Go Back Natural Medicine Talk > Health > Women's Health

� #1
Old 01-03-2014, 12:17 PM
Observer
moneill21 is on a distinguished road
Default sleeping in is ruining my life but i just can't get out of bed?!

I could really use the help from a medical professional.

I have a debilitating problem where I cannot get out of bed for work or personal commitments.I always feel proud of myself when I get up early and make it to work 10 minutes early, but this is a rare occurrence. I am normally 10-20 minutes late, and that is on a good day. Some days I hit the snooze on my alarm 15 times before I get out of bed after I call and say I'm stuck in traffic or have a headache. I so badly want to be a morning person where I get up and go to yoga then go to work and have time to eat breakfast, but I'm so discouraged because I just can't seem to get out of bed. I don't even have enough time usually to brush my hair let alone eat breakfast. I will dream up excuses why I was late and while I'm sleeping they make sense but in reality they don't at all.

It's to the point where every day is a gamble with my job. I work as a medical office assistant and don't particularly like it, I'm aware that this is part of the problem. It isn't challenging enough, there is no advancement, and it's very mundane, but it's been a stable and relatively well-paying job. I have about $9000 debt with credit cards for to a job loss last year so I need a job that pays well so I can address this before I can leave. I sometimes look for other work and recently applied for a somewhat similar job that pays more, but ultimately I think I'm just in the wrong area of work. Desk jobs are awful. I achieved my RHN diploma in 2012 so I think I want to pursue that but am sort of lost as to which direction to go.

Also, about 2 years ago I went through a very traumatic experience where my best guy friend and I had a falling out. I loved him very much. We had previously tried dating but I could not fully love him the way I wanted to as we shared all mutual friends and I couldn't get over my fear of losing all of my friends, should something happen between him and I. When he and I had our falling out, however, that is what happened. There had been a couple dramatic events due to my hurt that he was acting like I didn't exist, plus I was also going through the loss of my uncle to cirrhosis. I found the combination of these things to make for the most difficult and disheartening part of my life thus far. So after these outbursts of emotion I was excluded from the group. I went through depression for the last 1.5 years, making it that much more difficult to get out of bed. With help from a psychologist I feel I am emotionally ready to move on from this trauma of social rejection, but physically I still cannot get out of bed.

It has been 2 days into my new year's resolution to be 10 minutes early for work and today I was 2 hours late because I just wanted to keep sleeping. Then it's a vicious circle of who knows I'm not there yet and if I'm going to get fired, plus then working until 730 pm to make up the time isn't favorable either. I wish i could start at 6 and go to 3 or something (my boss is flexible and I'm sure he wouldn't mind this but I don't want to ask in case I physically can't do this).

This problem affects my work, my finances, my relationships at work (as it must look like I'm just lazy and feel like I can come and go as I please).

I try to eat quiet healthfully but it's also very expensive. I want to move out of my mom's as well.. I crave the independence, but it's much too expensive to live on my own in this city, and I haven't made any new friends really. I feel as if all is against me right now.

I'm considering hypnosis if there's nothing else. I recently went to a naturopath who gave me a 4-point cortisol test to do. I hope it gives some insight.

What can I do??
� #2
Old 01-03-2014, 06:04 PM
Explorer
RodsHealth is on a distinguished road

Your first sentence sums up my initial response. Your problems are too complex to be solved by an anonymous poster on an Internet forum. You need professional help. However, start with checking out sleep disorders (sleep apnea in particular) and depression. When you have some sensible diagnosed, maybe the good folks here can help with some solutions.
� #3
Old 01-03-2014, 09:25 PM
...elusive dreamer
Wiki Editor
kind2creatures is just really nicekind2creatures is just really nicekind2creatures is just really nicekind2creatures is just really nicekind2creatures is just really nice

Hello Moneill21, welcome to the forum. None of us here are medical professionals, just regular people who care about others, and try to live as happy and healthy of a life as we can.

Not wanting to get out of bed is definitely a sign of depression, but I think if you put your mind to it, you can change things on your own, one step at a time. You're feeling very overwhelmed, I'm sure, with not being satisfied with your present job, your credit card debt, etc. I can definitely understand why you're feeling down right now.

I'm sorry for the loss of your uncle, my condolences. I think most of us have been hurt in love relationships in the past, but please remember, it is the past. I recommend that you try not to dwell on it, and look to make the best of your todays and your future.

Even though you're not happy in your job, it is better to do all you can to keep it right now. You need some financial stability and steady income, until you can find something better. You don't want to stop working where you are now, until you're ready to make the change. You must be in control, and don't leave your fate to your boss or anyone else. You can be in charge of everything you do, once you set your mind to it.

First you really should stop saying that you can't do certain things. You can do them. I'm not a morning person either, but I saw to it that I got out of bed when the alarm rang and made it to the bathroom. Once you put on a radio, brush your teeth and wash your face, you feel much better and can continue with your day. No snooze alarm, just tell yourself, when you're ready to make the commitment, that tomorrow morning I'm going to wake up, sit on the side of my bed, take a deep breath and stretch out my arms, and begin a productive day at work.

Even if you don't plan to stay where you are, I would advise that you do a very good job there, show up on time, which meant for me at least 15 minutes early. Give it your best on the job site, and give a little more than expected at your work. Believe me, just doing that will make you feel better about yourself, and put you in a more positive mindset when you get home.

If you get up early enough where you don't have to rush around, and you can have a small nourishing breakfast, that will make a big difference. The times when I felt the lousiest and in the worst mood, was when I was running late all day...it is frustrating, and leaves a negative touch on everything you do that day. Take your shower at night, and set out all your clothes for the next day, so you don't have to hassle with that stuff in the morning. Make it as stress free as possible for yourself.

Are you able to sleep through the night? If not maybe you can try an herbal sleep capsule, like Solaray Sleep Blend. Start to put away any computer activities early, and do something relaxing an hour before bed. Dim the lights and try to have things quiet.

It's not a good idea to try to tackle everything at once. From the way I'm seeing it, your first priority is to get into a routine where you're getting a good night sleep, getting up on time, not allowing yourself any excuses not to, and getting to work a little early and doing a good job while you're there.

In time, when your managing your sleep and job better, you'll be able to work on moving out of your mom's house. Take advantage of it for now, maybe if you get a different job in the future, it will be more doable. With your financial debt, it's nice to have a mom that's willing to help out.

The mind is very powerful, you can develop a more positive attitude starting today. Don't say you can't, because you can if you really want to. Please don't dwell on the past, that time is gone and over with. Concentrate on today, and a better future for yourself. When you're at work, even though you should do a very good job there, in your mind you can be thinking about the bigger picture. Plan what can be, and go for it.

Some supplements you may use daily are vitamin B-50 complex, magnesium citrate and a good omega 3 fish oil. All of these will help with your nerves, stress and depression symptoms. Wishing you the very best, and please feel free to talk about how things are going with you.

I wouldn't worry too much about any new year's resolutions at all. Just set your mind to be more positive, make a life style change starting today if possible, and go from there. Good luck, good night, and have a good tomorrow!
� #4
Old 04-30-2014, 02:36 PM
Explorer
larryz is on a distinguished road

Yes, I think you're going about in the wrong way to begin with. "Medical professionals" are mostly wedding to the medical model of drugs and suppressing symptoms.

98% of health and mental problems can be solved by a change in diet along with the addition of nutritional supplements, exercise. No drugs.

Tags
depression, sleep
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.