "EVERYTHING". They want every test and every medicine because they want to squeeze every benefit that is given to them. This is where Obama Care is headed.

*Interestingly, everybody in the hospital seemed to understand that the whole thing was a big money making scam. "Come on, you know what this is all about. . ." etc . . . (Except the radiology technician. . . He was a curiously ignorant fellow, refusing to give me a lead coat in the x-ray room and even worse, working all day long and hanging out with his patients next to them, positioning them and simply chatting next to them while x-rays were being taken.)
� #15
Old 02-11-2013, 12:44 PM
Guide
Ajax will become famous soon enoughAjax will become famous soon enough

They lobbied heavily AGAINST Obamacare because the maximum out of pocket for individuals is $750 a year and pharma has to accept medicare prices for prescriptions, they are unable to charge skys-the-limit like they do now. So many people haven't bothered to actually read the new health policy but rely on 3rd or 4th party information which is so often flat out lies.

Name one health plan that will insure a 60 year old person for $750 a year. There is none. And you may be surprised how many healthy-looking people aren't healthy at all.
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.